PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone mixed LR and LS sources with good results?

pbs911
11/25/2003, 05:11 PM
The tank will be ready for LR and LS in about a week. There are lots of good pics and reviews on several sources of LR and LS. I was thinking about mixing sources to get 1/2 TBS, 1/4 Figi and 1/4 Tonga LR. Are there any conserns about mixing LR and LS from different geograhic locations? I'm thinking it may provide more variety.

jdieck
11/25/2003, 05:24 PM
A combination of rocks will give you flexibility to set up the rock scape in different ways, I used Fidji Which is mostly boulder like large for the base and smaller sizes as I move up. In between I used Tonga plate which is flat to create caves by setting the plate between three rocks and continue the scapework on top of the plate. For a finish some pieces of tonga branch or a branching rock will give variaty and break the monotony of a pile of rocks.

FOr sand I mixed Fidji LS and Florida Keys LS. More for grain size and life variaty than for arrangement or coloration.

This link will give you a good idea.

http://www.harboraquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Store_Code=HA&Screen=Aquascape

Do not finish rearrenging until it is finished. By that I mean do it until it is beautiful to your and you are completely satisfied, once it is full of corals and such rearranging is a major project.

jdieck
11/25/2003, 05:35 PM
This link will give you an idea of the shapes I am talkin about.

http://www.harboraquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HA&Category_Code=LR

Jacksonbriggs
11/25/2003, 05:38 PM
i got 3 different kinds of rock in my tank. some cheap base rock, 30 lbs gulf view rock and 20 lbs fiji. got some cool looking caves now and my tank looks much fuller.

pbs911
11/26/2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks. It looks like a mixture is the way I will go. Thanks for the links jdieck. Those pics are the reason I asked the question. Looks like you can obtain some really nice aquascape using the various forms.

jdieck
11/26/2003, 11:54 AM
:thumbsup: Y'r Welcome!