PDA

View Full Version : Too small to be a country, too big to be an asylum

hesaias
06/28/2001, 08:13 AM
South Carolina
My home state
good ol' boy central
Dont even mention our Senator, Strom Thurmond, who was in office when the shots were fired on Ft Sumter
Or Fritz Hollings
but now, we have the "Mens Caucus" calling for female pages to wear less, and the dems and republicans telling the Boys State they are for the Govt funding "hot girls and cold beer"
Do we all look like Yahoos and rednecks? I mean, these are our "representitives" right?

Kahuna Tuna
06/28/2001, 08:54 AM
Well at least you have electricity. Here in sunny California I'm afraid we have got you beat when it comes to stupid politicians. Our legislature passes things like "get in touch with your feminine side day" and we are supposed to take these people seriously. On the plus side however this is one of the most expensive states to live in. Sheesh........

Aquaman
06/28/2001, 02:48 PM
hesaias wrote:Do we all look like Yahoos and rednecksHey I resemble that remark! :D We got almost as many of them rednecks and Yahoos down here as you do! Shoot there is a couple of small towns here that still don't beleive the south lost! :eek1:

signu459
06/29/2001, 08:47 AM
HEy did you see that kid who got kicked out of school for wearing a Jeff Foxworthy you might be a Red Neck T-shirt. I guess the schoold said it was racist.

horge
06/29/2001, 06:33 PM
Can someone explain to me what the heck "race" is?

Seems more a fiction for political convenience than anything else at this point. We can have cultural differences, or political differences --heck, even economic differences-- but those labels already take up the available space.

If I were to go into my roots of parentage, I seriously doubt any of these 'races' would be left out.

Take signu...hehe

He's technically Asian (the Vedic/Aryan thing, you know)
He's technically African (going back a couple of million years)
So Tim, if you ever find yourself craving for curried goat, or maybe itching to hunt lions with a spear....

:D :D :D

As for race = skin color?
-- I have two words for that:

Michael Jackson
:eek:

horge

horge
06/29/2001, 06:42 PM
Regarding plankton vs. damsels for my sympathy...
(the original thread topic)

I nearly don't give a rat's poopy whichever gets what whacked out of them in hobbyist tanks. It's taking them out of the oceans in unreasonable quantities that ticks me off...

Harrrrrumph.
:)

hesaias
06/29/2001, 09:11 PM
Horge
Most thinking folks know "race" has nothing to do with skin color. Legnth of arms and legs compared to trunk legnth="Race"
There are "3" races. The rest of us are mongrels. As for me being an American, I prefer Eurfrosian American:D

BTW, whats damsels and planktoh got to do with us rednecks?

Smitty91
06/30/2001, 12:03 PM
The problem with racist is that it's a term used far too loosely these days, usually for intimidation purposes more than anything instead of using it for the real cases, rendering it a more useless arguement as time progresses.

Define racist. If one were to look it up in the dictionary, they would find the Jeff Foxworthy shirt this kid wore was indeed, NOT racist as racist is defined by Webster himself. And since the school did not want any bad publicity, racist labeling, or racial discrimination law suits, they complied and saw this type of t-shirt as wrong. The accusations that this type of t-shirt is racist holds no water. Everyone seems to have made up their own definition nowadays. :rolleyes:

The term redneck is being used against the people themselves as a racist thing. It's a way of life, that doesn't necessarily always entail racism. In other words, you have racists that aren't rednecks. You also have rednecks that aren't racist.

When Jeff Foxworthy came to the bay area to perform, many opposers were standing outside, picketing against him, urging people that had tickets standing in line waiting to get in to see his show, to go back home and not support this racist. Funny. Anyone ever see Martin Lawrence Live on HBO? The difference? Jeff doesn't criticize / mock blacks in his performances. The same cannot be said about Martin Lawrence and whites. Ironic isn't it? Does / did anyone complain about Martin? Of course not. Anyone that did, would be considered racist. LOL

Segregation is only improper, unconstitutional, and or racist if 1 one race segregates another. Since the ending of the Civil War, the races now tend to segregate themselves, and it's ok. Not to the extremes that existed when one race segregated the other. But nontheless. I guess whatever makes it more right, whatever right is.

Some more Irony: It's acceptable for one to wear a "gay pride" t-shirt to school. Just don't think about wearing a "straight pride" shirt as another kid was kicked out of school for wearing this.

