PDA

View Full Version : Why don't the Patriots get the props they deserve?

toddpolish
12/16/2003, 12:43 AM
just like the superbowl 2 years ago...why is that?

Old Yeller Tang
12/16/2003, 05:19 AM
Probably because they have no running game. It hasn't hurt them yet but it might. They don't have any real big names on offense other than Brady and I don't think he's considered a premier QB.

PaintGuru
12/16/2003, 07:00 AM
And what kind of props do the deserve? Best team ever? They get the same props as KC, Indy, Tenn, etc.

64Ivy
12/16/2003, 07:21 AM
1. No individual superstar therefore no one to claim they're a victim or a slave at 15 million per year.
2. They don't represent an actual town hence fans have no central place to set on fire after victories.
3. The name 'Patriots' doesn't instill fear in anyone except the Hollywood Left and British guys who've been dead for 250 years. Very poor demographics.
4. No 'Dog Pound', 'Pig Pen', or other designated area for really fat fans to dress up as mouldering corpses.
5. No flashy names for offensive or defensive line like 'The Phat Boyz' or 'My Babyz Daddyz'.
6. No really cool 'hometown' food. Clam chowder not the best tailgate party offering.
7. Ted Kennedy is from New England.
8. Hard for cheerleaders to 'sell it' in North Face snowpants.
9. Bellichek never goes on Sports Center in pimp hat reffering to his upcoming opponents as 'B**ches'.
10. All they do is win a lot. I mean, come on guys, this is SPORTS!!

srit1
12/16/2003, 09:36 AM
3. The name 'Patriots' doesn't instill fear in anyone except the Hollywood Left and British guys who've been dead for 250 years. Very poor demographics.

Interesting comment 64Ivy. Ever read the book Treason by Ann Coulter?

Anyway - all of those reasons are correct - the only other thing I would add is that they DO get sufficient props - take a look at espn.com power rankings for example.

64Ivy
12/16/2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by srit1
Interesting comment 64Ivy. Ever read the book Treason by Ann Coulter?
Nah. Think I'm gonna wait for the movie. ;)

weege1
12/16/2003, 10:32 AM
They dont need props, and they dont want props. Keep them as the underdog, thats when they play at their best....

They man 1 on ESPN's power rankings last week..... Yes the pats don't get the props but we DON'T NEED THEM!!!!!!

gpajon
12/16/2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by weege1
They dont need props, and they dont want props. Keep them as the underdog, thats when they play at their best....

They man 1 on ESPN's power rankings last week..... Yes the pats don't get the props but we DON'T NEED THEM!!!!!!

Hey let's have a parade!!!!!!!

STOP WHINING!!!!!

weege1
12/16/2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by gpajon
Hey let's have a parade!!!!!!!

STOP WHINING!!!!!

Did that REALLY sound like I was whining!!! Like I said before, no props for the pats it's OK with me!!!!

hubris007
12/16/2003, 01:30 PM
Bah, the real reason is that they aren't all that good. It's not like they're the colts or the rams (ie: superbowl bound.)

toddpolish
12/16/2003, 01:37 PM
2 teams they are more than capable of beating....and have beat.

srit1
12/16/2003, 01:42 PM
pats eagles baby

weege1
12/16/2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by hubris007
Bah, the real reason is that they aren't all that good. It's not like they're the colts or the rams (ie: superbowl bound.) \

Did you watch the Pats beat the Colts!!?? What a goal line stand.....

hubris007
12/16/2003, 03:18 PM
I was at that game. And yes, it was one hell of a stand. (man the officiating blew in that game, on both sides.)

weege1
12/16/2003, 03:30 PM
I was at that game. And yes, it was one hell of a stand. (man the officiating blew in that game, on both sides.)

Yes it blew on both sides, Must have been one hell of a game to be at!!! One of he best games I have ever seen....

hubris007
12/16/2003, 04:06 PM
5th row, 0 yard line. Got to see the f'ing stand all too well.

weege1
12/16/2003, 04:08 PM
5th row, 0 yard line. Got to see the f'ing stand all too well.

LOL :D That was TOOOOOO Funny!!!! Great seats, U must be a season ticket holder.

I've been waiting 6 years for my season tickets :mad2:

hubris007
12/16/2003, 04:44 PM
Nah, got em at the humane society auction...can you say tax write off? :):):)

3_high_low
12/17/2003, 09:56 AM
If they keep winning, only two more road games for the Patriots, the Jets and the Superbowl:D. Props would be nice but I'm more interested in getting a second Lombardi trophy in three years.

Rams vs Patriots in a rematch.

