PDA

View Full Version : How much LR in my 180G

mason_4000
12/09/2003, 10:22 PM
Just about ready to get my 180 up and running. Was wondering how much LR I should be putting in. Would 20kg be enough to start cycling with or should i be using more.

I had one person suggest to me that i should use a milk create and then just build my LR around that. But it seems like a waste of space when i could be filling that with LR.
Don't really mind how much it will cost, just that i need to order it. So if you have set up this sort of size before, or if there is a rule, let me know. Cheers!!

Nanook
12/09/2003, 10:32 PM
Usually, a pound to 1 1/2lbs per gallon is the norm. Be sure to leave gaps and caves in the structure for fish to move through. If you add it all at once, you can keep it to having only one cycle.

Nanook

astrogazer
12/10/2003, 12:29 AM
ditto ... 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. per gallon. This can get real expensive as quality rock can be in the $5 + per lb. You can purchase 'dead' rock or lower quality of LR to use a base material and then purchase 30-50 lbs of quality LR to seed this base rock. I would put in all of your rock for the cycle or at least a vast majority, you will lose some life, but this will help with the cycle.