PDA

View Full Version : 29 gallon Livestock

MIDNIGHTREEFER
11/26/2003, 01:13 PM
Will a pair of small percs be too much in my 29 gallon with what I already have? (in my sig)

elefink
11/26/2003, 02:13 PM
I think so.

despot101
11/26/2003, 02:17 PM
I plan on having 5 fish in my 29 but I wont have a puffer. To me it would depend on how much waste the puffer causes, excess food and such.

Vicious
11/26/2003, 02:25 PM
1" of fish per 5 gallons. So at say 30 gallons, you're cool with 6" of fish. The thing to remember is plan for adult size of the fish, not the current size.

The Valentini will grow to about 4", the Yellow Tail Damsel will max out at 3" and the Lawmower Blenny also comes in at 4". Total 11"

Since you only have 10lbs of LR, and no mention of a sump. I think you would be better to stay where you are. For a 29 Gallon tank you might consider adding more live rock average is 1 - 1.5 lbs per gallon for filtration. The other option if you must have another fish is RELIGIOUS WEEKLY water changes.

Ruminari
11/26/2003, 03:11 PM
I think you would be fine adding the 2 clowns, but I've heard that puffers have a strong fin nipping tendency. Also as far as 1" of fish per 5 gallons of water that is completely false. If this was the case you could only put 1 1/2 to 2 fish in a 30 gallon tank!!!!! In my reading I have read 1" of fish per 2 gallons of net (total water - LR). However, even that is not true. It really depends on what type of fish that you have and how much LR and filtering you have. For example if you have fish that are all column swimmers or bottom dwellers then you can't have as many of them. However if you mix and match have some column swimmers, some bottom dwellers, and some that just hang around their caves you can definitely get up utot 1" per 2 gallons. You have a good start with what you have already with the lawnmower which occupies different space than the other fish. As far as the weekly water changes I do mine bi-weekly and usually change around 4 gallons. I would suggest adding the additional LR however trying to get the ratio up to 1 lb per 1 gallon or a littler higher.

MIDNIGHTREEFER
11/26/2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. As far as the puffer goes, the only thing he pics at are the snails, but he can't seem to kill one. He swims side by side with the damsel. Their buddies. The only problem I had with it was my coral banded body slammed it on the sand the first day it was in the tank. But its always grumpy with newcomers. About the rock, my next big addition will be power compacts and maybe 20 more lbs of rock. And with the sump, I'm gonna wait until I get my 55 gallon and use the 29 for the sump :D Can't wait!!!!
I want a 75 actually, but all I have is a CPR Bak-Pak skimmer and don't feel like going through the whole waiting for someone to buy it, and losing money, and shipping, and ordering a remora, etc. Happy Thanksgiving

Vicious
12/01/2003, 09:32 AM
The low amount of Live Rock is why I suggested a lower amount of fish in the tank. Looking at my post I suggested he could in fact add the extra fish but would need to increase the amount of live rock. 1" per 5 Gallons is still pretty standard without the 1 - 1.5 lbs of Live Rock to handle the additional filtration.