PDA

View Full Version : when should i start testing calcium, etc

Forestal
11/25/2003, 09:06 PM
Hello everyone, I now have a 2 month old tank. see my website for details. It is cycled with live rock, and a DSB fully functioning.
Specific gravity 1.025, pH 8.2, temp 76-78, ammonia/nitrite 0, nitrate <2,
phosphate 0.5-1 (am trying to figure out how to install my new aquasafe ro/di unit)

I do have several corals/sponges, tunicates, sea stars, macroalgae as hitchhikers.
should i be testing calcium and supplementing if low? what level should i keep it at?
i can't seem to measure it well, my durn test kit has violet and blue (tough to tell when the change happens) anyone recommend a good test kit?

thanks from a newbie

cwbroden
11/25/2003, 11:44 PM
You should probably test before you put anything in to get a baseline. I try to keep mine around 450. Depending on what you are keeping dictates how high you need to keep that level.

The testkit I use is the Seachem Reef Status Calcium.

dragon_slayer
11/25/2003, 11:51 PM
the Salifert test kits are good and i recently done a side by side testing between it and the much cheaper Hagen kit and over 3 months with 20 some odd tests each, they both proved to be very good kits.

you should keep your Ca between 400 and 450 IMO.

but with only LR and a few hitch hickers you really arent using that much Ca in your system right now and may not need to add any at all. depending on the salt mix you are using water changes can keep up with what your tank needs at the moment.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/mar/features/1/default.asp

check out this link for the different salt mixes out there, its an excelent source for related levels in newly mixed water.

hth
kc

Forestal
11/26/2003, 07:34 PM
thanks for the replies,
I am using the hagen test kit, and i really can't distinguis between their pink and violet colors, will try to get another test kit and see if i can use it better.

dragon_slayer
11/26/2003, 08:29 PM
belive it or not Hagen is one of the better kits for Ca (Ca only mind you).

there is a color chart on the back of the instructions to compair to, they tend to be good kits.
kc

Forestal
11/26/2003, 09:53 PM
the color chart on the back is tough for me to differentiate (and i'm not color blind either :D)
i will practice it during daytime see if it makes a difference

dragon_slayer
11/26/2003, 11:10 PM
all test kits are best color compaired in natural daylight. out in the sun, but not direct sun.

hth
kc

marm64
11/26/2003, 11:48 PM
I have the Salifert and like the fact that it changes distinct colors, I can't remember if it goes from pink to purple or vice versa. THe alk goes one way and the calcium goes the other way. It ir because of the goofy colors that I bought a cheap pH meter, is it light or dark purple or a possible a medium purple. I like is it red or blue no confusion there.

Forestal
11/26/2003, 11:50 PM
yeah, i agree, i will look into other test kits. maybe my eyes are getting old :(

thetedinator
11/27/2003, 12:23 AM
Dan,

I like your inverts! Where did you get 'em. Did they arrive with the LR?

Good luck with CA.

Ted

jdieck
11/27/2003, 12:39 AM
Seachem kit changes from pink to Blue very sharply and I have found it as accurate as the Salifert although a little more cumbersome because you need to dilute the sample (no big deal) but if it is contrast youare looking for this might be it.