PDA

View Full Version : Substract for tanks

ScarFish
12/07/2003, 10:35 AM
Hi guys!

Think I posted this in the wrong forum before, but I have a question on what kind of substract to put in a tank. I am starting a f/o 90g and was wondering if live sand was necessary? or can I use fine crush coral or something like that. If possible, could you recommend a product that I don't have to change once I add it to the tank. Thanks!

:)

Chris Mu.
12/07/2003, 10:41 AM
substrate ... live sand is a good choice ..it'll kick start the cycle.. if you go with crushed coral you are going to want to rinse it because of all the particulate matter ( dust from CC) if you dont rinse it your tank will be looking like a glass of milk for a few days to as much as a week .... if you dont mind cleaning crushed coral for a few hours .. go with CC ..i personally like jsut pouring already cylced sand into my tank without the need for cleaning the sand first ...

ratziel
12/07/2003, 10:44 AM
I would recommend a medium size grain aragonite about 2" deep in a FO tank.Some live rock will help cycle the tank and the bacteria from it will establish in the sand.This is just my opinion
I'm sure you would find many others on here. Good luck!:cool:

garygary
12/07/2003, 10:55 AM
How about the eco system( Plant vegetation in the tank/sump)? Anyone can tell if it is suitable for FO tank?

ScarFish
12/07/2003, 11:06 AM
If I went with live sand, would I have to change it? or would that take out all the living creatures in the sand?

Chris Mu.
12/07/2003, 11:07 AM
put the sand in a leave it .. i would get aragalive .. is aragonite with the bacteria already in it .. i think its by caribsea

ScarFish
12/07/2003, 07:34 PM
Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are OUTSTANDING!!!!

:)