PDA

View Full Version : HELP Overflow toilet

KingTitan
11/24/2003, 12:08 PM
I cant seem to find too much on what the heck to do with my overflow. i finally filled the tank up last night and got the pump going, and the over flow makes a lound unbearable toilet sound. what can i do to make it more silent? my tank is drilled at the top ends, 3 inches down 4 inches in from the side. i have and elbow pointing up and a mag 9.5 as a return. ive tried sticking straws for air but then the water level starts to rise. any help on this?

aquaman67
11/24/2003, 12:19 PM
I don't have an overflow, but i remember a fix called a 'durso standpipe'.

Try doing a search for that and see if you can use it.

ezhoops
11/24/2003, 12:39 PM
also do a search for a stockman standpipe. Either durso or stockman standpipes will most likely cure your problem. They did mine and are very easy to build yourself.

KingTitan
11/26/2003, 05:43 AM
ive looked at these before but my problem is that i have the TOPS of my tank drilled, how can i have a dtand pipe in this situation? what else can i do? ive tried turning the elbow downwards but that creates a siphon and it drains so fast my pump cant return fast enough and i ended up overflowing the sump, ive also tried putting a ball valve on the drain but its impossoble to set it exactly so the return and drain are equal, even though its seemed i had it right after 8 hours my sump was down 2 inches and my main tank was at the top, about 20 mins away from overflowing. was i given wrong advice on where to drill my tank on this forum? am i screwed? ive already spent so much money, i would hate to call it quits right now.

sls
11/26/2003, 01:25 PM
I HAVE THE TOP OF MY TANK DRILLED ALSO. I DID AN EXTERNAL DURSO STANDPIPE, WITH A SMALL OVERFLOW BOX WHERE MY ELBOW IS IN THE TANK. WORKS GREAT. NO NOISE AT ALL.

Sloth
11/26/2003, 03:52 PM
NO WORRIES!

Don't even think of getting out of the hobby. I had the exact same problem with my tank. My pipes are flexible tubing, so I was able to play around a little more...

IMO - you don't need to build any fancy standpipes.

The toilet sound comes from the air that is trapped in the pipe. Since the end of the pipe is submerged in the sump water (right?) the air has nowhere to go but up, and it burps and gurgles when it comes out the overflow and then causes a flushing sound as water starts to come down again. To release that air pressure, drill 2 or 3 small holes in the pipe a few inches above the sump water line. (if it doesnt work you can always plug them with something and write me a nasty-gram) But its so easy, you have to at least try it.

Make sure you get the holes in an area where water isn't following the side of the pipe. This will be difficult without clear tubing, so maybe just drill a few holes all the way around the circumfrence of the pipe and make sure if any water does come out, it goes into the sump and not on the floor.

The drain (pvc elbow in the tank) will still make some noise as the water and air dump down into the pipe, but it will be MUCH less. And you can play with your return flow settings to "tune" it until its silent. You will also have bubbles coming into the sump from the velocity of the water falling through the pipe. And the air that was once trapped and causing flushing sounds will just come right out the holes you drilled.

Look at the end of my thread on nano-reef.com
http://66.98.194.185/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13090&perpage=20&pagenumber=2