PDA

View Full Version : Advice on placing LR in the tank

shilo_1
11/23/2003, 11:36 PM
Ok....I've been "playing" around with the new LR, and wanted to know if anyone had any tips on how to get it to stay in place ?

I was told that it is best to place the pieces of rock together so as to allow good water flow between the pieces, but when I tried this, it didn't seem to make the whole thing extremely stable. I know that this can only mean trouble, ie. if a rock should fall and hit the glass, or fall on something and kill it. How stable should the pieces be ? I guess what I'm asking is how rough are most saltwater fish ? I know in freshwater, a lot of the fish like to dig and push on stuff and would easily topple anything that was not glued down. lol

How do you all get your rock to stay where you put it ?

DouglasTiede
11/23/2003, 11:47 PM
marine glue, or make platforms out of pvc to hold and support
the LR, you can make bases set the LR on it and fill around with sand. I am a newbie, but i hope this helps a lil

Konadog
11/23/2003, 11:48 PM
It's like a big puzzle, try to interlock each piece, leaving enough open space for water flow. One thing you can also do is to build stands out of PVC pipe to set the first few rocks on if you are using a DSB to keep the rock out of the sand. You can also build a rack out of egg crate to stack the rock on and use rap-ties to hold things together.
Usually, interlocking pieces work and the only time things shift is when you try to re-aquascape to make things look better.

rmendis
11/23/2003, 11:50 PM
Underwater epoxy is also a great help when aquascaping. You can mold it to "lock" your rocks into place.

shilo_1
11/24/2003, 02:36 PM
I'm sure the epoxy would work great, but I'm not sure I want to make the whole LR sturcture so permanent.

Thanks for the info though ! :)

rmendis
11/24/2003, 03:30 PM
If you use a two-part epoxy putty like Aquastick, you can still take the rocks apart with a little force. It's not 100% permanent, but it's a lot stronger than gravity alone.

shilo_1
11/24/2003, 03:55 PM
Ahhhh....ok, now that sounds better. lol (I had the picture in my head of a HUGE 150lbs boulder after using epoxy to glue everything !) Thanks for letting me know.