PDA

View Full Version : Who should go to the Sugar Bowl? Opinions?

Denzo
12/07/2003, 12:01 AM
I think LSU and USC are the best candidates. It is a shame that OU lost this late in the season and got man-handled by K-State.

Puffer Daddy
12/07/2003, 12:29 AM
Ya, they got manhandled..but jeesh, dont think they shouldnt go to the big one...OU has been very, very impressive all yr...it's true, you remember the last but even so, OU deserves it.

stereomandan
12/07/2003, 01:23 AM
Who cares!!! Let's have a playoff and do it the right way. I'm SO sick of the BCS and bowl games. I don't watch them anymore.

Why does college football refuse to go to a playoff system? Oh yeah. Money.

My $0.02

Dan

Old Yeller Tang
12/07/2003, 02:41 AM
The BCS is making me sick right now because I have a bad feeling that USC is going to be left out in the mix!:mad2: IMO, right now it should be USC and LSU because I don't think either team would've been blown out like OU did. But then again, I really don't think LSU could beat OU, USC or even Michigan!

Playoffs! You bet ya'!

Denzo
12/07/2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang
But then again, I really don't think LSU could beat OU, USC or even Michigan!
Playoffs! You bet ya'!

I will have to strongly disagree with that statement regarding LSU. But I guess we will have to wait and see. Would definitely love a playoff system though!!

jon007
12/07/2003, 09:27 AM
Yeah, a playoff system would be the way to go, the BCS system sucks. And one more thing......GO TROJANS!!!

pi
12/07/2003, 10:06 AM
I am really tired of all the (over) analysis by every sportscaster concerning BCS and the computer models that drive it...

Personally, I think OU is the better team and deserves to be playing for the national championship, but if they were to win, I have a problem with them as National Champion, but not the conference champion.

dendronepthya
12/07/2003, 11:35 AM
There is always the possibility of a split national champion if USC goes to the Rose Bowl and beats Michigan. This season may be the undoing of the BCS when you consider the team that is likely going to be #1 in both human polls might not have an opportunity to play in the national championship game.

Wolverine
12/07/2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by pi
Personally, I think OU is the better team and deserves to be playing for the national championship, but if they were to win, I have a problem with them as National Champion, but not the conference champion.

I said the same thing in the other college football thread, except that I think the do not deserve to play for it. If you're not the best team in your own conference, and at least have a share of the title, how can you claim to be the best team in the country?
Yeah, they looked impressive all year, but they got absolutely manhandled last night. It's not like they lost on a hail mary. And KSU could have easily scored again (and "run-up the score" :rolleye1: ).

Dave

IrishStout
12/08/2003, 01:03 AM
A playoff system would be the best route to go, but since I don't see that happening this season, LSU and USC should be playing for the national title. OU is a great team, but I agree that you should win your conference to play for the title. GEAUX TIGERS!!!

kevlouie
12/08/2003, 09:19 AM
Its funny that USC is ranked #1 in the human polls, because they haven't beaten anybody. They lost to a horrible team. OK and LSU loss came at least to a good team. They are where they should be the BCS works. It negates the west coast bias.

Old Yeller Tang
12/08/2003, 02:35 PM
It's not USC's fault that their opponents had down years and USC easily whipped up on them with the exception of CAL. USC had the toughest schedule last year and did well and this team is even better than last year's! If you look at Cal's record the last 5 games, they've been one of the hottest with the only close loss to Oregon and all you have to do is ask Michigan how tough it can be to play in Oregon! Maybe had USC had some of the luck LSU you did playing Mississippi, they would've made the field goal to help win that game. Lord nows they had chances to win it in regulation but they did come out flat against CAL. Anybody who saw the LSU-Miss game knows who should've won it! Just ask Lee Corso! Anyways, since your asking about weak schedules, USC had 2 common opponents(Auburn & Arizona) that LSU had and USC shut them both out which LSU didn't! And if you still think CAL is so weak, they put up 28pts against Kansas St. and OU was lucky to have 7!!!! OU was lucky to have beaten Alabama for those who didn't watch that game either! I've said all along they were way overrated and I'm glad Kansas St showed the world that too by handing OU's butts to them on a platter! A team that gets spanked that bad and doesn't even win their conference shouldn't be playing for the title! It's too bad computer geeks are calling the shots and these computers making the decisions when they don't watch the GAMES! Not only does USC get snubbed, they have to play the real #2 in the nation Michigan, who I think could easily beat OU and LSU! Just like college basketball, the hottest team going into the playoffs usually wins the tourney and USC and Michigan are the two hottest teams going into the bowl games! Btw, OU played lowly UCLA which USC did too, and UCLA scored 24pts on OU before the 4 quarter. UCLA didn't score a TD till seconds before the 4 quarter against USC when it became garbage time. UCLA actually had a lead against OU! Wonder how close a game it would've been had OU not have all those special teams TD's against UCLA!

