PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Pipes

cjm3
12/13/2003, 02:19 PM
Hiya everyone, this is my first post on RC, but I've been little active on the Seahorse.Org...

I plan to purchase some Dwarf Pipefish from Florida Pets this week. They classify them as Cosmocampus hildebrandi.

Going to order 10 of them, and have a 10 gallon tank cycled and ready to go.

I will post info, description, and pics (if I can take few good ones)once they get here and settle down.

Wish me luck...

Chuck

neuroracer
12/17/2003, 02:36 PM
good luck, I'm interested in seeing the pics!:)

cjm3
12/21/2003, 12:54 PM
They arrived Thursday...sorry so long to post reply, but I all my extra time is used lookin in the tank!!!

The order was for 10 Dwarf Pipefish (described as Cosmocampus hildebrandi). One arrived dead, but only after given birth to 11 babies.
I do not fault the supplier for this, but the added stress of birthing ontop of shipping stress.

The remaining 9 range from 2 1/2 inches to a little over 3 1/2 inches in length. There colors are very simular to those of Dwarf Seahorses--light tans to medium browns.

Pictures will be coming soon, once I can get a viewable picture worth posting.

I was expecting them to be a little bigger. I had purchased a "order" of brine shrimp from LFS, but these were just too big for the pipes to eat.

I started a hatchery for bbs, but decided to try a brine shrimp order from the LFS I like better.
The shrimp of this order are a different size then the first order. They are about 1/3 smaller. Either a different species or more are sub-adults sized.

These are the right size for these small pipes to eat.

Have mixed the two orders of brine shrimp, 'cause the 25 Ghost Shrimp I got with the Pipes just love these adult brine of either size!

Unfortunately, I was not set up to handle baby pipes. But I have to start a rotifer culture soon, as 2 other males are carrying eggs.

Again, will post pics once I get some viewable ones.

Chuck

ozadars
12/21/2003, 03:11 PM
cool!
good luck w/ keeping them

StinkyNappy
12/21/2003, 03:13 PM
hey cjm3, remember me ..... Curly??

cjm3
12/27/2003, 11:53 AM
oh yeah, curly--living the double life too I see--LOL

NFed16