PDA

View Full Version : I don't know my wrasse from a hole in the ground

Amanda
06/29/2001, 02:26 PM
Ok, more lighting questions! I think I'm gonna do the 2 400w MH DIY setup, but what kinda supplementation am I gonna need? Planned tank is a 90 gallon, and I want to keep SPS, LPS, Clams, you name it..

Any suggestions?
Amanda :p

chewie
06/29/2001, 03:26 PM
funny subject, for a lighting question!!! anyway I have a 400w german 10k in a diy canopy for my 29g. My wife sez its too bright it doesn't have the blue tint like the 12k and that's the way I like it. now to help ease her eye I threw in a 15w marine glo actinic, on a timer to come on 30 min before the halide and off 30 min after the halide. When she's not around I like to turn off the actinic for that white look. the 400w 10k is very white and with actinic on it throws a little blue into the mix. If you want a really blue tint go with the 12k or even a 20k bulb. I love my 10k!!!

Adrian
06/29/2001, 07:43 PM
Great title:D Supplementation would depend on what MH bulbs your running, ie spectrum. I am getting a few 400 watts later this summer and plan to use VHO actinic to supplement Iwasaki 5600K bulbs. If you go with a higer kelvin bulb, 10-20K, you might not want any supplementation at all. The lower kelvin bulbs are cheaper to replace and tend to last longer than the higer K bulbs. HTH