PDA

View Full Version : Odd creatures seemed good food for GSM's

mandktod
12/16/2003, 07:49 AM
Lat night after the lights went out on the tank, I noticed my GSM's appeared to be eating someting, so I went over for a closer look, yep they were deffinatley cathcing something and eating them but I could not see what is was so i got out my trusty red light and could see hundreds of something's floating around in the bottom of the tank but still could not see what they were.

i got out my regular flashlight and could see little fuzzy white critters swimming aorund reall there were hundreds of them, they looked like fuzzy white mesqitto larvae sp? only smaller, they were sqiggling around as they went across the tank to be devoured by my GSM's who really seemed to enjoy the late night snack.

I have had a pepermint shrimp that was very very fat with eggs and I ahve not been able to find it in a couple days, could these have been the baby shrimp? any ideas?

Thanks Mark

Rendos
12/16/2003, 08:52 AM
I doubt it is shrimp babies. More than likely they are copepods.

mandktod
12/16/2003, 08:58 AM
That was my first thought but I guess I had never seen them before, I have seent he little flea like things that run around under the rocks and I ahve seen the ones that look like shrimp but these I had never seen, not to mention the amount of them.

I guess the GSM's like them as they were really going to town on them, it is a shame my yellow wrasse had already buried himself he missed out on a buffet that I am sure he would have enjoyed without having to pick at the rocks. Thanks Mark

Entropy
12/16/2003, 10:43 AM
My ocellaris clown does the same thing when the lights go off (pretty much all the fish I have do actually). The pods are not very fast (at least the swimming ones). I like to think of them as desert for the fishes since I feed them brine at night. :D