PDA

View Full Version : Modded Xbox?

INNOVATOR
12/12/2003, 03:10 PM
Since a couple Xbox threads have been brought up I was wondering...how many of you Xbox owners have modded your box? If you do, what kind of specs do you have on your mods? :)

thrlride
12/12/2003, 04:48 PM
What type of modding are you referring to? The kind that allows you to play pirated games?

INNOVATOR
12/12/2003, 04:52 PM
No, modding has gotten a black eye from people thinking everyone mods to pirate games, which in fact is not true. Just curious as to what type of mods people have created on their boxes :)

phuzzy3d
12/12/2003, 04:53 PM
My xbox has aquired a dust mod on it's own.

phuzzy3d

thrlride
12/12/2003, 04:58 PM
What type of mods are possible then? I have a chip for my PS2 to play imports (and pirates) but I never installed it.

INNOVATOR
12/12/2003, 05:07 PM
The bios you decide to flash the chip with is what gives one the modding capabilities. Majority of people outfit their systems with larger hard drives, better dvd drives, copy the games they already have to their hard drive so one can access any game with the push of a button, burn music...and this is just the basics. Sure there are those who pirate games, but they are frowned upon by the general community.

Xbox-Scene.com is the most recognized for xbox modding (legal) and also has sections for other consoles such as PS2's and Gamecube in their forums ;)

rhwimmers
12/12/2003, 06:14 PM
Ive got mine modded, executer 2.0 about to add a 2.2 to another one to sell to a friend ive got the most recent bios out there..would like to turn it into a linux box with the cromwell bios
finding nemos a good game, i forgot to put that on the other thread
Ross

nemnoch
12/28/2003, 03:11 AM
I have a Xecuter 2.2 Pro (4 256k banks/2 1MB banks), and a 120 Gig HDD.

Yes, most people think that a modchip only allows you to copy games, or will only be used to pirate games. I have not pirated any Xbox games, any game I like I buy. The modchip allows you to run homebrew applications, and copy games to the hdd to faster play/load times. It also allows you to patch the games xbe (Xbox executable's) to use trainers and other nice cheats.

For me, it has become a complete home entertainment machine. The Xbox Media Player homebrew app will play any and all kinds of media (avi, mpg, mp3, etc). I have a couple of thousand NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 roms on it and have copied all of the Xbox games I own to the HDD. So, instead of dragging boxes of movies and games to someone’s house.. I just take the Xbox.

I could write for days on the advantages of a mod chip and the homebrew apps I run and what all it can do. Check out Xbox-Scene (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/). Its the site I use religiously for all information regarding hacking/modding the "every"box.

(Off Topic)
There are only 2 things I dislike about the Xbox.
1. The original controller is incredibly huge and ungainly. I hated having to immediately buy S-Type controllers just to enjoy it properly.
2. The remote. There is no built in infra-red ports so it takes up a game controller slot. It's also butt ugly. The PS2 controller is very nice (and has game control buttons on it).. I wish MS woulda tried to emulate them in these regards.

Daragon
12/28/2003, 03:05 PM
I never realized you can you any of this. Is it possible to do it to the PS2?

str8kickn1
12/28/2003, 06:00 PM
so is anyone interested in a modded ps1, with about 80 games..if so pm me, im looking for some reef equipment..

INNOVATOR
12/29/2003, 01:56 PM
Yes it is all possible on a ps2; although, not nearly as much fun as on an xbox :P

I just purchased a 2.3 pro, have a 120 seagate ready with a sammy 616t already installed. Just need some files and I'll be set, once my chip comes in (can't wait) :D Probably end up doing some hardware mods as well, to make a nice light show when the box starts up :D

Personally, I love the original controller over the S-type.

burke031
12/29/2003, 08:52 PM
Are they hard to solder in ? Or do you use the solderless chips?

CrystalAZ
12/29/2003, 09:00 PM
My hubby did our PS2. I watched him and it is not something I'd recommend for someone who doesn't have experience soldering on boards. My husband is a genius at that type of stuff and it still took him a while.

You can get the chips online. Just search for them.

But understand that you are risking killing your console if you mess up.

On the other hand, the benefits are very nice. :)

Crystal

INNOVATOR
12/30/2003, 10:32 AM
Actually, you won't kill your console if you mess up lol...modding myth. You can purchase solderless chips; however, they tend to not be as stable as for as the connction points are concerned, D0. Soldering is the recommended and professional method. If you do not know how to solder you can practice on an old comp board till you get the hang of it. Most newbies who practice first end up installing the chip in less than 10mins :)

nemnoch
12/30/2003, 10:59 AM
If you do not solder it properly, and overheat some components, you might fry your board. You can always have it installed professionally or buy a premodded system.