PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it supposed to smell?

jarhead
11/24/2003, 09:52 AM
The stuff that the skimmer pulls out? I hear all these stories how people faint while cleaning out their skimmer. I cleaned my skimmer twice already and both times the gunk didn't smell at all. Am I just lucky or should I be concerned?

mrudman
11/24/2003, 09:58 AM
Lol, you may just be lucky.... wouldn't worry about it... at least the skimmer is pulling stuff...

The stuff my skimmer pulls doesn't really smell all that bad either...

If your stuff is pretty liquidy (not thick), you may want to lower your riser a little bit... that would probably make it smell a bit more... and wouldn't pull so much water out.

But if it's fairly thick, then I wouldn't worry at all.

pcmechanix
11/24/2003, 10:03 AM
I have run a sponge filter, a pad filter, and a skimmer. It all smells the same, like dead seafood.

jarhead
11/24/2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by mrudman
If your stuff is pretty liquidy (not thick), you may want to lower your riser a little bit... that would probably make it smell a bit more... and wouldn't pull so much water out.

But if it's fairly thick, then I wouldn't worry at all. Well, the foam does look dry, but eventually it turns into a liquid in the collection cup.

dc
11/24/2003, 10:50 AM
I don't mind it at all, kind of earthy smell!:D

wooglin
11/24/2003, 11:19 AM
I dry my skimmate into sheets, roll it, and smoke it. ;-)

jimsta
11/24/2003, 09:21 PM
LMAO

Ger
11/24/2003, 09:44 PM
It doesn't have to smell. Some people are more sensitive than others....

Lunchbucket
11/24/2003, 11:27 PM
my super reef devil and hang on skimmers NEVER produced foul skimmate...it was as described above "earthy"...smelled like dirt. after i got my Euro-Reef ES5-2 it is NASTY stuff. i have NEVER smelled skimmate like that till now. one of my buddies had the EXACT experience as me...might be the quality of skimmer/skimmate

Lunchbucket

MattG
11/24/2003, 11:47 PM
my experiences have been somewhat like lunchbuckets. i had a seaclone 150 that would pull skimmate out but it never smelt. now that i have a euroreef i seriously hate cleaning the collection cup. its the most foul disgusting smell you can imagine. its been known to make me gag but i wouldnt want it any other way :smokin: