PDA

View Full Version : Seeking help to determine appropriate fish load

Splach
11/26/2003, 02:24 PM
Greets guys, my tank has been delayed another 3 - 4 weeks for delivery so we don't have much to do other than look at pictures of fish and try to figure out which ones we like and what goes with what. Before we get to carried away I would like some help figuring out the right number of fish to expect once we go through all the cycling and waiting etc... I have seen some calculators that calculate recommended number of fish inches (minus tail) based on the gallon sizes. I really doubt that my fish would do very well without their tails ;), is there any better advice out there?

Here is the setup:

4' x 2' x 31" high (150 gallons). Open front and back with 3" live sand, and LR reef built up in the middle, diagonally across the tank. 2 400w 10K MH, 2 40w Actinics, berlin protien skimmer, CA reactor and CO2 system, 40 gallon sump. Circulation equaling ~10x per hour turn over. Lots of inverts, corals, etc. Because of the height of the tank there will be considerable free swimming area above the reef.

These are the fish we were currently thinking about:
(Schooling fish for added interest in the free swimming area)
6 Blue Green Reef Chromis
3 Spotted Cardinalfish

(Obligitory clowns)
2 Yellowstripe Maroon Clownfish
or
2 Ocellaris Clownfish

Mandarin, Spotted
Jawfish, Yellowhead
Blue Jaw Tilefish

Blue Tang

Velvet Multicolor Wrasse

If you can think of a good reef fish that will get along with the clowns, chromis, and cardinals that I have missed here please let me know!

Tarasco1
11/26/2003, 07:48 PM
I think that you have a good mix of fish. Two things you should be aware of: 1. The chromis will sometimes pick off the weakest one or two of them, so even if you start off with 6, you might end up with four or three. 2. The Mandarin needs a good pod population. Your tank size will be good in this regard, but you might not want to add the mandarin right away.

Other good reef fish that I like are the fairy wrasses and royal gramma.

DaveC
11/27/2003, 08:48 AM
Sounds like a good mix if not all added at the same time, but you probably already know that...the madarin should be added maybe 8 months to a year down the road, unless you have a refugium to supply constant food supply.....the chromis should be not problem, the cardinals will not school, or at least my my friend got 3 of them and there are solitare in his tank...also keep in mind that the pods that do multiply and will be used as food for your madarin...the wrasse will be eating all of them...wrasses constantly pick at the rocks and sand beds for these critters..they even turn over smaller rocks looking for pods, worms etc....so you may want to forget about the wrasse, they will also eat smaller shrimps etc....with a madarin you will want all the live food your tank can produce..most will not accept frozen foods..

DaveC

David P
11/27/2003, 08:52 AM
I know in smaller tanks Cardinals will tear each other apart, hopefully not a problem in that size tank.
Jaw fish are well known jumpers so keep the tank covered with plastic egg crait.

I completely agree with what is said about the dragonette

Fknippenberg
11/27/2003, 12:23 PM
You mention covering the tank with plastic egg crate? Would you happen to have a picture of how it looks. I am considering some possible fish with jumping potential and have steered away from them thus far because of my open top.

Thanks

David P
11/27/2003, 11:38 PM
go to home depot or Lowes in the lighting section. Its white, about 1/2 thick with 1/2 squares.

octopussy
11/28/2003, 09:34 AM
Go with the Ocellaris Clownfish. The maroons can be trouble.