PDA

View Full Version : Clams and Acros--Filtration ?'s

fishermike
11/23/2003, 08:32 PM
I am setting up my new 15 g nano for clams and stony's. I will go with 175W MH lighting but am struggling with the filtration decision. I have an acrylic tank with a 14" opening on the back so I am limited to equipment that will fit. The tank will be in my bedroom next to the bed so noise is also a concern. My questions are these:

Can I go without a skimmer and do weekly 10% water changes?

Go with an external canister like the Fluval or Eheim professional?

Go with the Eheim wet dry canister filter?

Use my Aquaclear 200?

Something that I am missing?

If I go with the canisters I will hang an aquafuge refugium on the back. I do not want a sump so I am really struggling with this decision. I am not as concerned about the cost as I am providing the proper water quality for what I want to keep. Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

fishermike
11/24/2003, 10:09 AM
Anybody?

Joe Masyga
11/24/2003, 11:40 AM
This tank size and what you want to keep in it are not compatible and you should really rethink this the clams get way to big for this system the MH will be to bright in such a shallow system unless you hang them at least two feet above the tank and refugium should be at lest 15g to grow the right food for your live stock choices although you should not keep the giant cams in this tanks and you probably will need to do 10% water changes every other day to keep good water quality do check out this web page www.wetwebmedia.com lots of good info and will help you avoid disaster with this really to small of a tank for any marine life. Should look into a bigger tank it will be more stable

hwynboy
11/24/2003, 11:45 AM
you will also have heating issues...with a tank that small and MH you can raise the temperature VERY quickly....so you will either overheat the tank or you will have less light, I mean a LOT less light period like an hour or two tops. I would get a larger tank. JME though...It's what I have dealt with.

fishermike
11/24/2003, 01:52 PM
A larger tank is not an option at this time. This is for my bedroom and must be a nano. I am thinking of hanging the MH's 12" off of the water from the bottom of a bookshelf. Will heat still be an issue? Clams might not be the best choice for this set up but I would really like to go with stoney corals.

DaveJohnson
11/24/2003, 02:04 PM
Have you been to http://www.nano-reef.com yet?

Good luck!

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

hwynboy
11/24/2003, 02:05 PM
I have a 30 gallon tank with one MH over it and I cant get enough light exposure time wise....the tank heats up VERY quickly. So in a matter of about 2-3 hours I have to shut off the lights or the water will be too hot. I have mine about 10 inches off the water and there is no top. So I don't know.

Joe Masyga
11/24/2003, 03:14 PM
Forget the MH power compacts should be fine with such a small tank keep the lights as close to the tank as possible and get the best wattage that will fit your tank. I would keep one or two sps of the same type to help with chemical war fair corals some times have when they are competing for space.

fishermike
11/24/2003, 03:30 PM
I can fit 130w of PC right on the tank, will that be enough light?

Joe Masyga
11/24/2003, 03:52 PM
Lighting should be fine, do remember that water quality can change very fast in this small system if even the littlest thing goes wrong do look into getting a bigger tank when possible it will make things easier for you and don't keep more then two small fish (adult size)