PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn

Mexican Hermit
11/24/2003, 09:12 AM
Hey all,

I have a frogspawn that seems to not be doing OK.

As you all know the Frogspawn has different sections. I have a Frogspawn that has 4 (I am not sure what they are called) sections. One of them is very small and half of it has died.

I was wondering if any of you might know why. All of my params are right ad I just did a 20% water change last Thursday.

Please and thanks for the help,

MalHavoc
11/24/2003, 09:24 AM
Is there any visible sign of a brown jelly infection on the head that is dying? Has anything changed in the tank recently? Mind posting the water quality measurements just for giggles?

Mexican Hermit
11/24/2003, 09:37 AM
Malhavoc,

The only thing I have noticed is that that Frogspawn does not open as much as the others. All other corals seem to be OK. One thing, I noticed my Sarco is not opening either...

Params:

Ph: 8.3
NH3: 0
Temp: 81
Salinity: 1.025
No2: 0
No3: 0
Calcium: 150
Kh: 10
Gh: 10 ml.
Phosphates 0
Silicates: 0

jay24k
11/24/2003, 10:17 AM
Isn't 150 a bit low for calcium? I'm not sure if they benefit off that but considering their base is a stone type, I'm sure it would have some benefit.

Mexican Hermit
11/24/2003, 10:23 AM
Oooops 450 calcium.

Maxxumless
11/24/2003, 11:01 AM
There are so many different things that could be wrong. For one, Euphyllia is a very reliable water (parameter) judge, i.e. they are very sensitive. The good thing is if it is branching one colony dying does not take down the whole. How long have you had it? Perhaps it was already sick. Euphyllia don’t ship well because they damage easily. Did you notice anything on it? Did a colony just up and die or did it bleach first?

Mexican Hermit
11/24/2003, 11:11 AM
It just shriveled up and died. It was hanging for a while and then fell off. (No pun intended).

I have had it for 3 weeks now. Could it be the heat?

Maxxumless
11/24/2003, 11:31 AM
How close to the light do you have it? Not that MH would kill it, but it could have been a combination of things. They appreciate moderate light and don’t do well under direct MHs (usually). Did you notice it expelling a lot of algae (brown stringy stuff) in the first couple of days? With these types of corals you have to look around the area the tentacles (polyps) join the tissue part of the base. This is the area they are most often get damaged at. They seem to like areas with moderate light and moderate water flow – just enough to make them sway gently.

Watch the other branches closely and move it to another spot if it doesn’t look happy. Did you happen to take a picture of it as it withered? Did it loose its color? It might have been stung by something close by if that is the case.

Mexican Hermit
11/24/2003, 11:41 AM
It seemed to be fine. I have it at the middle bottom of the tank and it sways gently. As I mentioned before, the other tentacles are full and expanded. I really do not get was wrong. Maybe it was sick as you mentioned.

Maxxumless
11/24/2003, 11:47 AM
My guess is that colony was damaged in transit. It is the mostly common death of these types of stony corals.

Mexican Hermit
11/24/2003, 11:50 AM
It was fine when I got it and it was a week in the LFS. There was no jelly coming out of it. When I first placed it in the tank a little looking cobweb came off of it but that was it.

????? Very weird

Maxxumless
11/24/2003, 11:54 AM
Yes, when it comes to coral disease we are still learning a lot. There are many types of more openly distinguishable maladies, but when they simple fade away it leaves us with more questions than answers.

Mexican Hermit
11/24/2003, 11:56 AM
I hope it is not contageous