PDA

View Full Version : anyone camera shopping? get brand new Sony DSC-717 for $399!

kbreese
12/11/2003, 07:47 PM
been camera shopping and this is the best price I found which is only $494 and on top of that check with Sony b/c they have a $100 rebate on this camera right now = final price of $394! In the "about us" of Santa Sales it says they are authorized dealers for all the products they sell.

http://www.pricescan.com/scripts/redirect.asp?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esantasales%2Ecom%2Fdsc%2Df717%2Ehtml&ps_cid=100272&bid=08010100

Just thought I'd share...

mo
12/12/2003, 12:00 PM
I just got an early christmas present its a fuji finepix don't know the price it looks cool real small. Now to figure out how to use it and download the pics

dc
12/12/2003, 12:19 PM
That's a pretty good price. Same camera I have, and we paid much more for it!:D

oz
12/12/2003, 12:41 PM
Got anything smaller ? I need a camera that would fit in my shirt pocket.

joeychitwood
12/12/2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by oz
Got anything smaller ? I need a camera that would fit in my shirt pocket. I really like my Nikon 3100 pocket-sized camera. There is a newer 4+ megapixel 4300 model now. Great for travel, events, anywhere you want to unobrusively pull out a camera.

kbreese
12/16/2003, 10:31 AM
Just in case anyone see's this post, i posted the wrong price b/c the $494 was the price AFTER the rebate. Also, after further investigation it appears this is a real shady camera shop, whereby if you don't order their overpriced accesories and warranty they either refuse or never actually ship your order and make up excuses until you cancel the order. On top of that it's likely a gray market camera with no Sony USA warranty.

I just bought the Sony DSC-F717, but I bought it from camerasandelectronics.com They were the only semi-reputable place that had this camera for such a low price, which was $538 after rebate. The next reputable shop was at least $100 more than that. These guys also try and sell you on their accessories and warranties but don't pressure much and will still ship your camera. Also, the camera is not grey markey and comes with Sony USA 1 year warranty.

Steve_B
12/16/2003, 10:50 AM
We just got the Canon EOS Rebel digital SLR. It is 6.3 MP. We were waiting for a high res digital SLR to to drop to a somewhat reasonable price, so we made the move to digital. Now if I can only figure out how to use it.

kbreese
12/16/2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by SBSB
We just got the Canon EOS Rebel digital SLR. It is 6.3 MP. We were waiting for a high res digital SLR to to drop to a somewhat reasonable price, so we made the move to digital. Now if I can only figure out how to use it.

Very nice! Thats supposed to be an awesome camera. Big bucks when you add in the cost of getting the lens too! Well this is my first digital camera too. We both made pretty big jumps into the digital world! You obviously making a much bigger one, but I will have my hands full trying to figure this baby out too! The D717 is one of the best if not the best non-SLR camera you can get (although the new 828 just came out), and the EOS you got is also supposed to be one of the best lower end SLR's you can get. it's funny to say lower end, b/c its a top end camera but some of those SLR's cost up to $8 grand! Enjoy!

JazzMan
12/16/2003, 11:06 AM

How do you like the camera? I have the regular rebel (not digital) and I love it. Do you know if the new Digital Rebel will fit the lenses for the regular Rebel? I have 5 lenses for my rebel and would love to make the switch to digital but I dont want to have to replace all my lenses.

kbreese
12/16/2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by JazzMan
How do you like the camera? I have the regular rebel (not digital) and I love it. Do you know if the new Digital Rebel will fit the lenses for the regular Rebel? I have 5 lenses for my rebel and would love to make the switch to digital but I dont want to have to replace all my lenses.

I am no expert, but I am pretty sure they are interchangeable. Definitely set's a nice starting place for you to jump into getting a digital rebel

Steve_B
12/16/2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by kbreese
Very nice! Thats supposed to be an awesome camera. Big bucks when you add in the cost of getting the lens too! Well this is my first digital camera too. We both made pretty big jumps into the digital world! You obviously making a much bigger one, but I will have my hands full trying to figure this baby out too! The D717 is one of the best if not the best non-SLR camera you can get (although the new 828 just came out), and the EOS you got is also supposed to be one of the best lower end SLR's you can get. it's funny to say lower end, b/c its a top end camera but some of those SLR's cost up to $8 grand! Enjoy!

Yea it seems funny to call it a low end camera at $1k with the lens, but that is the fact of the matter. I decided to go with a good flash memory card(of course not included) and the 1G one I bought was $270! I don't think that your 35MM lenses will work on the digital camera but I could be wrong. Check this out, it will answer a lot of questions.
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=37

Steve_B
12/16/2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by JazzMan

I got kind of confused about who I was responding to in my previous post. I think that post is a combo reply!:lol:
I like the camera so far but I have not goten any further then taking shots in auto mode. And then there is the whole issue of learning how to use the software for printing pics. :confused:

kbreese
12/16/2003, 06:05 PM
Yea it seems funny to call it a low end camera at $1k with the lens, but that is the fact of the matter. I decided to go with a good flash memory card(of course not included) and the 1G one I bought was $270! I don't think that your 35MM lenses will work on the digital camera but I could be wrong. Check this out, it will answer a lot of questions.
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=37

the interchangeable les question came from Jazzman, and again, i am almost positive the digital Rebel accepts the same lenses as the 35mm version. I am pretty sure they are interchangeable. thats one of the great things about that camera.

Steve_B
12/16/2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by kbreese
the interchangeable les question came from Jazzman, and again, i am almost positive the digital Rebel accepts the same lenses as the 35mm version. I am pretty sure they are interchangeable. thats one of the great things about that camera.

The guy at Bestbuy told me they are not. I guess I should consider the source of my info:lol:

tdog44632
12/16/2003, 06:34 PM
Definitely lenses are interchangeable. I would hve got the Sigma sd9 as a digital SLR, but I do not think you went wrong. All lenses with same mounting style will fit same brand digital or regular SLR( Canon with Canon, Nikon with Nikon).

Tony
PS I love Buckaroo Banzai also.

Steve_B
12/16/2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by tdog44632

PS I love Buckaroo Banzai also.

Cool! I was wondering when somebody would notice that. It seems like that movie is on one channel or another almost everyday. There are so many little things going on I usually find something I didn't notice before everytime I see it. :)