SCARYBO
12/17/2003, 11:47 PM
It could be worse. Try being a Raider's Fan this year. The only thing they have done consistently is deny steroid use.

jon007
12/18/2003, 06:36 AM
Pats are overrated, they will lose in the playoffs. Go Broncos!!!!!

srit1
12/18/2003, 09:33 AM
lol - broncos

now there's an overrated team from the season outset

3_high_low
12/18/2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by SCARYBO
It could be worse. Try being a Raider's Fan this year. The only thing they have done consistently is deny steroid use.

Hey, you can always cry some more about the tuck rule:D (I know, this was uncalled for but I still had the pic from a couple years ago.)

hubris007
12/18/2003, 10:53 AM
that rule is bs. Pure and simple. And it doesn't matter who you root for.

3_high_low
12/18/2003, 11:14 AM
I agree Hubris. It's one of the rules that contribute to the wussification of football. But it is a rule and it was properly enforced.

LOL the Pats are over- rated, all they've done is win 10 in a row, they have a 12-2 record, they've beat every team with a winning record that they've faced, and clinched the AFC East. Next year they have two first rounders and seven picks overall in the first 4 rounds of the draft. Yup that sounds like a team that is overrated lmao.

Does anyone think the overrated team might be in KC? They can't stop the run. And if you stop their running game they will struggle. How many times did Dante Hall pull their arse from the fire with miracle returns? (Denver fans might know.) The Chiefs are beatable!

hubris007
12/18/2003, 11:58 AM
Well, if my Rams can just get past the Bengals this weekend, it should be smooth sailing from here out. I hate these dang spoiler teams that have a good game every 20 games or so. You just can't tell when they're gonna burn you on some last minute goalline stand or something.

3_high_low
12/18/2003, 12:02 PM
Hubris,

Last I checked the Bengals were in first in the AFC North(?). Hard to believe but they have a pretty good squad. They will give the Rams a good fight but I like the Rams at home.

hubris007
12/18/2003, 12:11 PM
Isn't that one of the first signs of the apocolipse?

3_high_low
12/18/2003, 12:15 PM
lol It's the second sign. The first was Tampa Bay winning the SB:D

hubris007
12/18/2003, 12:48 PM
Oh, come on. The bucks deserved that win. I don't lump them in with the likes of the bengals.
In my little world, i have always seen the browns, chargers, cards and bengals as the teams least likely to ever beat anyone. Heck didn't the chargers prove that by making it to the big game a while back? Man, how many years did it take the NFL to get advertisers back after that fiasco?
I much prefer the way they rigged things to get the pats to win just as we were in troubled times and really needed a boost for 'patriot'ism. hehe, jk

3_high_low
12/18/2003, 01:07 PM
lol the Pats/NFL conspiracy.

Yeah the Bucs were the best last year. But do you remember the days of orange uniforms, coach McKay, Vinny Testeverde, Steve Young, the winless season? (Dating myself here lol.) They didn't look like they'd ever break 500, nevermind a SB win.

srit1
12/18/2003, 01:47 PM
Remember Tampa Bay is the ONLY team to ever go WINLESS in a season. They were BY FAR the worst franchise for many years. People forget that the Bengals were in the SUPER BOWL only 15 yrs ago =)

The new Bucs are the AZ Cards for sure....

KC has a pretty good passing game as well - Trent Green is one of the higher rated QBs in the AFC

Pats not overrated but a few of their wins were "lucky" like the game against the Broncos - the ball bounced the right way on that Safety kickoff thereby screwing the broncos a bit - however the pats still stopped the broncos to force a 3 and out and still completed a great comeback drive to win... so its not really all that lucky... not overrated at all

I dont think Cheifs are either - THEY can DOMINATE teams with Priest back there... I think the Ravens are overrated especially now that they may not even make the playoffs

hubris007
12/18/2003, 02:31 PM
Have the bucks won a game when it's lower than 40 degrees yet? I still think that's a pretty cool stat.
And the current browns did NOT go to the big game. You are thinking of the ravens, aren't you?

Old Yeller Tang
12/18/2003, 04:13 PM
Have the bucks won a game when it's lower than 40 degrees yet? I still think that's a pretty cool stat.
And the current browns did NOT go to the big game. You are thinking of the ravens, aren't you?

I'm not sure but didn't the Bucs beat the Eagles in Philly last year or was it not that cold then? This is one crazy year in football as there are no true dominant teams out there. I really didn't know what the Ravens were thinking when they let Dilfer go after their Super Bowl win a few years ago but that might've cost them a SB this year as their QB situation is their only weak spot. Their "D" would be tuff to beat in the playoffs but their offense makes it too difficult to win games. They totally dominated that game against the Rams but offense let them down yet again. Rams might want to go with Warner in the playoffs as I'm still not convinced Bulger is the answer. He's good for at least 2 pics a game and that could hurt in the playoffs. Geez, this thread is about the Patriots and I went rambling on about the NFL. Sorry about that! Pats, Chiefs, or Indy will most likely represent the AFC in the Superbowl which I think is stronger than the NFC right now as the NFC will probably have the Lambs or Eagles representing them and the AFC should win this one.

