PDA

View Full Version : Hep w/ RC airplane xmas gift

Starmy
11/30/2003, 09:28 PM
Hello!

My husband and father watch this stupid guy on TV who assembles RC toys. This weekend he was making a plane and he said it was available with *something*... some kind of laser tag kind of thing, that would allow two planes to dog fight eachother.

I know nothing about this, but I would like more information on something like this, because it would be a great thing to get each of them for xmas.

Does anyone know any online vendors who sell RC airplanes that can "fight" each other?

gilman
11/30/2003, 09:53 PM
If they have no experience flying RC, I would recommend getting them an EPP Foam plane of some sort.

I fly gliders and electrics, and there are some cool flying wings made for combat flight. They don't have laser tag built in or anything, but you can definitely try knocking the other out of the air which is probably more fun. These planes are very durable and perfect for teaching folks to fly without them having to fix the plane every time you crash as you do with conventional balsa or fiberglass planes.

Combat Wings (http://www.combatwings.com)

I fly the XE2 Electric and the regular slope glider XR. I have a gas powered balsa flying wing as well, but I would not recomment that type of model for a beginner as it is VERY fast and would splat quickly in the wrong hands.

I will do some searching and see if I can find this air to air combat laser thingy you are talking about. If I find it I will post a link for you here.

Gil

lllosingit
11/30/2003, 10:00 PM
I did a quick search and this is what I cam up with.

BattleRC is laser tag between up to 15 model aircraft (planes and helicopters), viewing live video from a camera mounted on the aircraft through a VR headset. It is a revolutionary company, the experience will be available to Los Angeles/Orange County residents in November, expanding to many metropolitan areas within a year.

http://www.battlerc.com/

nateh
12/01/2003, 01:08 AM
What they saw was the "Fighterbird" from HobbyZone Also called Firebird, Aerobird, etc. They sell many variations of what is essentially the same plane. They can be had for around $100 each. At least thats what they charge locally. Lots of "hopups" can be bought from the manufacturer. Pretty fun plane. I got one as my first plane, took a bit of practice but I got the hang of it. They come with a video that covers how to fly, assembly, battery charging, etc.

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=HBZ4000

Starmy
12/01/2003, 01:58 AM
nateh - I think that's the one. Since you've had one, let me ask a few questions.

I watched the demo video, and it seems like the disabled plane that loses power & crashes would get broken. Are these meant for one-time use? Or do they somehow not break when they crash?

Is the 15-minute flight time they list accurate?

Thx!

nateh
12/01/2003, 02:39 AM
The wings are made of very resilient foam, and the tail boom is fiber. The plane doesn't weigh that much. I've crashed many many times, and I could still use the original wing. I changed to the "high speed" wing after a while. The original has tears, gashes, but it has never broken. Thats why these planes are good to learn on-nothing to really break. And no complicated controls, just a single joystick. Up makes it go up, down makes it slow down, right/left make it go right/left.

Menards
12/01/2003, 04:14 AM
I watched the demo video, and it seems like the disabled plane that loses power & crashes would get broken. Are these meant for one-time use? Or do they somehow not break when they crash

This means that is how long the battery lasts to run the motor. The controls still operate on a separate battery and you still have full control of the aircraft. This way you can do a controlled gliding landing know as "dead stick."

When you learn to fly RC with an instructor you do many dead stick landings so you know how the plane operates. The problems with a dead stick, is when you lose power you have a couple of very quick decisions to make.

Can I make it back to the run way, or do I have to land out in the field. No matter what, a pilot who dead sticks, can land the plane effectively 99% of the time with no damage whatsoever, just like a normal landing. You just may have to retrieve it. A normal landing is normally done with the engine totally throttled back, so it is essentially the same, the only thing is, if you are coming in too fast, or you are not level when your about to touch down, you can throttle back up, come back around and try again. You do not have that option with a dead stick landing.

gilman
12/01/2003, 10:48 AM
As I stated in my first post. No matter what plane you get, make sure it's an EPP foam plane. Balsa planes will just frustrate the beginner RC Flyer due to time taken away from the flying spot to fix the plane. I wish they had EPP Foamies when I was learning to fly.....

