PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about computer projectors?

Evergreen
12/12/2003, 07:42 PM
I want to start putting together Powerpoint presentations. I know how to use Powerpoint.

What I need to be able to do is take presentations to different places, like Libraries, clubs etc. I guess I would need 1- a laptop with Powerpoint installed, and 2- a screen? and 3- a projector.

I have seen these where you attach it to the computer and it put up on the screen.
What do these run? Used? What features are good to look for and what other things should I look for? What are they called exactly? I might look on ebay..

Meisen
12/12/2003, 07:47 PM
They are fairly pricey. I have bought two in the past two years. First one was 1800.00 and second (much better one) was 1300 this spring. I have seen ones go up to 4000.00 for higher quality units. Basically you are getting features, lumens and resolution. Sounds like entry level would work fine here. I use only Infocus brand, others swear by their fav units. Smaller, less powerful ones are under 1000.00. Companies frequently upgrade and sell off the old ones, you could check out the auction sites for a deal. Used isnt a bad option if you are sure of # hours of use. Parts wear with excessive use and are quite expensive to replace.

carpetride
12/12/2003, 11:58 PM
I travel about 45 weeks a year giving powerpoint presentations 2-3 times per week. In general you want something with at least 1000 lumens. My current setup is a Dell 2100mp it is bright enough that you can give a presentation in a well lit room. I've had other flavors of projectors (toshiba, epson) with no real complaints but so far if I had to buy another one today I would buy another dell. CDW had an exact clone of this machine a few weeks back for about $800. If you have any specific questions PM me

Trent

Evergreen
12/14/2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all the info. I might start by renting (?) one if this is possible and see how it works out. I have so many ideas for presentations and it sounds like fun. I live in such a populated area there is a public library like every 10 miles. There are so many looney presentations like collage-frames, coffee-can crafts and things. EVERYONE likes fish.

joeychitwood
12/14/2003, 12:08 PM
One other consideration is the cost of bulb replacement. They must be replaced at certain intervals, like fluorescents in your tank, and it can get pretty expensive.