It's too bad the real #1 isn't playing where they should be!:(

Old Yeller Tang
12/08/2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by kevlouie
They are where they should be the BCS works. It negates the west coast bias.

If the BCS worked, we shouldn't be in a situation where there might still be a split national championship and another rematch with Miami and Florida St! And about West Coast bias, we all know the East has more pull!

kevlouie
12/08/2003, 03:05 PM
Yes, which is why teams like PSU, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and Miami are always so over-rated, they are the big media outlets, etc. Eastern media likes the Big-Ten, Pac-Ten, too. So you have half the country voting for USC and the the other half splitting north/south. The BCS will be exxonerated when 15,000 more USC fans go to the Rose Bowl than could have the Sugar. Think I'm happy the Vols got shafted cause the Orange Bowl, Capital One, and Gator all wanted ticket sales and some of the big money guys are former alumni of the 3 and 4 loss teams that did get in? Money is what makes the world go round.

Gee do you really wanna play LSU in New Orleans at night? Oklahoma will be in for a dogfight. The winner of that game will be the national champ, no matter what the USC/Michigan game does, 2nd place is worth fighting for though. If they beat Michigan, albeit at home, they will able to say they could run with at least one of the big dogs.

IrishStout
12/09/2003, 12:03 AM
Hold on one second, I watched the LSU-Ole Miss game, and the right team won that game. Did you see what that defense did to Manning? USC is getting the shaft which is unfortunate, but you cannot say that LSU didn't earn their spot, because if OU had one, the match up would still be the same, USC would still be in the Rose Bowl and the Tigers would still be in the Sugar.

daclozer
12/09/2003, 01:55 PM
Should be ou vs lsu.. Everbody keeps saying that USC is number one, they got their butts kicked good by an unranked team and had a weak schedule. LSU has shown they deserve to be there all year and so has OU. And when OU spanks LSU and Michigan whips USC, then it will all work out the way it should have anyway....

Old Yeller Tang
12/09/2003, 04:20 PM
The only team that got their butts kicked was OU! As I said before, a national champ shouldn't have their butts handed to them and should at least win their conference. Yeah, it's not fair that they have to play a dumb conference championship game which I think is stupid just like in college basketball. College basketball makes it seem like no reason to play hard all season as long as you win your conference tournament. The more and more I think about it, it should be LSU and USC! OU fans should be lucky their are no playoffs cause no matter how good OU looked during the regular season, they showed they can still get an arse whooping! Just ask UNLV when the media were saying that they were as good as a pro team way back when, when they had Larry Johnson and Co. Everybody knew how good UNLV was as they went undefeated beating everybody handily and then they had that one bad night against Duke! If they played Duke ten times that season, they would've won 9 but they didn't win the one that COUNTED! OU fans are definitely in denial! Luckily for them, their is no playoffs and the computer geeks saved their season, well, depends if LSU gives them an arse whooping too!

Puffer Daddy
12/09/2003, 05:38 PM
OU strength of schedule was 11th.....USC was 37th

Old Yeller Tang
12/09/2003, 05:57 PM
OU got spanked! USC lost in triple overtime because they missed a field goal and turned the ball over late in the game that could've sealed it in regulation. You guys keep bringing up that loss to CAL but anybody in sports knows that on any given day anybody can get knocked off. That's why we play the games and that's why Kansas St. kicked OU butts and why Marshall beat Kansas St! A team always has to be prepared!

