PDA

View Full Version : My tang is having panick attacks!!!

LgIslandreefers
07/04/2001, 10:38 AM
Hi all,

I found my wrasse dead and my purple tang gasping for air yesterday morning :eek:. The water pump had gotten clogged preventing the tank from getting oxygen :eek1:. I took Purple out and placed him in my 20 gal long. Surprisingly he recovered in a few minutes and even accepted food 10 minutes later :) . Meanwhile, we did a 42 gal water change in the 92 gal tank (a lot of swimming space), cleaned sump and plumbing before turning on the system again. The parameters were back to normal, back to what they had been for 6 months, when I tested a few hours later;

Oxygen: 7
Ph: 8
Temperature: 83
Ammonia & Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 45(Dr Ron said under 100 it doesn't affect fish or corals)
Phosphates: 1 (LR must leak phosphates, Phosphates have always been at 1 in my system)
Calcium: 385 (because there was no kalk dripping when I tested)

Until now our tang had been really healthy thanks to a balanced diet of gracilaria live seaweed, brown dry seaweed selects, and frozen formula 1 & 2.
We put him back in the 92 gal, he panicked, bumped into rocks but calmed down rapidly, went fine through the day, we turned off the lights around 1 am to find Purple going crazy a few minutes later, up and down, back and forth, very rapidly, bumping into rocks,we waited 15 minutes but he wouldn't calm down :(. We felt he was going to have an heart attack and we would find him dead in the morning. Back to the 20 gal he went and that's where he remained calm.

Did he see a ghost? Is his nervous system damaged from lack of oxygen the previous night or was he panicking remembering what had happened to him the night before when the lights went off? :confused: He seems now happy in the 20 gal long, calm and colorful, eating. I'm afraid of putting him back in the 92 gal. Help! Thanks. :(

Aurore.

gregt
07/04/2001, 11:12 AM
That's a big water change. It might have stressed them even further...

What other stock is in the tank?

LgIslandreefers
07/04/2001, 11:32 AM
The system, tank +sump is 112 gal, so that's a 37% water change, not that huge of a water change. Plus, Purple was back to normal during the day, fine until we turned the lights off. I've done this kind of water change on the tank before without any bad effect. I've done one yesterday because I had a low level of nitrites probably caused by some critter die off due to lack of oxygen. No other fish stock, corals are doing fine, gorgonians, plate, anemones, unidentified polyp colonies, urchins (well, one of the 3 urchins stays on top!!!, i wonder if it's related to the problem), snails & hermits are active, cucumbers, brittle stars, shrimps, macroalgae, etc...The green hairy nushroom is not doing too good though but I think he got attacked by a crab yesterday, not sure. Tested water again, parameters are normal.

LgIslandreefers
07/06/2001, 11:43 AM
Purple is now acting normal, back in the 92 gal and no more panick attack at night :) Yippie!!!! :p

JohnL
07/06/2001, 03:15 PM
Glad to hear it, Aurore :)

LgIslandreefers
07/07/2001, 11:21 AM
Guess what JohnL !

The pump stopped again last night!!! :mad: It's not clogged this time, it's just not working. We hooked up a temporary small air pump w/ bubble wall to the tank, it's probably not enough but better that nothing.
We need to get a new water pump pretty fast, any recommendation on a reliable one and where to get it ? Thanks!

JohnL
07/07/2001, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by LgIslandreefers
We need to get a new water pump pretty fast, any recommendation on a reliable one and where to get it ?

Are you looking for an external pump or a submersible one?

For an external pump, I like Iwaki. For a submersible pump, I like the Mag pumps. I get most of my stuff from Premium Aquatics (http://www.premiumaquatics.com).