PDA

View Full Version : Open Brain

marine_ace
11/28/2003, 09:01 PM
I just got a open brain with green metalic color. I place on the bottom of the tank. I have a two 3' 18000k FL and a two PLC 18w.

After about 12 hours of lighting, the brain's color (about 15%)changed to brownish. When I turned off the lights, the color seem to be back to more green. Izzit normal? or too much lights?

siren
11/28/2003, 10:27 PM
I think you should have done your frikin home work on this particular coral.

Maxxumless
11/28/2003, 10:34 PM
I believe the green variety requires more intense lighting than the red – that said, these types of corals require medium to high light. I’m sorry to say, but what you have will not meet its requirements unless you mistyped or left something out.

MalaysiaBoleh
11/28/2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by siren

Gee, How rude!:D

But as a matter of fact, he should have done at least some research before he purchased it. With this kind of 'BUY NOW, ASK LATER' kinda attitude, I'm sure many of his corals will end up dead.

I think he got ATTITUDE PROBLEM! Need to see a psychiatrist :D

Omidon4
11/28/2003, 10:46 PM
Alright, we see he made a mistake... don't flame... instead tell him what he should do... though budget is a must for most of us... some can go out and buy what is right... HELP HIM.. I don't know I may be out of line.. but I think what is important is how to help the coral, not making someone stop coming to RC because he was yelled at.

My $.02

mike4271
11/28/2003, 11:07 PM

WOW, just the sort of advise people come to R/C for, wassup, having a bad brain night.?

Diehl
11/28/2003, 11:34 PM

If I was the Moderator for this site you would be GONE:cool: But anyway I have the same coral and it won't make it with your lighting. I have a 90gal and the coral is on the sand with duel 175watt MH's and duel 110watt VHO's, and is growing wonderfuly. Try and take him back to the LFS for something else or to go towards better lighting;)

mike4271
11/28/2003, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diehl
[B]If I was the Moderator for this site you would be GONE:cool:

Maybe thats why people like us arent Mods, I cant stand this trash talk either but it seems to be coming more prevelant as time goes on, Oh well, there is always the ignore option. :rolleyes:

BAT
11/29/2003, 08:44 AM
gee, siren..... you may have a point but this the first time since i visited this site to read such a reply.....very disappointing :( :(

sabalough
11/29/2003, 09:00 AM
how about some advice for this newby?

Your tank is under lit for this coral, however if you can move it as close to the lights as practicle it may help untill you can arange for some beter lighting.
If your cf lights cas be arranged so they are close to gether on one side of the tank you can increase the intensity at least localy for your coral.just remember not to leave your other corals( if anny) in the dark.
rc is for helping eatch other not b@#$ at each other!!!!

Radcast2
11/29/2003, 09:25 AM
I think you should have done your frikin home work on this particular coral. Main reason why I left Saltwaterfish.com, BUT very glad I did cause now i gots them there corals in my tank, people over there IMO only can answer with replies like that, never help just make you feel bad and curse you.
Seriously though IMO an apology would be a good idea, or a serious re-wording.

As for your marine-ace....research as much as possible we or most of use have bought without research, but have learned. Like stated above your lighting inst enough. I have 220w of VHO lighting and it wasnt enough for my open brain, not at a placement of 22" away from the lights. If you can try to place it as high as you can, take a sea shell and place sand in it then place the brain on the sand in the shell and put it as high as possible. Good Luck. You may also want to consider taking it back unitl your lighting can be upgraded. If you'd like we can post a number of corals that would be okay under your lighting. Just let us know and we'll get that for you.

gofish
11/29/2003, 10:11 AM
I doubt anyone in this hobby can say that they haven't purchased something and then realized that they didnt have what was required for their livestock.
Whether it was a conscience thing or not some just like the excuse to upgrade and come here to releive the guilt:)

plus this is the "New To Hobby" section.

swordfish
11/29/2003, 10:23 AM
Hey siren, give marine ace a break. It takes people a while to find out that the LFS is not the best place for advise, and the LFS did sell it to him, probably knowing what his setup was. When I first started in this hobby, I thought the LFS was a place to put my trust in, and I have learned that some (not all) are a business first and fish lovers second.

Please don't make people afraid to come to reef central for advice. This site has been tremendously helpful to me because I was not afraid to ask questions.

marine_ace
11/29/2003, 10:53 AM
hey guys thanks for your support, anyway i dont bother about this kind of ppl.

Coming back to my problem. The brain seem to shrink when I on the lights and it expand when I off the light. If my lights arent strong enough it should be the other way rite?:confused:

swordfish
11/29/2003, 05:01 PM
I have a metallic green Trachyphyllia radiata that I got about 3 months ago. see this website that sells them: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=22&pCatId=432

Mine shrinks at night when the lights are off and expands during daylight hours. I have 110 watts pc and 40 watts NO flour on a 29 gallon and it seems to be doing well. My calcium is at 420 and salinity at 1.025. They need to be on the sandbed as they expand and contract quite a bit. My LFS told me to put it high up in the tank, I'm glad I read about them first and put them on the sandbed.

swordfish
11/29/2003, 05:12 PM
If you can't get more light right away and you want to place the brain closer to the light without it falling over due to expansion, you can get some eggcrate and make a little platform on your rock, this way when it expands, it won't fall over. Just secure the eggcrate platform to your rock with some rubber bands.

neil 2500 ltr
11/29/2003, 05:18 PM
heres a pic of open brain in my tank kept quite low down under 250 watt mh 14000 k doing very well , tank depth is 36 inchs!:eek1: http://C:\Documents and Settings\neil formby\My Documents\Cnv0013.jpg

marine_ace
11/29/2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by neil 2500 ltr
heres a pic of open brain in my tank kept quite low down under 250 watt mh 14000 k doing very well , tank depth is 36 inchs!:eek1: http://C:\Documents and Settings\neil formby\My Documents\Cnv0013.jpg

Neil, nice brain...:D ,

Here is a pic of my brain when I just on the lights, I can see tantacle coming out. Now the brain is on the highest point of the LR. I will post another pic when the lights are on for a few hours later.

marine_ace
11/29/2003, 08:49 PM
another pic.

R33f3r
11/29/2003, 08:57 PM
Here's mine before I placed it higher in the tank. It was losing color too.