One more note, the Bucs were just 4pts from making the Super Bowl back when Doug Williams and Co was leading the team where they lost to the Lambs in the battle of field goals. Ofcourse, they went back to being the lowly Bucs till last year after that.

srit1
12/18/2003, 05:33 PM
"And the current browns did NOT go to the big game. You are thinking of the ravens, aren't you?"

No I said the Bengals, but it brings up an interesting point.

The NFL considers the Browns (new) to be the same Browns (old).
They consider the Ravens (new) to be the Baltimore Colts.
And they consider the Indy Colts to be the expansion team.

Thats their official stance on which franchise claims which records. This apparently is so its less confusing when you say Jim Brown was never on this Clevand Brown team. But I think it confuses things more. I say the Browns are expansion. The Ravens are the old Browns and the Colts are the Colts. Regardles, both the old Browns and the old Colts at some point were quite good - winning championships. Yes the new Browns never have.

PaintGuru
12/18/2003, 06:01 PM
Hey did you see, no Tom Brady at the Pro Bowl! Let the whining begin.

srit1
12/18/2003, 06:05 PM
thats fine - other good QBs are going - McNair, Green, and Manning - all understandable choices

hubris007
12/19/2003, 12:39 PM
srit. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the expansions. Oh well. Hey, who wants to debate this bs "must make a 'football move' to count as a catch in the endzone?"
Personally, if the guy has posession in the air, gets two feet in, then bobbles the ball out of bounds, it's a damn catch. If you can fumble in the endzone and still get a td because you broke the plane with possession, the same should hold true for a catch.

toddpolish
12/19/2003, 12:50 PM
Brady would rather play in the OTHER bowl rather than the Pro Bowl.
if McNair can't play, I'm sure Brady will be the replacement anyways.

no big deal. those three that made the pro bowl are well deserved. no whining around here.

3_high_low
12/19/2003, 01:00 PM
It's nice to see some new blood in there. McNair and Green are both deserving first timers. And you can't argue with Manning's numbers.

I'd rather have Brady win another SB MVP:D

srit1
12/19/2003, 02:07 PM
I agree

srit1
12/19/2003, 02:08 PM
Pats look good to get to the Super Bowl

so dothe Eagles - they win out - they get home field.. Rams come to play in cold - Eagles pull that out

Pats - Eags - rematch of Week 2 blowout bowl

kevlouie
12/19/2003, 02:09 PM
The important thing is the Titans just signed the quarterback to lead them to the Super Bowl. Neil O'Donnell! Yeah laugh it up he knows the system.

C'mon guys do any of you really think Tom Brady is as good as Steve McNair? He may be on a better team, but when you add up toughness, arm strength, agility (when healthy) and desire, the only category he matches up with Steve is desire. There may be a couple of things he does better, like not overthrow as much and doesn't make as many mistakes, but its all arbitrary I guess. Steve is the highest rated QB in the leauge. Peyton dear lord what bad can you say about him, if he was a little faster he would be the best of all time.

srit1
12/19/2003, 02:22 PM
Well... McNair - everyone says how tough he is - which is true he plays through injuries.... BUT HE GETS INJURED ALL THE TIME. People seem to ignore that fact. Why not say he's fragile... like they have in the past about Fred Taylor.

Also he isnt the same system QB that Brady is. In the Pats offensive system, I'd take Brady. In the Titans - I'd take McNair.
So it depends I think.

Here are 2 ways of looking at McNair's perceived toughness:
He gets injured and his tough so he plays.
Everyone QB gets injured and plays but there isnt as much media hype over their injuries so they are deemed normal toughness. Good examples are Young, Favre, Manning, McNabb, and Brady.

Im not saying this is true necessarily but it is an alternative way of looking at McNair

kevlouie
12/19/2003, 02:29 PM
Steve is in no way fragile. I saw his thumb dam near broke off and he taped it up and came back in and won the game. He's not the one talking about how tough he is either, last week was the first game he missed in like 40-something starts, and the backup had to be hospitalized after the game. I tend to think our weakness is our offensive line. Its only average IMO.

srit1
12/19/2003, 02:41 PM
I know he isnt the one that hypes it - The media does.

Whether you can it fragility or not, he gets hurt an awful lot.

I tend to think other QBs (with similar playing styles) get banged up nearly as much but its just not made to be as big of a deal and I think it all stems from a few super serious injuries Steve had and played through so now every injury is covered to a great extent.

