coffee....A BUNCH!

it's tough finding decent decaf beans. the $8 a # is even
tougher. anyone know of a cheaper source for some
decent bean?

also, while i'm at it, any *really* good coffee travel mugs
that actually keep it hot for a while? are the metal insulated
ones better than the plastic ones? i'm guessing they are, but
havent' actually tried one to see

thanks! i KNOW there are coffee freaks on this board!!

raddogz
12/10/2003, 03:52 PM
Peets Coffee is pretty good (decaf) too.

Decaf coffee even at Trader Joes is pretty decent.

Travel Mugs - Metal is the way to go in my opinion.

BrianD
12/10/2003, 03:58 PM
Coffee.....yuck. That has to be an acquired taste, and I have never acquired it.

raddogz
12/10/2003, 05:48 PM
People says the same about beer and/or wine.

Course Mexican coffee is top notch.

tgreene
12/10/2003, 06:17 PM
Coffee is a gift from God himself! I have switched over to YUBAN, and find it to be about the best available in a can.

MarkS
12/10/2003, 06:20 PM
I want to try the several hundred dollar per pound coffee from Madagascar that is harvested from monkey excrement! Yum! :D

Jamesurq
12/10/2003, 11:04 PM
had some kona from high in the hills of maui when I was there that was unbelievable. My wife drinks that starbucks decaf stuff... blech.... Gevalia has a monthly club that sends you REALLY good coffee that I used to cherish.

As far as a cheapo every day coffee, 8 o'clock bean is pretty tolerable.

Got my wife a Keriug instant coffee maker for christmas, shhhh! That's pretty cool - has the little cup thingys that you put in there - I'll have to hard plumb it into my RO unit....

NOW WE"RE TALKIN...

dc
12/10/2003, 11:14 PM
I love Gevalia. I got this limited Royal Vinter, even Dan commented how good it was!:D

FunkieReefJunkie
12/10/2003, 11:18 PM
Peets is the reason I wake up... it also the reason I take prilosec : )

64Ivy
12/11/2003, 12:11 AM
You have not lived until you've savored a cup of freshly ground AUTHENTIC Jamaican Blue Mountain. And as far as travel mugs go, the metal one by Thremos with the black rubber ring keeps coffee hot for quite awhile, imo

billsreef
12/11/2003, 12:12 AM
Don't know about decaf, need the leaded stuff myself :D I'm also partial to the metal insulated travel mugs. Primarily I just like the feel of metal over the plastic. My favorite bean is from Maui, I like it better than the Kona and it's cheaper :D

gkmartinez
12/11/2003, 12:23 AM
Try Sams club for the coffee. usually 2lbs is $17.00. Also Starbucks will have your best travel mugs. I have been eyeing one myself. $30.00 though can buy some nice things at the LFS!:D

LLUSA
12/11/2003, 01:22 AM
At our hatchery, we make a pot at 8 a.m. Usually 10 cups. Buy 9 a.m., we have drank the majority, and the glare Jason and I give each other over the last cup is usually bordering on a physical altercation.

Now, I have gotten pretty attached to my fufu creamers. Right now, I like the amaretto.

Ed

toto_789
12/11/2003, 02:40 AM
I visited Jamaica a few years ago. I brought back 50 lbs of Jamaican Blue Mountain. My family thought I lost it and should seek help.

apophis924
12/11/2003, 03:27 AM
I love the Java, since quiting smoking Coffee has become my legal drug of choice. as Far as Decaf goes...well drinking decaf coffee makes as much sense as going into a bar and not oredring a drink. Decaf coffee is like trying to have a fresh water reef tank. Yes coffee does taste great but why deny the free caffiene buzz?

ecugman
12/11/2003, 10:18 AM
While we're rambling....

I'm in the market for a new coffee maker and would like one with the thermal carafe (sp?). I've been eyeing the Starbuck's model which is now on sale for $119 (regular $149).

Anyone have this this model or a recommendation for a themal carafe style maker?

On the mugs, I've found the metal double walled to work best.

