PDA

View Full Version : Help with DIY controller

nancysnuwave
12/11/2003, 12:58 PM
Hi Folks,

I must be nuts.. can't seem to let go of idea to have a controller in the house, not just for reef, but, for example, to turn the music off or on upstairs or down, check the house temperature, etc etc etc..

In otherwords, many more inputs that seem possible than the two or so w/ an aquacontroller (please correct that assumption if it's wrong!) :}.

Some other reefer suggested using a crouzet millenium II controller..

Being the jack of all trades and master of none that I seem to be, I don't fear the programming, but would rather not have to learn assembly or some other type of way stupid computer language (basic, fortran, etc etc etc would be okay.. even 'ladder logic' - which I don't know at all, but could learn.)

Also, I'm a little concerned about getting standardized probes and all (like for pH).

Anyone out there w/ some suggestions?

nancysnuwave
12/11/2003, 09:46 PM
Well, how about w/ any programmable controller.. or does anyone know how to get more than 2 inputs for an aquacontroller?

djfrankie
12/11/2003, 11:12 PM
Check this link out.

This will allow you to do anything imaginable and they have great support.

It is also very expandable and you can download and try the software for free. No need to learn all those programming languages.

Adicon (http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/ocelot.htm)

nancysnuwave
12/12/2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by djfrankie
Check this link out.

Adicon (http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/ocelot.htm)
Kewl...

any thoughts as to a beginner package - say tank temperature measurement/display and lighting control? by that I mean, a package of whatever to buy to get that going?

thanks, mr. dj!

nancysnuwave
12/12/2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by nancysnuwave
thoughts as to a beginner package -

I was checking out the Ocelot (Adicon), then started looking around .. several think the Ocelot a good one.. some prefer HAI's OMNIPRO II (I might be comparing apples and fruitsalad here).

Any more thoughts on a favorite home controller or PLC?

greeneyedblackcat
12/13/2003, 07:20 AM
Try www.X10.com

easttn
12/13/2003, 09:50 AM
I've been using a Siemens 226XM PLC for over a year now. They have 24 inputs, 16 outputs, 16K CPU, 2 COM ports, and either DC or AC output (I use AC). Each of the outputs can source 3A, so you only need isolation relays on you MH's, return pump (if large), and heaters over 250Watts. It uses software called STEP 7-Micro/WIN, very easy windows driven app. I can hook you up with the s/w if you get the h/w. Search around for:

226 CPU DC/DC/DC 6ES7 216 2AF21 0XB0

226 CPU AC/DC/Rly 6ES7 216 2BF21 0XB0

You can find used ones pretty cheap. The 214 is its predecessor, even cheaper. If you want to control temp you'll need their RTD module as well.

nancysnuwave
12/13/2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by easttn
I' Search around for:

226 CPU DC/DC/DC 6ES7 216 2AF21 0XB0

226 CPU AC/DC/Rly 6ES7 216 2BF21 0XB0

I'm interested in sources for these!