Luckily for OU, the computer geeks don't factor margin of victory because that 28pt drubbing would've hurt and good thing Kansas St. showed some mercy cause they could've easily ran up the score more! Remember, computers don't watch the game so if you fed them the info on a triple OT loss by 3pts as to a 28pt shellacking, guess what the computers would've sided with?

The sports writers and coaches have already spoken who is #1 and #2 in the nation right! I'm not handing the championship to USC yet because I actually fear Michigan more so than OU and LSU. Hopefully, there will be a split national championship and USC will remember this next year cause they'll have everyone back for vengence!

ousnakebyte
12/09/2003, 09:30 PM
All, see the other forum, College Football

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2096668#post2096668

daclozer
12/10/2003, 11:48 AM
old yeller is right anout one thing... on any given saturday any team can lose, so why does a loss at the end of the year mean more than at the beginning?? a loss is a loss, all three teams have 1 loss, so it has to come down to strength of scedule, total points and the rank of the team they lost to... right??? maybe the computer is smarter than we think.. the problem is we as humans taint the truth with our human emotions.. Honestly I would love to see ELI win a championship to go with his heisman.... but statistically he will just have to settle for the heisman !!!!

bubbletip
12/13/2003, 01:00 AM
OYT - you keep saying that Kansas State is the best team in the Big 12 just because they were the best team at the game that Saturday. The Big 12 north was weak this year. They had no where near the strength of schedule that OU had with out of conference and Big 12 south. Give it break. You are wrong. OU is the best team in the Big 12 conference. The season proves it. Even if they had kept margin of victory OU was so far ahead and had a .5 quality win that the schedules that USC and LSU played still wouldn't have made a difference. At the current time conference championships just mean we play one more game post season than the ones who don't have one. BCS and conference championships as they are now both stink.....but when you are OU there is no way the "opinion" polls of AP and Coachs are ever going to pick you, there has always been a bias there so until we have play-offs live with it OK? We had to live with dang opinion polls for years, you can live with the system now.It'll all be moot when OU kicks LSU's a$$ and Michigan kicks USC's.

Erick504
12/13/2003, 01:34 AM
Go LSU!:rollface:

Old Yeller Tang
12/13/2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by bubbletip
OYT - you keep saying that Kansas State is the best team in the Big 12 just because they were the best team at the game that Saturday. The Big 12 north was weak this year. They had no where near the strength of schedule that OU had with out of conference and Big 12 south. Give it break. You are wrong. OU is the best team in the Big 12 conference. The season proves it. Even if they had kept margin of victory OU was so far ahead and had a .5 quality win that the schedules that USC and LSU played still wouldn't have made a difference. At the current time conference championships just mean we play one more game post season than the ones who don't have one. BCS and conference championships as they are now both stink.....
Obviously, you haven't read the other college football thread that's seems to be tied with this one! I mentioned how ridiculous the conference championship games are as well as the BCS! I mentioned how OU had to play a 3 loss team in order to claim themselves champs as well as LSU having to beat Georgia twice which was unnecessary! But since the Big 12 crowns the winner the conference champs, technically OU is 2nd best which by the way I mentioned that we really know who was best.

Originally posted by bubbletip
but when you are OU there is no way the "opinion" polls of AP and Coachs are ever going to pick you, there has always been a bias there so until we have play-offs live with it OK? We had to live with dang opinion polls for years, you can live with the system now.It'll all be moot when OU kicks LSU's a$$ and Michigan kicks USC's.
How can that be when before OU lost, all we heard was how marvelous they were! The media was making them out to be as good as a pro team! Thank K St for setting them straight!
And about OU kickin' LSU butts and Michigan kickin' USC's butts, I think it depends on whether the OU team that showed up to play K St does so again as well as the USC team that faced CAL.:rolleyes: