PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My cynarina is spewing guts!?!?

skylergirl
12/10/2003, 09:14 PM
Hello:

Can anybody tell me what is going on with this coral. I've had it for over 2 months now. Throughout the day, it looked fine. I've been gone about 3 hours and it now looks like this

http://home.comcast.net/~runningwhippet/reeftank/cynarinasick.jpg

It has NEVER had all those white filaments coming out of it before. Usually at night like this, it extends white bulb like polyps out, not this stringy bunch of stuff.

Is it dying? I've noticed that some of the ricordea I have in the vacinity and all closed up more than usual.

Do I need to pull this from my tank before it pollutes the water further??? :eek:

Please help with any advice.

Thanks!

reefmarker
12/10/2003, 09:16 PM
Although my cynarina has never done what you show in the picture...

My ricordia do this if something large is presented to them to eat. It seems to be a normal feeding mechanism for things that are too big to fit in their mouth.

EricHugo
12/11/2003, 09:10 AM
It has extruded its mesenterial filaments. This is usually a response to acute stress - often acute physcial stress (being dropped) or chemical stress.

skylergirl
12/11/2003, 11:24 AM
How bizarre. It has not been moved or touched in several weeks.

As of today, it looks perfectly fine and inflating as usual.

If indeed it is stressed, what signs do I need to look for to determine if it is chemical stress?

Thanks Eric!

EricHugo
12/12/2003, 08:19 AM
I don't know...are they still out or have they pulled back in?

skylergirl
12/12/2003, 10:22 PM
They are all pulled back in now.

However, I had a wessophyllia next to the cynarina. Now the wesso is not inflating as much and is showing some skeleton at night time. I've had the wesso longer than the cynarina.

I think it was a chemical something or other to have affected the wesso so drastically, almost overnight.

Machiavelli
12/13/2003, 12:34 AM
Had an anemone do that chronically for weeks before it finally died--most likely because it wouldnt eat. Not sure how it'll play out in the case of your coral. Good luck either way.