PDA

View Full Version : ick had won again? HELP!

ichforever
11/23/2003, 11:18 PM
ok ick has killed all my fish yet again. how can i get rid of this problem. all my water tests seem fine. but everytime i buy a new fish, in one week its covered in ick. any suggetions right now while there are no fish in the tank.

bachtor
11/23/2003, 11:21 PM
This might be helpful:

ATJ's Marine Ich (http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html)

ichforever
11/23/2003, 11:34 PM
can a cleaner shrimp carry any signs of ick? do you think if i leave my tank fish free for six weeks, and just have the live rock and the cleaner shrimp it will be totally ick free.?

saltaholic
11/23/2003, 11:38 PM
Ich has been covered extensivly on this board. You will find all the info you need by searching "ich" throughout the different forums on RC, paticulary the disease and treatment forum is a good place to start:) Hope this helps

By the way WELCOME to RC the superhighway to everything you need to know about SW aquaria :wavehand::celeb1:

hwynboy
11/24/2003, 01:52 AM
no fish in your tank 5-6 weeks WILL break the cycle...when you do get new fish though..you HAVE to QT them before putting them into the tank again so as not to reintroduce ICH.

carribeanlovers
11/24/2003, 05:56 AM
What kind of fish are you getting? Are they always the same type?

thedude
11/24/2003, 11:56 AM
In addition to waiting for the ich to cycle out, and quarantining new fish. You could also consider soaking your fish food in garlic. Garlic treatments seem to have a really dramatic effect on ich.

Although no one really has a concrete reason why it works so well.

hwynboy
11/24/2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by thedude
In addition to waiting for the ich to cycle out, and quarantining new fish. You could also consider soaking your fish food in garlic. Garlic treatments seem to have a really dramatic effect on ich.

Although no one really has a concrete reason why it works so well.

not always....I have lost fish to ich that eat nothing BUT soaked food in Zoecon Selcon and garlic. IMO garlic is an old wives tale (though I still soak my food in it =p) It is definitely not a cure to ich. Some fish develop a resistance to ich....whether or not it is garlic related is a very debateable topic. to date no scientific facts on garlic curing ich has been shown.

jay24k
11/24/2003, 12:48 PM
Is it from the same store? The store might be the problem and you keep introducing it to your tank.