PDA

View Full Version : too sketchy for me

Chris Mu.
12/06/2003, 06:29 PM
i listed my paintball gun for sale on www.paintballcalssifieds.com

someone emailedme and told me hw would like to buy it and that he would arrange a pick up from my house ...

so i emailed him back and said thats fine if he wants to have like ups pick it up or something ... here what i got in reply"

thanks for your mail.
i have a client in the usa who is owing me the sum of$4,000.00 and he has promise to pay me with a cashiers check. you will have to do me a favor. i will ask him to send you the check on your name. you will deduct your money and send the excess funds via western union money transfer to my shipping agent who will be coming for the pick up
waiting for you soonest reply.

now tell me that doesnt seem like creating a crazy paper trail.. to cover something .. even if it is legit .. who gives somebody 4k$ and... lol its just too strange

grostanzo
12/06/2003, 06:35 PM
Personally, I would not do it. Like you said it may be legit but, something just doesn't feel right about it. Just what I would do.

Chris Mu.
12/06/2003, 06:36 PM
yeha i already emailed him back and said pay me the normal way or no go

grostanzo
12/06/2003, 06:41 PM
Good Idea!

Soltaker
12/06/2003, 06:58 PM
block his e-mail!! :D

Chris Mu.
12/06/2003, 07:03 PM
kinda stinks cause that was 300 bucks that i was excited to get soon .. i want my nikon 5700 so i can take the nice macro shots ....im selling all my crap jsut to get it .. lol for the same amount i could prolly get another tank or a few rubermaid tubs to start my propagation plant in my basement .. heh heh but i wnt a camera

joeychitwood
12/06/2003, 07:33 PM
Run! It's a scam, and you'll be out $4,000!

Chris Mu.
12/06/2003, 07:35 PM
i didnt even entertain the thought .. sounded too wierd

MarkS
12/06/2003, 07:35 PM
Read what happened to one of our members, Aaron1000us, when he fell for this scam: Phoney Cashier's Check scam (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=228895&highlight=Aaron1100us)

The check will look good and will fool the cashier at the bank, but it's fake and you'll be out the amount of the check!

Steve_B
12/06/2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Chris Mu.
i listed my paintball gun for sale on www.paintballcalssifieds.com

someone emailedme and told me hw would like to buy it and that he would arrange a pick up from my house ...

so i emailed him back and said thats fine if he wants to have like ups pick it up or something ... here what i got in reply"

thanks for your mail.
i have a client in the usa who is owing me the sum of$4,000.00 and he has promise to pay me with a cashiers check. you will have to do me a favor. i will ask him to send you the check on your name. you will deduct your money and send the excess funds via western union money transfer to my shipping agent who will be coming for the pick up
waiting for you soonest reply.

now tell me that doesnt seem like creating a crazy paper trail.. to cover something .. even if it is legit .. who gives somebody 4k$ and... lol its just too strange

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
i DON'T KNOW IF i MENTIONED IT YET BUT, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Nagel
12/06/2003, 09:34 PM
It is a well known scam. The check is forged, and when the bank figures this out, you are out the cashm having sent this dirtbag your real cash.

Either cash, paypal or certified money order, no BS cashiers check...

Chris Mu.
12/06/2003, 10:10 PM
he cant do anyhting with a name and addy can he .. cause after the first email he asked me for my name and addy for shipping purposes... that was b4 the strange email

lol i just emailed him back and told him i was hip to his scam .. and then after that i blocked him .. then i went to mail.com his provider and told them what he was upto... heh heh that'll teach him..although he has my addy .. eh i've got guns here lol

Alberio
12/06/2003, 11:16 PM
Chris, don't morn a lost sale. You were never close to a sale.

They would have send you a bogus check to have you deposit it in your account. They would have then asked you for your account number to pull out the 4k less the cost of your gun.

They would have then cleaned out your account and there is nothing you could have done.

There was a guy on RC that actually bit on this and lost quite a bit of money. He was trying to sell a car.

Your instincts were good on this one!

mjd

Chris Mu.
12/06/2003, 11:45 PM
yeah i have others interested in the gun .. i cant wait to get m camera .. thankfully God has blessed me witha bit of discernment .. heh heh

joeychitwood
12/07/2003, 07:29 AM
I am interested in your gun. But right now, all my money is tied up in a Nigerian bank account from when I was a counselor for unwed mothers with AIDS in the Peace Corps. But just for you, I'm willing to send you 20% of my total net worth if you help me transfer the cash to an American bank. I just need your account number.....

Chris Mu.
12/07/2003, 10:05 AM
lol i got one of those too...

i also got one from some guy who was worth millions and they needed like 100 people to post money to un seize te funds .. some people

mike4271
12/07/2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by joeychitwood
I am interested in your gun. But right now, all my money is tied up in a Nigerian bank account from when I was a counselor for unwed mothers with AIDS in the Peace Corps. But just for you, I'm willing to send you 20% of my total net worth if you help me transfer the cash to an American bank. I just need your account number.....

Dont bank on getting all of that money from Nigeria, I believe I had first dibs on that. Have you been getting more of these lately, I seem to have one every week, and Im sure that my replies that I have sent would get me thrown off R/C. Like I have said before, someone must fall for these or they wouldnt keep doing it.:(

joeychitwood
12/07/2003, 11:17 AM
I received a particularly offensive letter yesterday from a "woman" who was scamming people in the name of Jesus to finance her mission work.

I'm guessing Hell has an entire wing for spammers and online con artists. It had better be large!

mike4271
12/07/2003, 11:22 AM
I remember posting on another thread asking if there is any way that these things are investigated, but didnt recieve one reply, maybe its too much trouble, or just plain impossible:mad:

Chris Mu.
12/07/2003, 11:23 AM
i just report them to their mail server .. hopefully they shut em off

Alberio
12/07/2003, 12:10 PM
Hey was the 'buyer' from Nigeria? The Det. News had a big article on that scan. He sends you a bogus check for 4k. You send him the change of 3.7k. 2 weeks later the bank calls you and says the cashiers check was bogus.

So, the deposit is no good, but your transfer to the A$$ in Nigeria is good. You're out 3700.00.

The bank is required to make your cashier's check funds available to you next business day. BUT, they don't verify that it's legitimate funds for 2 to 3 weeks.

Rule of thumb. If it sounds to good to be true, it is.

Coral Dilema
12/07/2003, 01:30 PM
I got one from someone claiming to be the personal lawyer/accountant of a deceased man in another country with my last name. Supposedly he had 13 million tied up in a bank account that hadnt been claimed because no next of kin could be found. Because I had the same last name as the deceased the lawyer wanted to name me as next of kin so he could distribute the money to me, and take his share also.

He guaranteed that everything would be legit and all that.

I deleted the email without a 2nd thought.

I wonder if it was real . . .

Chris Mu.
12/07/2003, 01:32 PM
it was real ... he was batmans uncle