PDA

View Full Version : fighting conch

giveortake
12/10/2003, 12:48 AM
Anyone know if these guys can move backward? I have a triangular shaped tank and one of my conchs seems to get himself wedged in the corner. Not sure if he is permenantly stuck and needs assistance or if he just like it there. He has been there for about a week. I moved him about 4 inches away and "freed" him, but he ended up right back in the same spot 20 minutes later. Guess I should have pointed him the other way!

Thanks,

David

melev
12/10/2003, 01:31 AM
Yes, it can go back when it wants to. Fighting Conchs can park for up to two weeks, but will eventually come out and do their work again.

GinaSofia
12/10/2003, 01:49 AM
yep, mine stays "stuck"when it wants, and boogies around at other times..sometimes it diasappears,completely freaking me out.Great little clean-up buddies.

drock59
12/10/2003, 02:05 AM
I always hear about the fighting conch but are they as good as everyone says? Do they clean like everyone says?

jdieck
12/10/2003, 02:11 AM
The Corner is were most detritus and food may accumulate so no wonder she might like it there.

Reefmedic79
12/10/2003, 02:21 AM
Is it true that Cyano is eaten by fighting conchs?

storrsms
12/10/2003, 03:56 AM
fighting conchs are great to watch, as they can
catapult(sp ?) and do all kinds of crazy maneuvers. I bought mine about 4-6 mos ago at about 3/4" long, and they are now about 1 1/2". the 'best' part is they only get about 3-4" when full grown.
I'm hoping maybe someday they'll breed and I'll have some to give away/sell back, etc

Mark

CrystalAZ
12/10/2003, 05:37 AM
I haven't seen my fighting conch eat cyano, but he does a GREAT job cleaning the sand. I think I am going to get one more, because he can't quite keep up.

As far as cyano, my mexican turbos love it. They eat it all every night and it comes back every day. :) But there is less and less of it.

Crystal

melev
12/10/2003, 07:51 AM
My conch likes to park in the same spot, under a mushroom. Kinda reminds me of the Bat Cave. ;)

Remember, only one per two square feet of sand (surface area), so you don't starve it. I have a cucumber and a conch in my 55g, and they do a good job together.