PDA

View Full Version : Oxygenating water good/bad?

newbienz
11/24/2003, 02:08 PM
I was wondering if oxygenating water is a good or bad thing? I have a PH that has can produce air bubbles if I install an air tube? Is this good for a reef tank?

MalHavoc
11/24/2003, 02:18 PM
oxygenated water is a good thing, but bubbles are not necessarily good. They can irritate coral tissue. Usually, vigorous water movement and protein skimming can help aerate your tank water without having to resort to bubbling devices.

newbienz
11/24/2003, 02:20 PM
I don't have a skimmer. Can't find one small enough for my 12g nanocube. Any suggestions?

aquaman67
11/24/2003, 02:48 PM
Are you atlking about the JBJ NanoCube?

I have one I'm going to get up after Christmas.

You could get a small powerhead and point it toward the surface to help with gas exchange, or figure out a way to turn the output on the Cube up toward the surface.

What are you plans/what's in your cube? I'm still looking for ideas.

I'm thinking a dwarf seahorse tank maybe...

newbienz
11/24/2003, 11:41 PM
Yup, thats it. The JBJ Nanocube.

Sounds good.

I currently have in my cube.

1 x Pseudochromis (Bi-Color)
2 x Peppermint Shrimp
7 x Cerith Snails
1 x Turbo Snail
4 x Bumble Bee Snails
1 x 5 branch Fine Grape Coral (Frogspawn)
1 x 5 branch frogspawn
4 x mushrooms (not sure what kind)
1 x 1/4" flower pot that was given to me by my GF from her tank
1 x medium button polyp
1 x long spine urchin
1 x bali feather duster

Bunch of copepods and amphipods. And common feather duster worms. Plus worms galore.

:: Dwarf seahorses sounds pretty cool. The only sea horses I have seen around my area are standard size ranging from 3"-5" in length. Good luck with it.

dragon_slayer
11/24/2003, 11:47 PM
seahorses and fish arent a good combo in any tank, the fish out compeate the sh for food and they starve.

kc

newbienz
11/25/2003, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the info I will remember it for the feature, but I don't plan on getting sea horses [or any time in the near future] since I've heard that they are extremely hard to take care of.