PDA

View Full Version : Ich question

Jacksonbriggs
11/24/2003, 04:36 PM
had my hippo tang in hospital tank for a week now treating with Quick Cure. How long is this suppose to take before he gets better or any better treatments I can use? thx

vgibbens
11/24/2003, 04:38 PM
Read this article about ICH. It has some good info: http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

Jacksonbriggs
11/24/2003, 04:53 PM
is quick cure not a good thing to use then? I don't believe that copper is good for a hippo tang i believe.

hwynboy
11/24/2003, 05:44 PM
hyposalinity is the best method to rid your tank/fish of ich.
Do a search for hyposalinity and you will have more reading than a night of study hall. ATJ has a lot of good information if you can find his posts.

OH and BTW anything that read "Quick _____ " in this hobby is a BAD thing stay away from it. JMO. The only thing that is quick in this hobby is a Turbo snail....(who ever came up with that name?!?!)

yiorgo
11/24/2003, 06:18 PM
Hi Jacksonbriggs,

I have the exact same situation with you. I have my hippo tang in a hospital tank with itc/bacterial infection. I tried cooper ( which is supposed to be the best approach ) but my hippo got worse (I made sure that cooper did not exceeded 0.3ppm)....to be honest I am quite supprised about this...cooper is supposed to work very well. I started very slowly in my hospital tank lowering the salinity with a very small water change amount every day. At the moment I am at salinity od 1.014 and from what I've been reading you have to decrease I can decrease the salinity to 1.01.
The good news is that my hippo is starting to get better allready!
I will keep him in there for another two to three weeks, and then start the reverse process to aclimate him back to a salinity of 1.022 before I put him back in my reef tank.

Well its my first time doing this, if anybody with more experience has better instructions on how to apply hypposalinity, Jacksonbriggs and I will appreciate any suggestions.

Good luck,

my hippo tang is one of my favorite fish, but unfortunatelly from what I've been reading there are very succeptible to diseases....but I have not given up yet...as I said he is getting alot better by the day!

ATJ
11/24/2003, 07:48 PM
Hyposalinty (http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html)

You will need an accurate device for measuring the specific gravity or salinity. A refractometer (available from most Mail Order places) is highly recommeded.

Quick Cure is malachite green/formalin which has been shown to be ineffective from marine "Ich". It might work for freshwater "Ich", but that is a very different parasite.

hwynboy
11/24/2003, 08:15 PM
thanks ATJ I knew you would chime in.

yiorgo
11/24/2003, 11:10 PM
Great article on hyposalinity,

thanks ATJ

Yiorgo

smokie
11/25/2003, 12:54 PM
Your the man ATJ. I knew you'd be able to help him out.:thumbsup: