PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm Exit

delusions
12/15/2003, 06:00 PM
Does anyone in the Sac area have any flatworm exit i could borrow for one or two doses? I have an inkling that there are a few flatworms in my tank that i would like to address before it becomes a problem.

thanks,
Patrick

ozmonster
12/15/2003, 06:23 PM
Exotic Aquarium had it last time I was in there. The problem with borrowing some is that you will probably need a full bottle to eradicate your 55 gallon.

The dosing is misleading. One bottle has enough to dose 300 gallons but I found that (if you have red planarium) one single dose doesn't cut it ... nor does two single doses.

You want to do a double or triple dose your first time and then do at least a couple single doses after that.

Even then, there is a good chance the FW (will come back after a few months). To keep from spreading and/or reintroducing, you should put a couple drops in the bags of all outgoing and incoming animals or liverock for the next 6 months (at least).

So you really should p/u a full bottle and have it there when you need it.

oz

AcroSteve
12/15/2003, 06:57 PM
I did 2 doses at about 120% a 3rd at about 100%.

If I were you, I would get two bottes. Or at least one with the option of two if it is close. Better to be prepared.

Photon
12/15/2003, 07:08 PM
Have you thought about buying some nudibranchs? There are some specialized ones for eating flatworms that are supposed to work great! I have never used them, but if I had a flatworm problem, I would try them.
James

delusions
12/16/2003, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I read that it would treat 300 gallons and thought id' only need a little, but i guess not.

Photon - I thought about nudibranchs, but i was worried about them killing off the entire tank if it died.

Anyone have experience with nudi's that was good? What particular species should i be looking for?

thanks

thereefgeek
12/19/2003, 02:06 AM
Search the BARE club forum for "flatworm". rustysnail mentioned a "certain nudibranch" that kept his in check and Bob Fenner mentioned one in his new book, but I can't find a pic or name. Personally, I'd opt for the natural predator over the bottle. I also thought I heard somewhere that arrow crabs eat them too, but I might be mistaken on that one.

Photon
12/19/2003, 02:43 AM
Check these out: "blue velvet nudibranchs"
I saw some for sale in one of the Bay area stores not too long ago. Supposedly, they work great!
James