PDA

View Full Version : White patches from SD

intrudah
11/25/2003, 09:47 PM
I used SD & LS for DSB and after every thing settled there are white patches on my tank from SD, I tried to use the algae magnet but it didnt do much any ideas how to clean these patches w/o harming the livestock, here is a pic of the patch on bottom left side of the tank.

intrudah
11/25/2003, 09:49 PM
some more patches on the back

intrudah
11/26/2003, 01:13 AM
anyone?

striker3636
11/26/2003, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by white patches, and I couldn't really see much in the pictures...
If you mean the white gunk that's left on the inside of the glass by the silt storm, 90% of mine came right off with my magfloat algae magnet, and I got the rest cleaned up using a new plastic pot scrubber pad.... It won't scratch glass, but I don't know about acrylic as I've never had an acrylic tank... I doubt if it would...
If, by white patches, you meant on the rock from the silt settling, just use a turkey baster to blow it off...
Hope that helps...

intrudah
11/26/2003, 10:04 AM
Its the white junk thats left on the inside of the glass, I used the algae magnet but didnt used the scrubber pad yet, will try today, Thanks man

Foster
11/26/2003, 10:42 AM
If your tank is glass - use a razorblade! Is it like a calcium deposit?

intrudah
11/26/2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by platapus
If your tank is glass - use a razorblade! Is it like a calcium deposit?

Nope not calcium deposit, it looks like I pasted glue on the glass, sorry about the pics, its from a ancient web cam

skylsdale
11/26/2003, 12:19 PM
I have the same problem with using PureAragonite--which is silty as well. I just transferred stuff from a glass tank (where I had the same problem) to a smaller acrylic one...and now I have the patches again. I don't know how to get them off without shaving off a few layers of acrylic. This is a pain.

icebear
11/26/2003, 12:23 PM
yep i had that too, i just used a razor to remove it and was careful around the silicone

intrudah
11/26/2003, 11:53 PM
Tried razor blade and pot scrubber but both didnt work

MDLR1
11/26/2003, 11:59 PM
just use yrou hand if its inside the tank and still wet. if its outside the tank and dried get a wet papertowl its just sand grit

intrudah
11/27/2003, 12:02 AM
its inside the tank, so far I have tried algae magnet, razor blade,brush,pot scrubber, was think about lowering the water when I do water change and try some vinegar on a paper towel

icebear
11/27/2003, 12:22 AM
really suprised the razor didn't work....

you didn't use a Norelco right? those won't work ;)

*stumped*

intrudah
11/27/2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by icebear
really suprised the razor didn't work....

you didn't use a Norelco right? those won't work ;)

*stumped*
I tried Mach III, oops forgot there are 4 blade razor also.. do u know there is a lawsuit against Gillette for saying that it gives the world's best shave, lol

striker3636
11/27/2003, 07:30 AM
wow...You've got something weird going on there... I just put 6 bags of SD in my 150 last weekend, it's all settled out now... I had a little bit of silt stuck to the sides, but it certainle came off easy with the old magnet/pot scrubber...
i removed mine pretty much as soon as the siltstorm cleared and I could see, so within two days.... Has yours been sitting longer, and maybe had a chance to harden a lot more? Can't believe the razor won't get it off!

icebear
11/27/2003, 08:52 AM
the silt crust i had on my 30g was there for about 4 months cuaes i had no time for getting everything else going and didn't really notice it untill i got the time to finish, thats why i'm really stumped that the razor didn't work...i figured mine was a good example that the stuff never gets too hard for a shiny new blade

intrudah
11/27/2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by striker3636
wow...You've got something weird going on there... I just put 6 bags of SD in my 150 last weekend, it's all settled out now... I had a little bit of silt stuck to the sides, but it certainle came off easy with the old magnet/pot scrubber...
i removed mine pretty much as soon as the siltstorm cleared and I could see, so within two days.... Has yours been sitting longer, and maybe had a chance to harden a lot more? Can't believe the razor won't get it off!

Mine is been there for about 3-4 weeks, yeah I'm a lazy sob, lol, Gonna try the razor blade again and see what happens

intrudah
11/27/2003, 11:23 AM
steak knife did the job, thanks guys