PDA

View Full Version : Formalin, Gill Flukes & Scratching

sfsalty
06/30/2001, 07:02 PM
Hi everyone,
The fish have been scratching and shuddering, so I concluded gill flukes, since they are already in hyposalinity for the last two weeks for ick. I have done two formalin dips (1 ml of 37% solution per gal) on my powder blue tang and racoon for 45 minutes each dip. I am doing a series of three dips every other day per Terry B's suggestion/article.

My question is that both fish continue to scratch and I was wondering when this behavior is supposed to stop. Isn't the formalin supposed to kill the flukes?

Also, now the racoon's caudal fin seems to be receding/rotting. I put some melafix in the qurantine. I can't tell if that is helping. I am starting to feel like I am overmedicating. Please help.

Larry

Terry B
07/01/2001, 03:45 AM
Larry,
If you are using the dose that I suggested and not something less then finish the third dip. Be sure to use an airstone. If you are using a net rather than a plastic bag or small bucket to catch the fish it is very likely that the net injured the fish opening the door to a bacterial infection. Since you already started the Melafix continue unless the infection is getting worse and spreading. If the melafix does not work then try Nitrofurazone at 50mg/gal, just one dose on the first day keeping them in the medicated water for 3 to 5 days. Maracyn-Two (Minocycline) is another good choice (double dose each day for 7 to 10 days. Neomycin at 250mg/gal administered like Nitrofurazone is also a good choice. If the fish have not stopped scratching a couple of days after the third dip then you should be looking for a toxin or other irritant in the water. Formalin in a dip, antibiotics in the quarantine tank.
Terry B

sfsalty
07/01/2001, 11:17 AM
Thanks Terry B.

Now I see a reddish bump of about 1mm on one of the pelvic fins at the place where the fin meets the body. What is this?

I will monitor. I do not use a net and DO use an airstone in the dip. I have the airstone in the dip for 2-3 hours prior to putting the fish in. I read this in our article, so I wanted to make sure this is still the proper procedure. If the infection progresses, I will use Maracyn-2. What do you recommend in terms of water changes when Maracyn-2 is dosed?

Thanks again,
Larry