MWehr76364
12/11/2003, 11:08 AM
While im not a coffee drinker. Love the smell of it but have never aquired a taste for it. There are some really good mugs out there. I get a truck accessories magazine with a travel mug in there that has a actual heating unit built into it that yyou plug into your cigarette lighter and keeps the coffee at 3 seperate temperatures that you control.

drifter
12/11/2003, 11:15 AM
I'm withe dc Gevalia is the best coffee I have ever personally tried

Mark
12/11/2003, 11:17 AM
I've had jamaican blue mountain, and it was pretty good. Haiti used to have great coffee till politics got involved. My choice for now is Douwe Egberts. They're a dutch importer of coffee, and it's cheap and good. Us europeans demand good coffee for cheap! None of this $5 for a starbucks burned bean flavor crap.

ClemSnide
12/11/2003, 12:33 PM
My favorite brand of coffee is Intelligentsia, a local Chicago roaster. They're Buzz Blend (house coffee for a particular shop), and the Turkish Roast are my favorite.

I've been wanting to have a cup of real Jamaican Blue Mountain, but haven't, yet. And for 50 a pound, not worth it, yet.

I think I've had a total of 2 cups of decaf ever, so I can't say anything about that.

And travel mugs, I drink it too fast to let it get cold.

toto_789
12/11/2003, 12:57 PM
I didn't realize how expensive the Jamaican Blue Mountain is in US until I got back from my trip. It was $12 per pound there at that time.

Niven
12/11/2003, 01:12 PM
I had a teacher in high school that drank coffee and smoked. I could not stand being within 5 feet of the guy. I think that pushed me away from drinking coffee. Plus the fact that any caffine in the morning makes me shake like a geriatric.

It's wierd how it's common place for someone to be addicted to coffee.

ClemSnide
12/11/2003, 01:18 PM
Hardcore caffeine junkie since I was 12, around 18 I was up to about 2 pots a day. I'm now about 3/4th a pot.

musicsmaker
12/11/2003, 01:44 PM
It's wierd how it's common place for someone to be addicted to coffee. Aint it though?

Mark
12/11/2003, 01:45 PM
I only drink coffee twice a week. I found that when I drank it every day, I got so hooked, that I was more tired all the time. That's the catch, you drink coffee to wake you up, but when you come down from it, you're more tired. So you drink more. I have it in the morning on the weekends. It's a ritual for me to make it with a nice breakfast, so that I can take my time to start the day. I don't have that priviledge on weekdays, because I'm running out the door at the last minute.

Jamesurq
12/11/2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Mark
I found that when I drank it every day, I got so hooked, that I was more tired all the time. That's the catch, you drink coffee to wake you up, but when you come down from it, you're more tired.

the key is to not stop drinking it.

Mark
12/11/2003, 02:00 PM
You'll find that you'll need more and more to get the job done though. I prefer not to let a plant alkaloid rule my life.

oz
12/11/2003, 02:09 PM
Don't drink decaf neither. I can drink coffee just before I go to bed, no problem. I'm cutting down though. Used to drink up to 8 cups a day. Now I average about 5-6 cups.

Jamaican's Blue Mountain is good but Brazilian coffee is best, IMO.

Brazilian coffee has strong rich taste but the coffee smell/aroma is not as good as Jamaican's Blue Mountain. Sometime I mix the two together.

I like to grind my own and brew/drink right away.

BTW, I hear coffee price is at an all time low but it sure ain't reflecting at Starbucks.

ecugman
12/11/2003, 02:15 PM
Where (online and locally) does everyone purchase their coffee?

oz
12/11/2003, 04:07 PM
I always pickup bags of coffee when I traveled in Latin America.
Whenever I run out, I buy my coffe at BJ's. They have Jamaican's
Blue Mountain. Have not ever bought coffee ONLINE but I found
one place here http://www.freshcoffee.net/mainnew.htm

Would be nice if there was a place you can buy direct from the growers (roasted, ofcourse) without the middle men.

pnosko
12/11/2003, 11:04 PM
I buy the best stuff there is. I could tell you what/where, but then I'd have to kill ya. Can't let my supply get too much in demand, ifyouknowhatimean! :D

Psst, Debi. Shut up!

dc
12/12/2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by pnosko
I buy the best stuff there is. I could tell you what/where, but then I'd have to kill ya. Can't let my supply get too much in demand, ifyouknowhatimean! :D

Psst, Debi. Shut up!

