PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum

reefer_honey
11/23/2003, 06:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum as well as to this hobby (2.5 months, what a newbie i am :confused: ). Just wanted to say hi to everyone out there. Also wanted to ask, how long it takes for a tang to get acustomed to a tank? We got a yellow tang on last friday, and it still seems awfully shy. :strange:

Will it ever come out from the bank of the tank??? :eek2:

Reefmedic79
11/23/2003, 06:11 PM
Welcome to RC fellow newbie. From what I've learned a 2 omonth old tank may still be to young for a tang. He's only been in the tank for 3 days? Keep an eye on him I just recently lost a butterfly due to acclimation problems he only lastedabout 4 days.

reefer_honey
11/23/2003, 06:18 PM
sorry to hear you lost a fish fleet. Thanks for the advice tho...I will definitely keep an out out for the tang. I didn't realize that a 2 month old tank may be too young for a tang. I'll keep you posted.

Another question for you. I also have Percula clowns, and was told they will host to anything. Since my tank is so young, an anemone would never make it, however my clowns aren't hosting at all...even tho I have a xenia, green hair polyps as well as a mushroom polyp. ANy ideas??

Quicksilver
11/23/2003, 06:27 PM
Welcome to RC! I have had a tang that has been in an established tank for a while and he still seems to be a little jerky and nervous still to this day. He does not seem to be scared (just overly cautious), so his motion might be normal. But I am a newbie just like you so don't take that to heart. Mine will eat out of my hand if I don't move very much, but the first time you make a move he hides(just to return in just a few seconds to finish eating). Keep an eye on him. Good luck! You'll love all the info you can get on this site.

Reefmedic79
11/23/2003, 06:42 PM
My Percs haven't hosted to anything also the seem to have adopted a bed of zoo's though. I've heard pros and cons about adding an anemone to a reef tank but personally I don't plan on putting any in mine. I know that anemones are notoriously indecisive about where to stay put and therefore move around the tank stinging the corals in the process. I've seen some gorgeous long tentacle plate corals that look like anemones (In fact I thought they were anemones) that have been known to be hosted by clowns and I plan on getting one. They also have stinging tentacles but they can't move so you just keep others away.

Reefmedic79
11/23/2003, 06:43 PM
Also I may be wrong about the 2 month thing being a newb myself.

cwbroden
11/23/2003, 10:44 PM
Welcome aboard reefer_honey.

swims withthe fishes
11/24/2003, 12:37 AM
Welcome to RC reefer_honey :D
my percs go back and forth from my toothy brain coral and a rather large white tip hairy muchroom, they used to host my goniopora till i moved it to the sand bed(where it belonged in the first place). if they find the need to host something, they will. if you want something to draw them to it, try anything that resembles anemone, that's soft and has some sort of tentacles.
good luck.