PDA

View Full Version : Our CD has been released Nationwide!!

gilman
12/12/2003, 03:01 AM
http://www.oc-creative.com/7gal/InStoresNow.jpg

As some of you may know, my other hobby is playing with a band called El Centro based in Orange County, California. We have been lucky enough in the past to play all over the US, but we have never had a CD in stores anywhere but locally here in orange county/LA mom-n-pop record stores. Well our indy record label (Finger/Long Live Crime Records) has finally gotten national distribution through Koch (same distribution as epitaph etc) for our new CD "Prohibido". This is a big deal for us to have our music finally available nationwide!

We will be playing some dates this summer on the Vans Warped Tour, and our slots will depend heavily on CD sales over the next few months. I hope some of you will check us out and if you like the tunes PLEASE BUY THE CD at your local record store!!! We could really use all the support we can get nationally! If you do go to your local record store and they don't have our CD in stock, TELL THEM TO GET IT FOR YOU! Cuz they can, yay!

If you would like to check us out, you can listen to tunes at our website CentroCore.com (http://www.centrocore.com), our Finger Records El Centro Page (http://www.fingerrecords.com/elcentro.asp), or you can download the songs I have posted below.

El Centro - Tell Me Why (http://www.fingerrecords.com/mp3/El_Centro-Tell_Me_Why.mp3)

El Centro - No Denial (http://www.fingerrecords.com/mp3/El_Centro-No_Denial.mp3)

Thanks for listening, and for your support!

Gil

Nek
12/12/2003, 06:36 AM
Thats pretty cool. My bro. in law is talking with Tommy Motola and Casablanca right now. They want him to record 2 songs, and maybe start doing the spring break thing. Its all pretty exciting. The name of his group is Pipeline. I think his site is pipelinerocks.com.

chet-tonja
12/12/2003, 07:34 AM
Congratulations! Your music has kind of a Rancid sound to it. Are you the singer? I was out in Huntington Beach/Newport Beach area for a friends wedding a few months back and that area lived up to what I've heard about it music wise. I saw several live bands at different bars and many of them sounded better than a lot of crap on the radio these days. Good luck to you guys!

gilman
12/12/2003, 11:53 AM
chet hey thanks man! Yes, there are alot of great bands out here in OC. We have been milling around here with them and abroad touring for around 8 years now. I play bass and do backup vocals for the band.

nek thats great, go buy our CD! When your bro in law's comes out I wil reciprocate. :D

Looking forward to warped tour this summer,

Gil

Aquaman
12/12/2003, 01:53 PM
Listened to a couple songs, Not my style, Im more Jazz, New age, or classic rock guitar stuff but... You guys sound very good! I may head down to the store and pick up a copy..

FMarini
12/12/2003, 03:39 PM
congrats Gil...
thats a great deal. Not only gettin signed to a labelled, but also getting the CD out.
Those tunes sound great, the mix sounds really lively.

I can't see how you'd make music a hobby, w/ the amount of touring youre gonna have to do to support your CD sales. i expect you'll be doing music full time.
The Vans warped tour is a huge feather in your cap, are you guys playing the main stage?

lastly, i gotta ask...whats your gear? whadda playing
frank

Menards
12/12/2003, 04:29 PM
YOU have a GREAT! Sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really like the beat and rhythm!!!!!!! I am totally serious! I really like it!

I will definately pick it up! And I have not purchased a CD in about 5 years!

CrystalAZ
12/12/2003, 05:32 PM
Double post.

CrystalAZ
12/12/2003, 05:32 PM
Congratulations!! :)

This isn't my style either but you are a talented group. I wish your band the best of success!

Crystal

JonK
12/12/2003, 05:51 PM
Gilman: I really like your stuff, It sounds great!!! I'm definitly going to grab your CD. Congratulations!!

Jon

gilman
12/12/2003, 08:06 PM
First off, let me say once again. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT! Very cool. It is always awesome to have someone let you know they like music that you have been involved with writing.

Aquaman, I love classic rock, and like some Jazz as well. I am very open minded when it comes to music, and if it is well done, I usually like it no matter what style it is. Thanks for considering picking up a CD! Much appreciated, and I hope you like some of the other stuff. There are actually a couple reggae-esque tunes on the cd that some of the easier listening folks might like.

FMarini, thanks for the big pat on the back! I can tell you that we are really excited about the release especially since our first CD was never distributed. When we tour, I do music full time, but we don't tour full time so I still kind of consider it a hobby! Warped Tour is definitely a feather in our cap, and I seriously doubt we will be playing main stage. We have played different legs of a couple Warped Tours, and only made main stage for one show in Florida a few years back, and we opened the stage so noone was really there watching us. :)

As far as gear goes, I play Ibanez SR800's a Galien Krueger RB800 head and Mesa Boogie Cab with a 15"/12"/8"/8"/4". I can get really loud and make everyone in the room cringe if I want.