In Philly Mcnabb gets the same coverage ever since he played with a broken leg but it isnt nation wide like it is for Mcnair (to no fault of McNair's)

In Mass, Brady gets a weird coverage (because Mass is weird). Last season (second half) he played with a totally wack elbow,shoulder and basically BB and Tom never said anything about it (which is their style) and the media kinda said Tom was tough and kinda said Tom shouldnt have played (he did the entire time)

3_high_low
12/19/2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by kevlouie
The important thing is the Titans just signed the quarterback to lead them to the Super Bowl. Neil O'Donnell! Yeah laugh it up he knows the system.

Your in for a big surprise if you think O'Donnell will step in and do what McNair does for that team. I am laughing:lol: No McNair = one-and-done in the playoffs.

C'mon guys do any of you really think Tom Brady is as good as Steve McNair?

I think McNair is a better athlete. But I go by how the team does as a whole. Tom Brady has the highest winning percentage of all active QB's. The Patriots with Brady at QB have won a superbowl, McNair and the Titans have not. Now maybe if McNair were the NE QB they would have won too. Who knows?

hubris007
12/21/2003, 11:22 AM
So, are the current Rams considered the old Cardinals and the Arizona cardinals are expansion? How confusing. hehe

3_high_low
12/21/2003, 12:15 PM
Last night I thought it was odd how the announcers kept talking about how wonderful Pennington was - he had 5 INT's! These guys need to hear a tape of themselves. Bias commentating at it's best. I almost killed the sound and listened to the radio.

What's with Joe Namath? Was he just wasted? Did he have a stroke? I thought he was about lick Susie's face right on camera. "daah...I wanna kiss you...hick-up." :lol:

Payback time for Bufalo next week. Pats win this one and it's all home games 'til the SB. The Crafts must be happy about that! $$$$$$$

kevlouie
12/21/2003, 12:40 PM
Your in for a big surprise if you think O'Donnell will step in and do what McNair does for that team

Obviously (i thought) that was tongue in cheek. If the Titans don't win today AND sit McNair, they might be one and done anyway. O'Donnell = bandaid. Steves a gamer and he'll wanna play, I say don't let him. Pennington was just trying to do too much, and the ball seems to bouncing the Patriots way, don't see anybody beating them.

3_high_low
12/21/2003, 12:47 PM
Kev,

Who do you want to win tonight? Indi or Denver?

kevlouie
12/21/2003, 09:23 PM
Indy. Denver has to lose for the fins to get in and I would rather the Titans play at Cincy or Baltimore rather than KC or Indy.

toddpolish
12/22/2003, 12:00 AM
What's with Joe Namath? Was he just wasted? Did he have a stroke? I thought he was about lick Susie's face right on camera. "daah...I wanna kiss you...hick-up."

Namath said about 3 words slowly and I said to my girlfriend, "what's going on? holy (bleep)". That was even before the I wanna kiss you part he said. I couldn't believe it...I thought maybe parkinsons or MS or something. A stroke might be more likely. I did a search last night and could only find out that he suffers from osteoarthritis...but I doubt that had anything to do with the way he was talking.
I dunno....was he drunk...hmmm.....I doubt it though.

I wanna find out.

hubris007
12/22/2003, 10:42 AM
That was the most ****-poor officiating i have ever seen last night in the denver game. That roughing the passer was complete bs. While, to me it should be a catch, according to the new rules, that endzone catch was "bobbled" and should not have counted. Interesting the booth didn't feel the need to review it. (OK, fine, it's not like the colt's idiot coach would have, either. he hasn't challenged a play all year.)
Man, i'm grumpy. The colts aren't even my team and it's not like they deserved to win the game, but man that was hard to watch.
Oh well. Looks like they'll have to beat Denver in a rematch in two weeks. Hopefully they can get some less biased officiating.

3_high_low
12/22/2003, 11:40 AM
Hubris,

I liked the way that game went. Since Indi lost the Patriots clinched a bye in the first round. Now if they exact a little revenge for the 31-0 thumbing in game one against the Bills they will have home field avantage throughout the playoffs.

Did anyone see the end of the Saints game? Now that was some bad officiating. One of those laterals was clearly a forward pass. But then Carney missed the PAT that would've forced OT - justice served. Imagine the outrage if he had made it though.

3_high_low
12/22/2003, 11:44 AM
Todd,

From the talk on the radio I gather Namath was just drunk. No stroke, MS or Parkinsons. He made a fool of himself, plane and simple. Jets fans should be proud.:D

daclozer
12/22/2003, 05:57 PM
I think it is going to be a rematch.. St Louis Rams vs New England Patriots... That would be a very good game.......