PDA

View Full Version : Took a trip to the animal shelter

BrianD
12/09/2003, 02:44 PM
A coworker was looking for a dog for his family, and since he knew I was a "dog person", he wanted my opinion.

You can't imagine how hard it was for me to leave that place without taking 20 dogs home with me. They had 2 litters of puppies, one was a shepard/huskie mix and the others appeared to be shepard/lab mix. Both litters under 3 months old. Cute!

Most puppies find a home, but it is sad to think that many are probably adopted as a Christmas present on impulse, and people don't consider what a lifetime commitment a dog is.

Even sadder were all the dogs that were there that were past the "cute puppy" stage. They were all bouncing around begging for attention, and I know they were all good dogs. I also imagined the fate that waited for them if they were not adopted.

Sigh.

raddogz
12/09/2003, 04:11 PM
Yeah, it sucks doesn't it. When I bought my dog almost six years ago, I brought her into the office (the allure of a ten week old puppy) not to mention I had been talking about this for well over a year. A co-worker went down to the humane society a adopted a mix breed puppy on the pretense for her daughter upcoming birthday.

My dog is the princess and the pea (can we say spoiled). Her dog which got way too much out of control lives her life outside destined never to come into the house.

grostanzo
12/09/2003, 05:15 PM
BrianD,
Your post reminded me of a piece written by Jim Willis that I found about animal shelters.

This is very sad. It's fiction but, what I am sure happens all the time.

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad", you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How Could You?"-but, then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housetraining took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs,"you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your comecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person"- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies come along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love".

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kissed on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch-because your touch was now so infrequent- and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog"to "just a dog" and you resented every expenditure on by behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your family but, there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear of hopplessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers". You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog"! And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked. "How Could YOU"?

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you- that you had changed your mind- that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew you every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my forleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so may years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How Could YOU"?

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry". She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself- a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How Could You"? was not meant for her. It was you, MY BELOVED MASTER, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

I cried so hard when I first read this. What really upsets me is, that humans mostly are the ones responsible. I don't know why there are so many people who when take on a pet don't realize it's a life time commitment. The novality of the cute puppy wears off. I wish more people would consider looking there first for a dog or cat.

dogfacepuffer
12/10/2003, 02:13 PM
Well Grostanzo, thanks for the tears. My beloved dog was found at the shelter. It is a no-kill shelter and we went there with the intent of getting an older dog that noone else would want. We, of course, had to walk by the puppies to get to the older dogs, and although they were cute, we still wanted an older one. The first time I saw RED, I knew I had to have him. So, we went home, built a fence in the rain, and went back to the shelter and brought RED and another dog home! Unfortunately, the other dog was stolen from us, but at least he has a good home. We then went a saved another dog that had been in the shelter for over a year. He was so skittish!!! It was sad, but he was getting better. Then he got out of the yard, and must have drank some anti-freeze. The vet thought he had a little virus and didn't react quick enough and he died.
We only have RED now, but I can never imagine giving him back. We have turned down moving to houses we really love because our dog is too big!

grostanzo
12/10/2003, 05:29 PM
There should be more people out there who would be willing to give an older dog a good home. I know it's hard to pass up puppies. They are cute. The good thing about adopting older dogs, no potty training! Glad to hear your one of those who adopted old. I know, that story is so sad. I cried so hard when I first read it.

Megalodon
12/10/2003, 07:25 PM
I got two of my cats as adults. Someone has to take them. Now I love them and I'm so glad I got them. And they're all fixed.

Agu
12/10/2003, 07:59 PM
Groatanzo,

You're post made me walk away to think.

Thanks,

Agu

skippy2
12/10/2003, 08:01 PM
That was just so sad. I remember taking my son to the shelter to get a dog. He was crying so hard and I asked him what the matter was. He said he couldn't pick just one. They all needed a home.
A few yrs. ago my sister wanted to get me a cat because I had lost mine after 14yrs. to breast cancer. I picked out an older cat mainly because she was older and certainly not the prettiest kitty there. She picked my lap to sit in. My sister couldn't get over I didn't want a kitty. Turns out my cat knew what she was doing. She just wanted out of there. Even though I am really glad I brought her home she is in no way a lap cat. I now have 2 adult cats and a kitty that I bought from a neighbor girl for a dollar.

grostanzo
12/10/2003, 08:33 PM
My boyfriends father got two dogs awhile back from the shelter. They are great dogs and very friendly.

Agu,
What have I made you think about? I hope no one gets mad that I posted that story. I think the story was written to just try and let people know there are alot of great animals waiting for a home and that when you do take in a pet it is a lifetime responsibility and not to take on that responsibliity unless you carry it through to the end. I also am a firm believer in spaying and altering pets. Unless, you are showing your animal and or breeding it . There are way too many unwanted puppies and kittens.

TheBimbo
12/10/2003, 10:48 PM
That story is just awful, I now have tears, lump in my throat and my nose is all stuffed up. :( Hopefully nobody will go out and get a pet for a gift unless they know that the pet will be loved and cared for and most of all wanted... My mother had a dog for 12 years named "Boomer". He was her best friend and needed to be put down. After he died she moved into an apartment, she is handicapped and gets around pretty well inside but needs a chair for outings, and wants another dog so badly but the landlord will not allow her to have one. She wants a chi-chi dog for christmas, but I really don't see this happening as she lives in a second floor apartment. But I will ask anyway, you never know what they'll say... :(

Agu
12/10/2003, 10:52 PM
Grostanzo,

No negative meanings meant or implied. The callous nature of too many pet owners is really sad to me. I'm old enough to have pets I've outlived and can't imagine disposing of a loyal friend because they're inconvenient. Reminds me of a past handle on RC, "Striving to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Agu

billsreef
12/11/2003, 12:28 AM
The same problems face many other pets as well. One problem I always face this time of the year working in the pet industry is people doing the impulse pet for a gift thing. I try very hard to steer people away from that. Sometimes I suceed in getting them to go with a book on the animal of interest as a gift instead, but not often enough.

charley75
12/11/2003, 02:00 AM
I work at a shelter and I would say that 90% of the people that come in the doors have no business owning a pet.....maybe a pet rock! And yes, this time of year is awful because I know that about half of the "cute little puppies" will be brought back in a few months.
It's amazing I haven't been fired yet because I have a real problem holding back my thoughts when morons come in to dump their animals. I have yet to hear a legitimate excuse for dumping an animal....because there simply isn't one! Some idiot got all offended the other day and said that I was being "a bit hard on him" for dumping his 2 cats and I let him have it. I more or less told him that I wasn't there to comfort him for being an irresponsible jerk.
I wish I could make people care for their animals the way I care for mine, but unfortunately I don't have that kind of power. That probably contributes to why my dogs are so spoiled. They ARE our kids.
Charley

apophis924
12/11/2003, 03:30 AM
You get the best pets form the animal shelters. I prefer a dog a year or more older, they adpat better, are most of the time pre trained. and you dont have to go thru the drama of the puppy chewing everything stage. Not to mention snatching a dog off of "death row" is quite rewarding and you will not get a more loyal animal then a death row dog.

GinaSofia
12/11/2003, 04:05 AM
I avoided this post all day..I knew it would bring me to tears.It's bittersweet,I'm glad my dog and two cats are so spoiled, yet, I feel so sad for the lonely ones out there.

musicsmaker
12/11/2003, 09:53 AM
Groatanzo, that post may have saved a dog today. I'm going to print it out.