Menards THANKS!!! I am glad you like it! As I said before it's really great to know some people like what your doing when it comes to writing songs. I really hope you dig the rest of the CD! Let me know please.

Crystal, thanks very much for the kind words, and wishes for success. As far as I am concerned, the only reason that I really ever started playing in bands was so that I could get music heard and play out live. With the national release of this CD my initial goal has been achieved if not surpassed! It's been a long time getting to this point, and I can't wait to get out on the road and tour again.

JonK sweet! Please let me know if you like what you hear on the rest of the disc if you pick it up. Great avatar man. H O C K E Y O W N Z. Whenever I used to play NHL 2000, I would play as Flyers so I could be John LeClair, and Eric Dejardin who rule. I liked Eric Lindros as well, but he has had so many darn concussions now that it is scarry to watch him play.....wince

Can't say it enough, thanks for the kind words and support!

Gil

JonK
12/12/2003, 08:55 PM
Gilman: I know what you mean about Lindros, that was the worst I ever felt for a player when he went down in that game 7 against the Devils after he just came back from the other concussion.

I just purchased your CD off the website, I wasn't sure if I would find it locally. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of it. Great price and free shipping too. Keep up the good work and I hope you have great success.

Jon

dogfacepuffer
12/12/2003, 10:32 PM
I have a co-worker that I think will love your music, so I guess I'll be buying two. Congratulations on all of wout hard work starting to pay off!!!!

gilman
12/13/2003, 01:31 AM
Jonk wow cool man! That is a promotional copy if you purchased it at the Finger Website. All of the songs from prohibido without the fancy insert that is in the retail copy. Let me know if you like the rest of the tunes!

dogfacepuffer awesome! Thanks for helping spread the word and yet.....ONCE AGAIN!!! Thanks for the support!!!

A little El Centro band history
Our band has been together for around 8-9 years now, and signed on the same small indy label for about 6 years. We have played with alot of great bands over the years and had alot of fun, but as I said before we have never had any sort of concrete distribution for our music. Over the years I have gotten to hang out and jam with some of my idols which is about the coolest thing ever.

Everyone in our band surfs with the exception of our drummer who still likes going to the ocean regardless. We all have a huge repsect for the ocean and reefs, and we all are out in the water as much as possible. I myself go out in the water at least 2-3 times a week depending on the waves.

Well, a little over a year ago, our singer Steve "Crabby" Cabler and our manager Steve "Webby" Webster, who were best friends, were able to get over to Bali to surf and celebrate Websters birthday. It was Websters first trip to Bali, but Crabby had been there before. The day before they were to come back to the US, they were hanging out having a beer, celebrating Webby's birthday in a club called the Sari Bar. That night while they were there, there was a terrorist bombing in the that club. Our manager was killed almost instantly and our singer barely made it out of the club with his life.

It is amazing that Crabby is able to go on singing with the band. He is a remarkable person with a very strong will. His injuries from the bombing included ruptured cochlia in his ears, broken scapula from breaking down a corrugated steel wall to get out, and assorted 3rd degree burns on his body including all of both palms from where he tried to lift hot metal off of Webster to try to save him. It wasn't possible. He did however make it possible for others to make it out with their lives by breaking down that wall. Almost 100 people lost their lives that night (mostly Australians).

We miss our sixth member and manager Webby. He was a good man. great frieind, awesome surfer, and a husband with wife and kids. His loss will never be forgotten by his friends. Every show we play now we dedicate our song called "Friend" to him. We will never forget. Ever.

Crabby still lives with the memory of that day, and to this day suffers from vertigo on a regular basis due to long lasting damage to his ears. He was about 50 feet from what the US Government said was a 350lb bomb.

There is currently a movie being considered to tell his story. I have heard him tell his story in detail, and it is amazing that he is still alive. I have also seen firsthand non us photos of the bombing in bali, and it was gruesome to see piles of bodies and rubble. I have seen nothing like it before and hope to never see something like it again.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you all know that El Centro has been through some seriously hard times in the not so distant past, but we are overcoming our losses, and trying to keep trucking along and continue making music.

Once again it's great to have your support. Thanks again, it really means alot to me.

Gil

http://www.centrocore.com/images/webbyRIP.jpg

TimberTDI
12/13/2003, 11:53 AM
WOW!!

That sounds awesome.

I'll def. being picking up a copy.

Good Luck!!

