PDA

View Full Version : Erratic behavior

leggzzz
06/26/2001, 09:27 PM
I have a sailfin tang which is now swimming extremely erratically, very fast, bumping into things, etc. I had 2 other fish who have died after this behavior, a trigger and a damsel....

I tested the water, and everything seems to be ok...what could be wrong?

FMarini
06/27/2001, 10:10 AM
Hi:
let me ask a few questions....what is of concern here is that you've had a few fish in your tank do the same thing. If it were only one fish then I could place a guess, but since you have had a few fish do this, I will say it has to do w/ 2 events. 1) your husbandry, 2) something in your tank.
So...what do you feed your fish? exactly?
Can you name anything going on w/ the tank, that you think might be the problem???
swimming real fast, and bumping into things, could be a signs of distress, neurooigcal problems, diease or any combo of the three. WE got to figure out what is causing this in your tank. From the way you wrote the thread it appears to be contagious/transmittable/ or a common event between these three fish...
So help me here......start searching your husbandry techniques, and work thru the foods, your tank maintence practices, and finally possiblities of disease transmissions
frank

JohnL
06/27/2001, 12:24 PM
Frank, could stray current in the tank cause this behavior?

FMarini
06/27/2001, 04:47 PM
John:
thanks for the comment....
I guess stray current could be a problem. At high enuf levels it could effects the nervous system, and it certainly could result in the fish "darting", and having a confused posture. Best of all since many of his fish were effected...
Excellent idea
frank.

Mr Nasty
07/25/2001, 12:34 PM
I agree with johnL sounds like stray current to me. Check all your submersible power cords for cracks and breaks. Also pick up a grounding probe and install in your system