PDA

View Full Version : Never buy a Yellow damsel

intrudah
11/25/2003, 12:23 PM
I bought this yellow damsel few months ago I had him in the main tank but he harrased every fish and always covered my musroom with LS, I finnaly took him out when I was moving the tank and put him in QT, day before yesterday my 2 yr old dumped a cup of choc milk with some cookies in the QT so I had to get him out and put him in the main tank again( felt bad for the wrong fish) now my main tank has a mini sand storm and water is murky sand on the LR and corals I cleaned the corals and rocks with turkey baster this morning and he is doing it again, trying to trap him but so far unsucessful
Any ideas to capture this a**hole real quick?

toddpolish
11/25/2003, 12:27 PM
should be..."NEVER buy a Damsel".

intrudah
11/25/2003, 12:29 PM
I have a Domino and a blue damsel and I never had any problems with them

Fizz71
11/25/2003, 12:30 PM
How long have you had them?

intrudah
11/25/2003, 12:34 PM
Over a year

pr4mncplus
11/25/2003, 12:34 PM
Take him to your LFS and let them sell him (or her) to some other unsuspecting customer. Damsels are only good if they are all together without any other varieties of fish - unless they are more aggressive than the damsels.

Fizz71
11/25/2003, 12:39 PM
Your tank's a 72 so you might never have a problem. I had a YT Damsel for years that was fine in my 75 as long as everybody stayed clear of his zone. Damsels in general are just very nasty and territorial; not your typical happy-go-lucky "community fish".

The only way you're going to get that other guy out is to empty the rock out again, or get him used to eating in a net or a plastic bottle and trap him. Good luck with that. Those suckers are quick.

--Fizz

intrudah
11/25/2003, 12:58 PM
I agree they are fast, I tried to leave the net in the tank with food but he dont get out of the rocks and when he does he is so fast that I dont even get a chance to move the net, think I'm gonna try the bottle method, thanks guys

greg s
11/25/2003, 05:31 PM
I HAVE TWO YELLOW DOMINOS THAT ARE HUGE ABOUT THE SIZE
OF A HAND EACH...TWO SM YLLOW DAMSALS AND A BLU DAMSAL
THAT STARTD THE TANK OVER 2 YRS AGO...ALL ARE JUST FINE
AND HAPPY...BUT I ALSO HAVE SOHAL AND VILIMIN TANG TO KEEP IN CHK...JUST A THOUGHT :-) SORRY ABOUT CAPS LOCK!!

reiple
11/25/2003, 06:08 PM
I've had a Lemon Damsel for a year now. Not only is it docile and retiring, it is also a bit sensitive to low levels of magnesium.

PITA for me were Dominoes (one even tried to bite me), Blue and Yellow Tailed and Black Lyretail Damsels.

Bad thing about the Lemon Damsel is it's tendency to "dig" and disturb the sand bed.

Cloud_88
11/25/2003, 10:53 PM
i used to have a yellow damsel, really nice till my blue damsel bullied and eventually killed it. sooo... i gave the blue damsel to my friend so his huma-huma trigger could keep him in check! huma is a great fish tho, he's tought it a few tricks like petting it and hand feeding

intrudah
12/02/2003, 03:01 PM
Finally cought him today, I took a cube of frozen food, stabed a paper clip in it so I can make it look like the cube is floating :), I had the fish net right beside the cube and slowly after the damsel started eating I took the net lil closer everytime and finally bam, cought the sob

pubily
12/03/2003, 08:59 AM
Interesting issue...the member had asked how to catch the damsel. Most replies were just general experiences people have had with damsels...and NOT how to catch one.

We need to read the original questions better and answer the issues people post. That's a very frustrating thing with RC.

reiple
12/03/2003, 06:56 PM
The original message was structured in the manner;

Title --->negative on a yellow damsel

beginning, experiences and then the concluded action (catch and remove the damsel). Finally a question on how to get one.

So reactions were properly given as to any positive thing about yellow damsels (or negative), experiences and a few how to catch it (Fizz71 message).

Bottom line on so called issue you mention in experience sharing: much ado about nothing. ;)