Get real Pete!! You know that's impossible.:D I drink about a pot every morning. I'm not addicted tho, cause I can go weeks without it, tho I prefer not to. I don't even get a headache like people talk about.

oz
12/12/2003, 08:15 AM
I once saw an advertisement for coffee saying it helps maintain stamina ;)

here's a link saying coffee is good for you
Coffee is good for you (http://xtramsn.co.nz/health/0,,8119-2855679,00.html)

Another (http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2002/02/coffee.html) one here

musicsmaker
12/12/2003, 09:14 AM
That's funny. I have seen "medical" articles that claim chocolate is good for you, and that peanut butter will help you lose weight. :eek:

oz
12/12/2003, 09:58 AM
Well people have been drinking coffee for more than 3000 years. And roughly a thousand years ago, Avicenna, famous Arabian physician and philosopher whom was considered the principal authority in medical schools both in Europe and in Asia at the time was administering coffee as a medecine!

VCoo71
12/12/2003, 11:13 AM
IMO starbucks is the worst coffee out there(mmmm burnt beans =a cup of carbon)
try Campesino.com
organic fair trade coffee and @ 7-9 $ per pound(depending on how much you order)
it cant be beat
JMO
charlie

billsreef
12/12/2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Mark
None of this $5 for a starbucks burned bean flavor crap.

You've got that right. I like a good dark roasted bean, but that burnt crap is just lousy. Can't understand why it sells so well :confused:

My favorite source for coffe is The Coffee Store (http://www.mauicoffee.com/) on Maui. Found it on a trip to Maui about 10 years ago. We've made an annual order ever since :D

musicsmaker
12/12/2003, 11:52 AM
Is the Blue Mountain worth it? How can it be THAT good?

oz
12/12/2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by musicsmaker
Is the Blue Mountain worth it? How can it be THAT good?

IMO, it has a good balanced aroma, body, acidity and flavor.
Personally, I like the stronger flavor of the Brazilian coffee but
the smell the aroma of coffee, you can't beat Blue Mountain's.
I think part of it is the overall conditions of the blue mountain in Jamaica is just very suited for the cultivation of coffee, mist-shrouded etc.

Hey does anybody roast their own coffee ?

Also I hear that only the Brazilian use the Dry Process after picking to remove the pulp of the ripe coffee while everywhere else they use the wet process to wash the beans

jimroth
12/12/2003, 01:37 PM
I roast my own coffee in a gizmo called an Alpenrost. It's very good, big improvement over storebought. I buy beans from Sweet Maria's (http://www.sweetmarias.com/) . They also have those high-quality (Nissan) travel mugs the poster was asking about.

rallendorph
12/12/2003, 02:13 PM
I'll throw my 2 cents in, depending on my mood, I prefer Jamaican Blue Mountain, or Kona. JBM is a bit stonger with more bite. Kona is smooth.... (Most of the time I prefer Kona.) That said, I have not had either of these for a while now. I can't get my wife to understand the importance of purchasing a 'proper' coffee. :D But, since she goes out of the way to purchase, grind, and brew a pot for me most mornings - I don't complain too much. :)

I find most of the african varieties a little bitter for my tastes.

musicsmaker - IMO, Yes BJM and Kona are worth the cost. Sort of personal preference though like is a Filet Mignon better than a Rib Eye ?

Rob A. :beer:

musicsmaker
12/12/2003, 02:18 PM
Here I thought everybody would be throwing out names like "Pumpkin Spice". I like that stuff for once in a while, but for every day I settle for Maxwell House. :D This JBM might just be worth a try. A Christmas present for myself.

pnosko
12/12/2003, 02:28 PM
Pumpkin Spice is the only thing that can make Maxwell House swallowable. :D

Likewise, I buy an occasional Starbucks flavored Latte out of convenience because some flavors like Raspberry & Eggnog make their swill swallowable too.

musicsmaker
12/12/2003, 03:04 PM
Another question for the experts: Do you drink these coffees as hot as "normal" coffee? Can I make them in my plain jane coffee maker?

jimroth
12/12/2003, 03:20 PM
You're talking about "drip" coffee. Sure, if it's a decent machine you can make excellent coffee in it. You do need a good grinder though. Most coffee nuts drink drip coffee at least some of the time.

