PDA

View Full Version : Just had first Sump disaster, help in how to recover

SunDragon
11/24/2003, 06:03 PM
I came home to find my 75 gallon tank overflowing today. :eek2:

Apparently snails dont fit to well through half closed ball valves. :D

I had closed my drain line ball valve about half way to lessen the ammount of bubbles reaching my sump, and a snail had made his way over the overflow, and down the durso only to get stuck at the ball valve. This caused my return pump section of the sump to run dry, and my top off to start adding fresh water. This coupled with the drain line not being able to flow the water back down caused the display tank to overrun.

Since im a moron and didnt heed the advice of others, I had my top off switch turn on my ro/di unit which directly feeds the sump.:mad2:

My SG droped from 1.024 to 1.020.

My zoo's, finger leather, colt, BTA, and GSM clowns dont seem to have noticed, and are acting completey normal (or are fully opened).

I immediatly siphoned out the excess water, and did a 20 gallon water change with 1.024 water that brought my salinity up to 1.021.

How should I go about raising my salinity back up to the 1.024 that it was at?

Rock Anemone
11/24/2003, 06:10 PM
Sorry to hear about what happened! Glad everything turned out ok.

I would slowly raise the salinity back up by adding a bit of saltwater to the top off water over the course of around 4-7 days. Don't want to raise it to fast.

Hope everything gets back to normal!

Rock Anemone :D

SunDragon
11/24/2003, 06:22 PM
Should I just make up a batch of 1.024 saltwater and make that my top off resivour until things get back to normal?

I guess what im asking is how much salt are you talking about?

nyforests
11/24/2003, 06:56 PM
Just take it slow, use salt water for your make up water and test often. Good Luck!

Rock Anemone
11/24/2003, 08:45 PM
That should be more then fine. Just add the water slowly.

Rock Anemone:D

Kirk_M
11/24/2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by SunDragon
I came home to find my 75 gallon tank overflowing today. :eek2:

Apparently snails dont fit to well through half closed ball valves. :D

I had closed my drain line ball valve about half way to lessen the ammount of bubbles reaching my sump, and a snail had made his way over the overflow, and down the durso only to get stuck at the ball valve. This caused my return pump section of the sump to run dry, and my top off to start adding fresh water. This coupled with the drain line not being able to flow the water back down caused the display tank to overrun.

To keep snails out of your overflow box, you can take some of that black plastic gutter guard that they sell at Ace hardware (and maybe elsewhere), cut it to shape, and place it over the top of the overflow...makes a nice screen to keep anything from crawling over the top.