Gil

ps. knocking other planes out of the air is ALOT of fun. Trying to cut a streamer from someone elses plane is fun as well, but the best imo is still just taking out your opponent so they have to WALK to get their plane!

davidpt40
12/01/2003, 10:50 AM
When I started with R/C, I was surprised at how hard it was to fly an r/c airplane. The first plane I learned how to fly was a PT-40, hence my name. It has about a 5-foot wingspan and a .40 sized engine. Quite a neat plane, but its all wood construction probably wont hold up to a crash.

Not to be morbid, but an r/c airplane can kill or maim people.

gilman
12/01/2003, 10:58 AM
In the wrong hands an RC plane can definitely be a weapon. Most sport planes with engines will move along at a very high rate of speed. My gas powered wing goes around 70mph in level flight at full throttle and does well over 100 in a dive. My electric wing does around 40 in level flight, and around twice that in a dive. Hitting someone would not be good at these speeds.

I would definitely suggest purchasing AMA insurance (http://www.modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/) which if you follow their rules will cover damage by your model for up to a million dollars. Two of the spots that I fly at requires this card and three of them do not. Either way I am a member of AMA to cover my butt in case of accidents.

Gil

dogfacepuffer
12/01/2003, 11:42 AM
I have been thinking of getting these planes for about a year. I think it will be something I buy in the near future. Maybe Christmas, from Santa...

rcmike
12/01/2003, 08:52 PM
Dang double post. :rolleye1:

rcmike
12/01/2003, 08:53 PM
Be careful. If they get one of those, they may end up with one of these.http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/bellsouth/Groups/62/62255/folders/31913/229717raptor.jpg

or one of these
http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/bellsouth/Groups/62/62255/folders/31913/755017alatalia.jpg

I know I did. R/C is very addictive.

gilman
12/01/2003, 10:16 PM
rcmike,

Great looking plane and copter! Here are my glider wing and electric wing....

http://oc-creative.com/wings/flyingpics/bothwings.jpg

No pic of the gas powered one. Maybe I will take one soon.

Gil

rcmike
12/01/2003, 10:30 PM
Sweet! We don't have many gliders around here. Not the best conditions I guess. I crashed the helicopter a couple of weeks ago. Somehow a washer was inside my transmitter and shorted out the aileron and elevator controls! Messed up the heli pretty bad and broke the piston in the engine.

thrlride
12/02/2003, 02:01 PM
can someone post a link to the high speed wing for the firebird? I have this exact plane and would like that hop-up.

Starmy
12/03/2003, 01:00 AM
Nah, my father has his A&P and has spent over 30 years working with aircraft between military & civilian positions. I think he's had his fill beyond this little toy. Husband on the other hand -- only if there's a way to hook it up to the webserver and fly it from his keyboard. :rolleyes: :)

I took the easy way out and ordered 2 of the Fighterbird & two of the Combat Wings. That way I don't have to pick the wrong one, and if they break one they will have a backup. Thanks for all your input! :)

55Reef
12/03/2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by davidpt40
Not to be morbid, but an r/c airplane can kill or maim people.

Very True!

Model airplane kills man Tucson-AP) --
A 60-year-old Tucson man is dead after the radio-controlled plane
he was operating near the Pima County Fairgrounds crashed into his chest.

Roger Wallace was flying the six-pound plane with the Southern Arizona Modelers, a
radio-controlled airplane group he'd been involved with for three years.

Wallace was pronounced dead at the scene of the 9:30 a-m accident yesterday.

The Pima County Sheriff's Department say it appears the sunlight caused Wallace
to lose sight of his airplane, which had a wingspan of about five feet.

This guy retired from Drag Racing because it was too dangerous!

Be Careful!

gilman
12/04/2003, 12:12 AM
At least he killed himself (which is amazing). I don't understand losing sight of the plane if its COMING AT YOU!!!!!

When I park fly my electrics (I have an electric floater too), the safest place to be is near me, or I will make you duck for sure. I like making people duck it is h i l a r i o u s. The electric wouldn't kill ya, but it sure is intimidating coming by close when you aren't the one controlling it.

Here is the Electric Floater w/folding prop..... It can thermal for hours.
http://oc-creative.com/wings/flyingpics/floater2.jpg

Starmy wow, very nice gifts! Someone's gunna be happy this Christmas!

Gil