I myself have been enjoying Nicaragua Matagalpa -Pacamara 19+ screen -- a kind of mutant "giant bean" coffee. I like Kona, I just don't like the price. Never had JBM.

The African coffees are all different. If you don't like Kenya, try to hunt down some from Uganda, it's different and I, for one, like it better.

zenguitar
12/12/2003, 03:24 PM
I have friend who lives a town away from me who runs his own coffee business and he roasts the coffee at his house and can deliver it the same day. I built him a new computer for his business and he's paying me back in coffee. It's the best coffee I have ever had and now it seems as if it's free. www.highpointcoffee.com

glaudds
12/12/2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ecugman
While we're rambling....

I'm in the market for a new coffee maker and would like one with the thermal carafe (sp?). I've been eyeing the Starbuck's model which is now on sale for $119 (regular $149).

Anyone have this this model or a recommendation for a themal carafe style maker?

On the mugs, I've found the metal double walled to work best.

I've got the Cuisinart Grind and brew with the thermal carafe. Makes a pretty decent pot and stays hot for a good 6-8 hours without burning the coffee.
You got to start with good water also, another reason for RO!!

oz
12/12/2003, 03:40 PM
I recently bought a coffee maker with grinder and thermal carafe all in one unit from Kohl's. I think its from Kitchenmaid.

Anyway, it didn't keep the coffee warm. I usually brew 4 cups in the morning. Do you have to use hot water to begin with ?
For those who have coffee maker with thermal carafe, do you have this problem ?

In any case we returned the item after 3 days of trying it out.

glaudds
12/12/2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by oz
I recently bought a coffee maker with grinder and thermal carafe all in one unit from Kohl's. I think its from Kitchenmaid.

Anyway, it didn't keep the coffee warm. I usually brew 4 cups in the morning. Do you have to use hot water to begin with ?
For those who have coffee maker with thermal carafe, do you have this problem ?

In any case we returned the item after 3 days of trying it out.

No problem with the cuisinart carafe. I brew with cold water. The carafe keeps the coffee HOT for at least 6 hours. If I want to keep it hot longer, I sometimes preheat the carafe with hot water before brewin into it. I usually brew a full pot, so that it stays hot longer, smaller brews cool off faster.

Jamesurq
12/12/2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by glaudds
I've got the Cuisinart Grind and brew with the thermal carafe. Makes a pretty decent pot and stays hot for a good 6-8 hours without burning the coffee.
You got to start with good water also, another reason for RO!!

I just broke our second cuisinart grind and brew - the damn latch on the top keeps giving out. At $100 - that shouldn't happen. Plus- the damn thing gets gunked up if it's a TINY bit moist. You have to completely disassemble and wash and dry it every time.

The new Keurig K-cup system is gonna be sweet. We had them in the office in NY and the coffee is really fresh and NO MESS or cleanup.

Hard plumbed into the RO unit - all you do is put in the k=cup and push start. 30 seconds to fresh cup.

Unit costs $250 - K-cups are about 50 cents each. Only problem is you are limited on your coffee choice - green mountain roasters... They do have some pretty good coffee though.

glaudds
12/12/2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Jamesurq
I Plus- the damn thing gets gunked up if it's a TINY bit moist. You have to completely disassemble and wash and dry it every time.

Got to agree with you there....I just throw the grinder part into the dishwasher every night.

pnosko
12/12/2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by oz

For those who have coffee maker with thermal carafe, do you have this problem ?Are you putting the carafe back into the brewing slot? If so, that opens the spring-loaded top (so coffee can enter) and the heat will escape. It's better to leave a thermal carafe standing on a counter.