PDA

View Full Version : How long for PVC cement to cure?

KCReefer
11/26/2003, 01:00 PM
Hopefully someone has this answer. I had to fix a leaking fitting that required new PVC pipe be cemented in. How soon after using the cement can I place the piece back into service? Is the presence of the cement smell an indication that the cement has not fully cured?

EricM
11/26/2003, 01:09 PM
I like to wait 24 hours to make sure the cement is fully cured. If it is not, you risk flushing it right into your tank.

JHardman
11/26/2003, 01:24 PM
If you read the can of glue, you will likely see a 24 hour recommended curing time. However this is the recommendation taking into consideration pressure. Which most SW tank plumbing will never see.

Personally I have used new joints in a matter of minutes without any problems. I would recommend that you rinse the new joint with plain water for a few minutes to help get rid of the fumes if you can not wait. Waiting would be better, but if sooner is better, you will be OK.

KCReefer
11/26/2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have the part in my garage now with a high volume of air blowing through it. I'm thinking this may expedite the process. I don't want my system to be down for 24 hours but with the air purge followed by a good water flush maybe I can shorten the process to maybe 8 hours. I had to rebuild my overflow bulkhead fitting which started leaking. Unfortunately, the PVC pipe is cemented to the fitting and had to be cut out.