PDA

View Full Version : I just got my TBS live rock

LowCel
11/26/2003, 09:01 AM
I picked my TBS live rock up from the airport last night. Thanks to US Air it arrived 3 hours late, but anywho. After I picked it up I headed straight home to check out my score. WOW, thats all I could say. I have never seen anything like this. It is definately worth the extra money. There is more live rock on one rock than there was on the entire 20 pounds that I bought from the another internet company a few months ago. This stuff is amazing. I ordered 30 pounds of live rock from them, I didn't weigh it but I am almost positive that they sent me extra.

Thanks again for all of the advice on this rock everyone. I am very happy with my decision to order it.

I have pics of the live rock at this link. (http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/443036814)

Here is a pic of my tank before I added the TBS.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/55swtank.jpg

Here is my tank after adding the rock. What a difference 30 pounds can make. I just wish that these pictures did the rock justice. There is more color in my tank now that I could have ever hoped for.
http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/fulltank2.jpg

shilo_1
11/26/2003, 09:52 AM
Wow - it does look like you got a great box of rock !

LowCel
11/26/2003, 10:00 AM
Only thing I don't like is that it has a bunch of clams attached. I guess that is normal though.

sambo
11/26/2003, 10:02 AM
How much? Rock? Shipping?

LowCel
11/26/2003, 10:04 AM
Rock was $168 including boxing. Shipping was $45.

It seems expensive but still cheaper than at the lfs and much nicer. Last time I ordered online I got 22 pounds for a little over $100 from another company. I might as well have just bought dead rock when compared to the TBS.

David P
11/26/2003, 10:05 AM
???? you dont like clams? Why not, besides cool looking theyre great filters for the tank.

LowCel
11/26/2003, 10:07 AM
I dunno, don't guess I really have a problem with it, just makes placement a little harder since the things open and close. Can't really have any other rock on top of them.

BTW, I really like that signature. Couldn't be more true!

jun_celis
11/26/2003, 10:17 AM
Wow! I thought I was looking at my tank. It looks almost exactly like mine including the stand, only in 75 gal. Nice rock work...

Dexter1334
11/26/2003, 10:38 AM
I have been reading posts on this site, and most say clams are really hard to keep. Is that just the big colorful ones, and are these easier? I am planning on ordering the package from LFS soon myself, your pictures just make me more certain :)

LowCel
11/26/2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys. Jun_celis, right now I am wishing that I would have went with a 75. Who knows, a year or two from now my freshwater 125 may become a reef.

Dexter, these clams are not like the nice pretty ones. I think these things could live thru anything. I could be wrong though.

lllosingit
11/26/2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Dexter1334
I am planning on ordering the package from LFS soon myself.
Are you ordering TBS rock?
If you are i'm just curious, Why would you order it thru you LFS?
If you order direct from TBS they ship airport to airport so you get it a few hours after they box it up for you.
I'm just thinking the LFS is going to make some money on the deal and it may not get from TBS to your tank as quickly as it would if you picked it up at the airport yourself.

intrudah
11/26/2003, 11:20 AM
Looks nice

pbs911
11/26/2003, 11:20 AM
Looks good. I can't wait to get mine. I'm planning on the 55 gal package for my 80 gal. and adding some Figi and Tongan rock from other sources.

Did you get any unwanted hitchhikers aside from the clams?

LowCel
11/26/2003, 11:40 AM
Yeah, some unidentified crabs, I got most of them out by setting the rock on newspaper for 20 minutes like the instructions said. I have found one more in the tank so far, I got him out already but I think I still have one more. I am also hearing a clicking noise. I'm hoping it's not what I think it is.

I have also found a couple of Aiptasia so far, I'm using joe's juice on them so they should be gone soon.

Overall, I'll take the little bit of bad that I have found for all of the good anyday.

Dexter1334
11/27/2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by intrudah
Looks nice
Must have been tired after a 13 hour day and three hour commute,:eek1: We will be ordering the "Package" from TBS, and not from LFS. I bought a piece of LR from the LFS and the only thing I can see on it is some bubble algae and a little piece of red coraline. Nice shape, but seems lifeless. Not worth $45 to me. I will probably put it in the quarantine tank, no loss if I have to sterilize it down the road and reseed it in the main tank.
We just got the light from Marineand reef.com. We went with VHO and moonlights, didn't want to deal with MH and the heat and electric bills, We can always add a MH pendant later. THe lights are awesome. As soon as we figure out our water recycle and maybe get a water filter we will be ordering from TBS :)