MrSandman
12/13/2003, 03:03 PM
Wow, i usually listen to R&B type music but will every once in a while will pop in an alternative/rock CD. When i first read the band's name and CD label, i thought it was a latin CD and almost didn't click on it. :D I gotta say...from those 2 songs you posted, you have a good future ahead. I might actually buy an alternative CD! Where in so.cal. have you guys performed? One co-worker is in a band himself and he is all over So. Cal. in studios, and clubs, etc. I'll have to mention your band to him and spread the word.

ziggaboo
12/14/2003, 01:54 PM
Sounds f'ing awesome man. I like it alot, a little mellower Pennywise it sounds like. Congrats - you guys deserve it. Good luck an maybe I'll see you at the Warped Tour :D

JonK
01/01/2004, 08:19 PM
Gilman: I got your Cd yesteday. They apologized that it took so long to get to me and sent me a bunch of decals and stickers and other stuff too. You guys sound great!! I just got through it and there wasn't a song that I didn't like. I'm going to take it with me tomorrow while I'm out working. :thumbsup:

Jon

joeychitwood
01/02/2004, 08:39 AM
I just checked Amazon. Is the "Alto" album yours? They don't have the new one yet, but I'll keep watching for it.

gilman
01/02/2004, 11:59 AM
Happy New Year!

Jazzy, thanks! Lemme know what you think about the rest of the CD if you do end up getting it.

ziggaboo, thanks man. We are definitely a little mellower than Pennywise, but I would say we are also definitely influenced by them. Pennywise has given us alot of love over the years including their latest show of love which was playing a benefit to help pay our singers medical bills from the bombing in bali. They raised alot of money for him, and even gave our singer the merch sales for the entire evening. Pennywise = a great group of guys who rock hard. We have had the chance to open for them on a few occasions, all of which rocked.

JonK hah you must have ordered the CD from our label. They are on punk rock time so they are kinda slow about things sometimes. Glad they sent you some stickers with the order. Glad you like the tuneage man. Really glad. Thanks for the support, we need it!

joeychitwood, "ALTO" is our first release. The new one "PROHIBIDO" is available on Tower Tecords.com (http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2908448) if you would like to try getting it there. Not sure why it isnt available on Amazon. I will quiz the powers that be about it monday. I am actually surprised that our first release is available on Amazon since we never had distribution for it! Supposedly it will finally be released nationwide also sometime in Feb.

Once again, thanks for listening and thanks a GANG for the support. We are looking forward to a show filled New Year with any luck, all across the USA. I will keep everyone in the loop where we are playing. It would be nice to talk reefs on the road, since noone in the band has reefs.

Gil

DukeDog
01/02/2004, 08:06 PM
Gil
I think you guys sound great! I hope you sell millions of cd's.
Jeff

jun41
01/02/2004, 11:44 PM
No offense but I think that you sound a lot like all the other bands out there that I hear.

What makes you stand out from the crowd? And What are you doing to musically move yourselves forward?

downdeep
01/02/2004, 11:47 PM
I've been looking for some new tunes for a while. The two songs I downloaded here are F%$king awesome. Just ordered the CD from Tower. can't wait to here the rest.

jun41
01/02/2004, 11:55 PM
p.s. Above comments aside, I wish you luck.

gilman
01/03/2004, 12:03 AM
DukeDog hah, I somehow doubt we will sell millions of CDs. Guess playing in punk rawk type bands for 15+ years has me jaded into thinking I should just be doing it for fun still. I played in punk bands long before it was cool.

jun41 no offense taken at all man. There are only 12 notes, and we aren't trying to push the boundaries musical genious with our tunes. We are just trying to write positive songs that rock and get people bouncing and slamming. Thankfully this seems to be working at our live shows. We have lots of fun and hope people at our shows do too.

downdeep w00t! Thanks man, I hope you like the other tuneage as well. There are 13 tracks on the CD. Let me know if you think the other 11 suck! hahahaha.

ONCE AGAIN! OMG THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT !

Gil

jun41
01/03/2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by gilman

jun41 no offense taken at all man. There are only 12 notes, and we aren't trying to push the boundaries musical genious with our tunes. We are just trying to write positive songs that rock and get people bouncing and slamming. Thankfully this seems to be working at our live shows. We have lots of fun and hope people at our shows do too.

Gil

Um, I guess that works too...Rock on. It's going to be great to meet all the big guys on the warped tour. Best of luck to you and your band.

By the way, your nano site is great. The tank is awesome too.

downdeep
01/11/2004, 11:14 AM
Just got the CD yesterday. Some of the best stuff I've heard in a long time. If the band is ever heading to florida, let me know.

artfish
01/11/2004, 08:48 PM
You guys rock! Is your record label actually based here in Indy (that may be a dumb ?)? If so, I wonder if they will ever have you come over here and play at the vogue. You guys would do good here. If you ever end up here i will check ya out. Good luck with the future.