PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon FO... what fish to add...?

n240sxle91
11/24/2003, 05:29 AM
This will be my 3rd saltwater system that I have. I am starting a 55 gallon tank that will have only fish (no LR or LS). I have all of the filtration worked out except for the skimmer. On my other two tanks (29 and 10 tied together) I am using an AquaC Remora. Anything cheaper that would work on this FO system? My real question is this, what are your thoughts for fish in this tank? I have a Flame Angel that will be moving into this tank after everything else has been added. I was thinking about starting with some Blue Green Chromis. Then I would add a Yellow Tang. I would then add a Threadfin (Auriga) Butterfly. After he was added I would then add the Flame Angel. All of the fish wouldn't be fully grown. I also plan on moving it all into a larger system in a year or so. Do you think these not fully grown fish would be ok in a 55 gallon tank for a year or two? If not, what fish would you add instead? I'd like to keep the fish hardy. Thanks!

3_high_low
11/24/2003, 01:03 PM
Here's some fish I'd consider nice for a 55g:

A pair of Percula or Ocelaris clowns. One Neon goby. One black cap basslet or 2-3 royal gramma. Maybe some clown gobies. I think a Flame angel is a nice choice for a center piece. I think those fish would make for a colorful and active display with an acceptable stocking level. Personally, I'd pass on the larger fish you mentioned, even if they are small when you add them. I just don't like seeing my fish pace the tank - they look nervous and to me it's not relaxing to watch, never mind how they might feel about it. I certainly wouldn't consider both the BF and the YT a good fit in a 55g. But that's just my 2 cents.

DaveJohnson
11/24/2003, 01:28 PM
a few thoughts:
1) I'd never do a yellow tang and a threadfin unless large tank(240+ gal) with lots of hiding places. YMMV.
2) When I think of the word "hardy", tangs and especially butterflies do not come to mind.
3) My flame angel spends much of its time swimming in/through the rockwork. What sort of cover will you have for the flame if not LR?

Sorry, I don't really have any ideas on alternative fish beyond what 3_high_low mentioned. All my tanks have lots of LR so my fish selection is more geared towards that type setup.

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

brianlena2000
11/24/2003, 01:47 PM
My flame angel spends much of its time swimming in/through the rockwork. What sort of cover will you have for the flame if not LR?

I agree with Dave. IMO/IME, dwarf angels benefit greatly from the presense of liverock (they will graze on it and it provides a sense of security for them).

kbaker721
11/24/2003, 03:59 PM
Heres what I have in my 55 gal - been about 3 mos with no problems...
1 heraldi angel
1 coral beauty
2 ocellaris clowns
1 purple psuedochromis
1 teardrop butterfly

Been no problems, all are healthy and active. No real aggression issues yet either. And my angels, esp the coral beauty, love the rock work, they swim in and out of it all day and pick at it continuously...

n240sxle91
11/24/2003, 08:06 PM
Well, I guess I can see how the Flame Angel would like the LR. I planned on using just Lace Rock and Tufa Rock. My reason behind that is that I would be able to add medications without worry of killing my LR. DaveJohnson, actually the BF and the Yellow Tang are two of the most hardy fish you can get. 3_High_Low, I can see what you're saying about the "Pacing" thing. For that alone I might reconsider my picks. I would like to have one more large fish with my Flame Angel. He's in my 29 right now but he picks on my Yellow Head Goby sometimes. So I figured the Flame would rather be in the 55 gallon. Do you think not having LR would really make him that uncomfortable? Thanks for the thoughts so far guys!

n240sxle91
11/25/2003, 12:11 AM
Also, I plan on using 2 standard florescent bulbs. What do you think the best combo would be? I was thinking either one 10,000K and one 03 actinic. Or maybe a 50/50 and a 20,000k? Any ideas?