PDA

View Full Version : My New Maxima From Clams Direct

Diehl
11/25/2003, 02:19 PM
I got my new Maxima from Clams Direct today:D I was worried a couple of days ago because the test kit I was using { Seatest} was showing my Calcium at 700:mad: But Barry from Clams direct said that my kits might be bad so he sent me a Calcium and Alk kit from Salifert. Now my readings are Calcium: 480 and my Alk is 6.0:rolleyes: Is this OK? My clam looks very healthy it was even opened and squarting water at me when I opened the bag:D My tank has been set up for 6 months and I allready have another maxima in my tank for a month now. But I'm still learning with clams. I posted a picture of my clam and a picture of my tank so can see where I placed him. Should I still keep him on the sand since he is new to my tank? My lighting is Duel 175watt Ushio 10K MH's and duel 110watt VHO actinics my tank is 90gal but Barry from clams direct said my lighting is fine as long as I put him on the rock work. So could you tell me what gapping and other problems to look out for? Also I took out all my Blue legged hermits because of advise from you guys;)

Diehl
11/25/2003, 02:20 PM
And a picture of my tank:)

TacoKing
11/25/2003, 02:23 PM
The only thing you want to be careful with when putting a clam on the rocks is it will attach itself and you will have one heck of a time ever removing him. So if you put it some place expect it to be there for ever :)

How large is the clam? It looks to be around 4" or so. If it's any smaller you might want to suppliment its food by feeding live DT's or something similiar.

-TK

Diehl
11/25/2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by TacoKing
The only thing you want to be careful with when putting a clam on the rocks is it will attach itself and you will have one heck of a time ever removing him. So if you put it some place expect it to be there for ever :)

How large is the clam? It looks to be around 4" or so. If it's any smaller you might want to suppliment its food by feeding live DT's or something similiar.

-TK

Yes its 4 inches, but i will still feed it DT's;)

Diehl
11/25/2003, 02:45 PM
Also I noticed a thin stringy thing coming out of his siphon? Is this bad or normal? Also by the picture of my tank is it OK where it is or should I put him somewhere else?

Maxxumless
11/25/2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Diehl
Also I noticed a thin stringy thing coming out of his siphon? Is this bad or normal? Also by the picture of my tank is it OK where it is or should I put him somewhere else?

Is it brown and stringy? Probably expelling excess algae as it adjusts to your lights. It will show you its displeasure with its placement by finding its way to the sand bed. They usually prefer being on the bottom, but that doesn’t mean it wont stay on LR.

Diehl
11/25/2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Maxxumless
Is it brown and stringy? Probably expelling excess algae as it adjusts to your lights. It will show you its displeasure with its placement by finding its way to the sand bed. They usually prefer being on the bottom, but that doesn’t mean it wont stay on LR.

Thanks for the reply:) Should I put him back on the sand? I thought it would be OK since he came from better lighting:rolleyes:

cwbroden
11/25/2003, 11:46 PM
Nice clam. Real rich color.