PDA

View Full Version : Clown(s) in a 10g?

Overtkill
12/04/2003, 08:41 PM
I am currently working on plans for a 10g nano-reef. I would very much like to have a clownfish in the tank if possible. I know its possible (or so i've been told), what i am wondering is how big a pain is it going to be? Is it going to require more water changes or some dosing that wouldn't be needed otherwise? Is there any special care required for having a clown in a 10g reef tank, i guess is what im asking...

Also what would be the best type clown for the 10g? Im thinking its between the True and False Percula...

JHardman
12/04/2003, 08:54 PM
As long as you stick to a common species such as A. ocellaris or A. percula the size of the tank is fine. They do not require lots of space. However bio load can be a problem. You will have to stay on top of that.

Just as a word to the wise. Small tanks are hard to keep. They are much more susceptible to swings in the water quality like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, parameters like salinity, pH and temp. You really have to be on top of things or they can go south fast, much faster than a larger tank.

When I have been asked before what size tank is best for someone new (assuming you are) to the hobby I generally suggest the typical 50-55 gallon tank, as they are more stable and more forgiving if one screws up. Equipment is also easy to deal with, e.g. skimmer, lights, pumps.

Overtkill
12/04/2003, 08:58 PM
How does the bio load affect the tank? Meaning, what specifically is different with or without the clown?

JHardman
12/04/2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Overtkill
How does the bio load affect the tank? Meaning, what specifically is different with or without the clown?

The fish and the food that you feed the fish will produce wastes that need to be filtered by the living system that is your cycled tank. The amount(s) wastes produced by anything living or rotting in your tank is referred to as "bio load".

If you were to keep just corals, your bio load would less than if you had a clownfish or any other fish for that matter.

Checkout the "new to the hobby" forum... If I remember correctly there are several sticky post at the top of the forum that are there to help new people that are interested in the hobby. You will also find a lot of information in that forum that will help get off on the right foot and hopefully avoid common newbie mistakes.