PDA

View Full Version : Okay, need help ASAP

EMS1
11/25/2003, 02:54 PM
I know that there are a ton of posts in regards to marine ich. I have a newly aquired hippo tang, obviously due to their succeptablity, it now has ich. Eating very well, and is eating with garlic mixed in food, I also read that they need to be fed three times a day. Now I read here that an eight minute freshwater dip won't hurt it. True? I am now going to try and turn up tank temp to 82 degrees. I read about hyposalinity, I have a measurement device, however I don't know exactly how low to bring it in a fifty five gallon tank. Quarantine, or hospital tank not an option due to finances. Other fish are fine, anthias looks to be itching on the bottom, but I don't see any physical spots. The hippo only has ten or twelve spots. It has been in my tank for about a week. Am I on the right track, or if not point me to it. Thanks I know you guys get these questions a lot, but I am hopeless when it comes to this.

reef-man_d-man
11/25/2003, 03:03 PM
I wouldnt do anything to drastic, keep doing what you are doing and watch it for a few days, you should be fine.

aquaman67
11/25/2003, 05:24 PM
If it's eating, you could soak the food in garlic. That may help. If you'd like more info, try a search on 'garlic' on here. Good Luck.

aquaman67
11/25/2003, 05:28 PM
DId you see this? (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=274862)

EMS1
11/25/2003, 08:02 PM
So here is the really really big problem!! This happened three months ago. I got a blue tang, who died three days later, all of a sudden I have ich over six different fish. Clown, bicolor anthias, hawkfish, regal tang, flame angel, and a pink wrasse, all dead! So I left the tank alone. I added a uv lamp, and also killed off an anenome due to chemicals. I now am after two long empty months started to restock the tank. First addition was damsel, who of course lived. Then I have added a new anenome, a clown fish, and attemtpted to add a six line wrasse. The six line died the next day, and then I got a new one who died two days later after adding. I know it's not water quality, I know that I do enough water changes, I do one every week. I am about ready to sh#t can the whole thing. I don't understand why these tangs keep bringing it in. Now I have added a red cheek anthias, and also a gobie, for cleaner purposes, and the regal tang. The tang has twenty or so spots now. He is being fed, and east like heck, but I now see the anthias itching, and I am starting to get concerned. The big question is: I have a scotts fairy wrasse waiting for me to pick up at the fish store, and I am scared to death to put him in the tank. I just went and bought a cleaner shrimp today. I guess is there a possiblity that the gobie is stirring up crap from the live sand, and live rock that wasn't being cleaned before? I have realized that the brown stuff on top of my live sand was algae, and now the gobie is eating that. I have a black serpant star, in attempt to maintain cleanliness of the live rock, I just am not sure what else there is to do, but hope and pray that I don't lose these month old fish. If I freshwater dip them, which ones do I do, and for how long? What should I have my fifty five gallon tanks salinity at for hyposalinity? What is a good temp for the tank? I thought that 74 was okay. Also would lighting have anything to do with my problem? Sorry everyone for my novice knowledge. I think the fish run and hide when I come through the door at the fish store. Kinda like Darla on Finding Nemo.

gold
11/25/2003, 08:06 PM
why dont you add like ten cleaner shrimp? they eat ich like theres no tomorrow. I cant believe no one has sadi this already. Dont shut your tank down dude. I have been in the same place. You will be happy with it one day.

EMS1
11/25/2003, 08:18 PM
What fish will the cleaner shrimp clean? If any? Will they skim the bottom along with the gobie?

thetedinator
11/25/2003, 08:22 PM
EMS1, I know that a quarentine tank is not an option for some people. Could you try segregating the new arrivals for a while so you don't run the risk of losing everything again?

Mariner
11/25/2003, 08:22 PM
Ok, FW dips are not going to be very helpful without a quarantine tank to put the fish in and treat, IMO. Dips will help clear a fish of ich, but do nothing to clear your main tank of the ich parasites that remain there in various stages of life cycle. Dips can also stress fish, which is one of the factors that make tangs susceptible to ich to begin with. The time to dip is BEFORE putting a fish in the main tank -- this MIGHT clear parasites and prevent problems before they get started.
Whatever you do, DO NOT add another fish to this tank until the ich problem is resolved -- no signs of ich for 4 weeks.
FWIW, my Regal Tang showed what looked like ich off and on for a few weeks after first being added (this was after a FW dip and 2 weeks in Cupramine at the LFS). I added a cleaner shrimp the same day I added the tang, and then just made sure he was well fed. He's doing fine now. Adding the cleaner shrimp MAY help your situation as well.
HTH,
Mariner

n240sxle91
11/25/2003, 10:04 PM
If you didn't have fish in your tank for two months the ICH wouldn't be in your sand. ICH can't live more than 4 weeks without hosts (fish). So what happened was you brought it in again with one of your new fish. If you don't think they will recover on their own, get some QT's and treat them in there. Don't but anything back in your main tank for another 4 weeks. If you keep the fish in your tank and they live... wait until you can't see ANY ICH on the fish and then wait another 4 weeks before adding new fish. If you want a Tang, go with a Yellow Tang. They are much hardier than the hippo tangs, IMO. Hope this helps!

skipm
11/25/2003, 10:46 PM
I also think that it is a good idea to keep a couple of cleaner shrimp in the tank, they do not clean the bottom of the tank but do offer their cleaning services to any of the fish that want it. I noticed my clownfish go over to one of my cleaners the other day for a bit of cleaning, this was the first time I ever saw the clown go in for a cleaning. This may not cure your current problem but it should help and will also help to prevent it in the future. A hospital/quarantine tank is the best answer there but as you already said that is not currently an option for you. If you still have the UV sterilizer that may also help. I hope all turns out well. Good luck, Skip

n240sxle91
11/25/2003, 11:03 PM
I agree with skipm. Good luck to ya!

EMS1
11/25/2003, 11:12 PM
Thanks everyone, the cleaner shrimp amazingly has already helped the anthias. It wasn't more than ten minutes, and the anthias was over there for a good cleaning. I hope that this helps them. The UV sterlizer is still on, and I am thinking that it is just the hippo tang that is having the problem. Like on of the reply's said, I am hoping that my tang does the same that theirs did. Show the ich for a couple of weeks, and then it was gone. I am not picking up my scotts fairy wrasse for obvious reasons. Thank God my store will keep him in their systems for awhile till this issue clears up. Thanks again everyone.