PDA

View Full Version : Black marbles?

Mike C
07/06/2001, 10:28 AM
I have noticed these things attached to my LR that look like a black marble, same size as a marble, very shiny and black. I had one a few months ago and it dissapeared or hatched? I now have several more that have appeared from nowhere. I have no clue what they are....anyone?

Regards,
Mike.

johnny
07/06/2001, 11:05 AM
it's valonia.... a nuisance algae.... be careful when removing it not to pop it or it will release spores and create more "marbles". Emerald crabs are said to eat it.

Nick

Agu
07/06/2001, 12:04 PM
Does it look like this?

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/picture_pages/faq_valonia.html

Agu

Mike C
07/06/2001, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys, yes it does look like that. I only have 2 or 3 isolated though, not a carpet like that picture. Can I leave them alone, to be honest they are kinda nice looking imho. Also while I'm asking, I have a ton of purple circles(coraline?) algae growing on my glass and rocks, this is good correct? I am going to scrape it off the front viewing glass, but leave it alone on the sides and rocks right?

Regards and thanks,
Mike.

Niven
07/06/2001, 12:55 PM
Corraline - Good
Valonia - BAD
It will start to take over your tank. It sort of encrusts all over. GET RID OF IT NOW. Before you know it, it is all over.

People have always said not to pop them, but how does an emerald crab eat them with out popping them? It's always puzzled me.

Gareth

Agu
07/06/2001, 01:03 PM
One or two valonia are pretty, if it would stay just one or two. You will end up with a carpet if it's allowed to grow.

I use a siphon tube with a piece of rigid tubing on the end to remove valonia. use the rigid end to break it loose and the valonia and spores get siphoned out.

The coraline is a good sign of a healthy tank. You may want to reconsider letting it encrust the sides of your tank if it's not a built in tank. I find myself looking in the sides as often as the front.

FWIW,
Agu

Mike C
07/06/2001, 01:16 PM
Gotcha....no sides.
Thanks for the tips.

Mike.