PDA

View Full Version : This new, "Manhunt" game for consoles..

lebowski
12/09/2003, 12:57 PM
How many of you all have purchased or heard of this game.. I saw it on the news and have played it as well... I can easily say it is an "okay" game, and fun to play but what about for children? I'm 15 and I'm not supposed to be playing it, but I'm mature enough to control my thoughts and understand what is going on with these games, advertisements and such..

I play numerous of war games, and I think they are less as influencing than that of some games I have played..They are still pretty bad, and I don't think anyone who isn't capable of controlling themselves should play it ( Children and even alot of older teenagers).

Parents are buying this game for children and what will they grow up to be? They don't know that it's fake or the wrong thing to do, if they grow up playing this, they will consume this violence as if it were a normal thing to do... That's not to say that this is the only thing affecting them.. These days, violence is everywhere. Movies, TV, everything is violent.. Toys.. Etc...

I think this game has gone a bit too far though.. It is based on you going around tracking down your victim and brutally murdering them... A bit TOO far...

That's my opinion on this subject, what do you all think?

http://ebgames.com/ebx/product/236669.asp
http://www.rockstargames.com/manhunt/

despot101
12/09/2003, 01:57 PM
I don't think its up to the game companies to limit what they put in a game. They are just trying to make a game that sells. If they get soo violent that they dont sell than the game companies will tone it down.
It's the parents responsibility to monitor what games their children are playing. And to make sure they understand the difference between a game and the real world.

lebowski
12/09/2003, 05:00 PM
Yeah , that's what I'm saying.. I don't blame the companies for trying to sell a game, but I suppose stores need better security on these games, and parents need to think...

skeletor121
12/09/2003, 05:13 PM
I agree that it is all up to the parents. I play games all the time, but will not play certain games when the kids are in the room. It is the same way when my wife and I (just got married on Saturday!) are watching movies.

lebowski
12/09/2003, 07:09 PM
Congrats on the Marriage!:D

fishgeek27
12/09/2003, 10:59 PM
I think too many people (lawyers)believe we can be influenced my violent video games, movies, music, cartoons, etc. I've been exposed to violent media since an early age. I'm 28 now, haven't killed anyone, and I loved vice city. I finally beat it on sunday. It was almost as stressful as an Ick outbreak. Just teach your kids to take personal responsibility for themselves and maybe we can straighten this mess out.

peace.

MadTownMax
12/09/2003, 11:07 PM
well, I'm not really super old, but when I was growing up, the standards were Bugs Bunny cartoons, Tom and Jerry, and even Roadrunner, they were nothing but violence, not really blood and gore, but they were loaded with guns/cannons/bombs, anvils on the head and such, and cartoons before that wern't all that nice either..... sure the newer stuff is more visceral, but it's still all about the promotion of violence. Just think, all those cartoons were what people who are in their 30's and 40's were watching when they were 6!!! impressionable, yes.... did i try blowing off my head w/ a cannon, um, no....

and yes, vice city was really cool, not quite as hard as the first GTA III, but still neat. I think the real genious of that game is the open structure (not the violence), where u can come up w/ different ways to accomplish your missions, not just "jumping through the hoop" sort of thing that most video games offer, I would never play it w/ my 4,6, and 8-year old nephews however, due to the content, yes, but they probably wouldn't (i hope:eek1:) understand the subtle things that make the game so enjoyable :D

sherm71tank
12/09/2003, 11:31 PM
So I have to tell you that I am very concerned about the message that todays video games, movies and music are sending our children. Or, maybe its the message that todays children are sending to the video game, movie and music industries I should be concerened with. Hmmm....

koj11
12/10/2003, 03:12 AM
All those that believe music, games, movies, etc cause violence and whatnot, please shoot me a pm cause I've got a heck of a deal on a bridge for you.

fishgeek27
12/10/2003, 10:27 AM
I hate to sound like I'm beating a dead horse, but I really think a lot of this comes down to parental envolvement. I was raised in a home with guns I owned a few of them myself. I also was taught the responsibilty of firearms, and that killing was not something you did for entertainment or attention. Sometimes I think it would be funny to have a rocket launcher like in GTA, but then I realize I don't want the backlash from killing a lot of innocent people.

Remember, guns don't kill, crazy kids and Republicans do!

lebowski
12/10/2003, 05:33 PM
hahaha..

True, it's alot to do with parents.. But then again these games can effect alot of older people as well...

It's all neurological.