PDA

View Full Version : Tank service startup

Gubinz
07/04/2001, 06:06 PM
I figured this would be the best place to ask. What is the best way to start up a service, setup and supplies business for this great hobby.
I curenty work for Big Als Oline and i have some idea on how to run it but no idea how to get the clients originally??
Anyhelp would be great.
Thanks
Sean

Hutchinson
07/04/2001, 10:31 PM
While it may be too late for this in the current year, a nice ad in the yellow pages will bring all the calls you can handle.

HTH

MRJAMEZ
07/05/2001, 12:31 AM
Set up a few nano reefs in some local business for free advertising. That what I plan to try.

Heinrich
07/05/2001, 12:48 AM
It's often a long slow process, best if you worked as the maintenance person in the best LFS in your area. That way you'll see all the problems attached to maintenance and setups. And there are a lot of things that can go wrong. A good start to get your feet wet is simply advertising and getting business cards. Go to every LFS and pass out some business cards. Especially to the people in the department themselves.
Insurance.
Showtank.
Advertising.
References.
Portfolio.
Supplies.
Storage.
Reliable helpers that you can call on.
Storefront or at least office.
Cash and more cash.
Keeping up contacts with anyone who's anyone in your neighborhood and in the fish world.
Becomming a member in your club.
Helping a maintenance company for a few months set up and maintain tanks.
Knowledge. Especially about safety and fish diseases.
Oh there's so much more. The thing is it pays so little and is so stressful. Without a storefront it's just all networking.
And you need to be totally flexible.
The selling equipment is the least difficult.
Also the least money.
Don't quit your dayjob and slowly get into it. This business takes years. People allways ask you how long you've been operating. So get that licence as soon as possible.
93! Heinrich