Double standards?

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm.

Smitty

horge
06/30/2001, 07:04 PM
Scott, Tim, et al.

MEA CULPA!!!! I mixed up the "What Is Your Life Worth" plankton-and-damsels thread and this one. :(

Bad horge, bad horge....
This brownneck apologizes to the reds :D

horge

PS: I seem to recall Ron once posting about "Algea and Rednecks" --maybe back then, he too was getting funky in the brain one morning, hehehe

signu459
07/02/2001, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by horge
Scott, Tim, et al.

MEA CULPA!!!! I mixed up the "What Is Your Life Worth" plankton-and-damsels thread and this one. :(

Bad horge, bad horge....
This brownneck apologizes to the reds :D

horge

Horge, you never cease to amaze me!!! :D :D :D To funny!!

BTW you'd be hard pressed to find an ounce of black in me as white as I am. heck in the winters I scare off Casper the ghost.

signu459
07/02/2001, 08:19 AM
Smitty,

I totaly agree with what you have said you are exactly right!!

The word racist is thrown around way to much. And it is a two sided sword, it can cut both ways. But there are certain people that think it is only a one sided sword (not to mention names....Jesse Jackson). But that problem is as much white folks fault as it is blacks. I see white folks dancing around all the time trying not to appear racist. Then at the same time i see blacks folks taking advantage of it. These are also the same folks who preach non stop about being open minded and such. But it is obvious thatr they are not, because the first thing they checked was the skin color of the person they were dealing with.

aragorn
07/02/2001, 11:51 AM
Here's an interesting one for ya, The National Black Chamber of Commerce:
http://www.nationalbcc.org/

I wonder what would happen if one was to create a White Chamber of Commerce.

Smitty91
07/02/2001, 12:34 PM
signu

Absolutely. These type of accusations should be reserved for real cases of discrimination. With the current abuse of racist, it's starting to fall on deaf ears, just like the little boy who cried wolf.

When Malcom X went on his pilgrimage to Mecca, there is one very important thing I found to keep in mind. Malcolm stated "I met blonde-haired, blued-eyed men I could call my brothers." Why is this I ask? Because, you had a group of people, all with the same beliefs and same religion. So of course, harmony was abundant in such an environment. I witnessed the same thing growing up in the Church of God. A multitude of people going to the same church, with the same beliefs, different skin colors, and everyone calling each other brother or sister. Everyone was judged based on their spiritual cleansing, not skin color.

I no longer go to church because I feel all of them tend to be cults, in one way or another. (no offense intended to anyone) I have my beliefs and I have my prejudices. I care not to try and appear right in the eyes of so many different people for that is virtually impossible.

There are many atrocities in the history books, dating all the way back to the biblical days. Slavery is by far, nothing IMO compared to the NAZI era, Hitler and the Holocaust. I don't understand why the Jews now, aren't more upset about it, especially seeing NAZI symbols still floating around. And no, I am not jewish.

I don't know. It was Abraham Lincoln that said "No two cultures can co-exist". History only proves Abraham's theory, all the way up today's current events.

Smitty :)

horge
07/03/2001, 02:04 AM
Smitty:

Bullseye.
The 'racist' card is indeed just a tool.
Bottom line is that there are perceived 'haves' and 'have nots', and while we all like to believe in one law for all, and that all men are equal, governments and other centrist authorities lapse into playing referee... imposing handicaps to try to level the playing field.

It stinks for those lumped unfairly in with the 'haves', to suffer an imposed handicap. But the disaster supposedly averted is excessive dominance by any one sector of the population. Diversity on all levels brings blessings to both reeftanks and societies.

Perhaps it's not so much the handicap that hurts, but the insult of being labelled an oppressor --when in fact nearly EVERYONE's hurting, and often quite sympathetic to others in need.

We know that economic and political strength comes from numbers, and it's only natural for people to band together with those who look like themselves. The question is WHY they feel the need to band together in such an exclusionary manner.

Many of those with grievances are now so quick to point to an oppressor without checking first whether their grievances aren't common to ALL ...often because demagogues drive them to.

To false prophets dividing us on black or white or yellow or brown:
we ALL bleed red, while you grow rich on our green.

Son of Arathorn:

A National White Chamber of Commerce?
Doesn't one actually already exist? Hehehe:p

Tim:

You mean you get even whiter around winter???
Amazing.
:)