PDA

View Full Version : Snail deaths...found the copper...

llebcire
11/23/2003, 12:30 PM
Rather large pictures...fixing this today and doing a water change.

Thanks for all of the help from the forum!!!http://home.mchsi.com/~llebcire/

llebcire
11/23/2003, 01:16 PM
BTW-
Someone already informed me of the corelation between the wet/dry and high nitrates...I'll be working on that as well...

lllosingit
11/23/2003, 01:23 PM
Yep that will do it.
Just curious Did you know we have our own forum Greater Iowa Reef Society (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=247)

MarkS
11/23/2003, 01:31 PM
Let me guess... Setting up new tank... Conversation with LFS employee about what type of plumbing to use... Sold on copper tubing because it will help to prevent ick outbreaks...

Right?

BTW, don't worry about the brass hinges. They are corroding due to salt spray in the stand. This is not a problem because they do not come into direct contact with the tank water.

MarkS
11/23/2003, 01:39 PM
Also, I'd replace the metal clamp on the return pump with a plastic one. You can get them online and at some hardware stores.

llebcire
11/23/2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by MarkS
Let me guess... Setting up new tank... Conversation with LFS employee about what type of plumbing to use... Sold on copper tubing because it will help to prevent ick outbreaks...

Right?

BTW, don't worry about the brass hinges. They are corroding due to salt spray in the stand. This is not a problem because they do not come into direct contact with the tank water.

Actually, no...not at all.

Came across this entire set-up at a lfs, was selling it as they didn't need it, used to be a saltwater show tank (must not have had inverts). I bought the whole setup initially for my Cichlids, but my GF suggested that I try saltwater.

After doing some research, and realizing what I had, I decided to give it a try. Tank is 75 gallon Oceanic overflow with stand, Amiracle wet/dry, eheim 600 gph pump, Red Sea Prizm skimmer, Hagen 802 powerhead, Rena Cal 300w submersible, and Helios 4x55 watt 50/50 PC light. Also came with +/- 50 lbs "dead" rock, and crushed coral substrate...all for $500.

For the most part, everything that I needed. except for a few things that I will change (DSB).

Thought that I'd politely respond versus being an arrogant a$$ as well...

llebcire
11/23/2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by lllosingit
Yep that will do it.
Just curious Did you know we have our own forum Greater Iowa Reef Society (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=247)

Wow! Thanks for the info! I'm going to look through the forum in a bit...had no idea.

MarkS
11/23/2003, 02:09 PM
Not being arrogant at all... That just seemed like something a LFS would do. :D Not a bad price either, but they should have mentioned the copper. It's a nice set up, but I'd remove the bio balls and put a good skimmer in there.

Do a search on copper. I've read everything from removing the copper will clear things up to having to completely tear down the tank and replace all of the rock and sand. My understanding is that the rock, sand and even the silicone joints will absorb the copper ions and release them back into the tank even after the piece of copper has been removed. This may be a problem if you were planning on a reef set up. :eek:

llebcire
11/23/2003, 02:22 PM
Two thing:

1. When they sold it to me, I never mentioned/had any intention of going marine. I set it up, so I should have noticed.

2. The people working there probably don't have any idea that it's a bad thing...store is going through some changes, and I've never purchased any livestock there.

The local marine only store that I deal with is under the impression that only the silicone will retain the copper for any length of time.

llebcire
11/23/2003, 02:23 PM
Question-

I thought that the Prizm was a fairly good product?

MarkS
11/23/2003, 02:36 PM
Sorry that you took offence to that. It really was not directed at you. LFS employees are notorious for giving very bad advice. I remember reading in one of the many LFS threads where a LFS employee gave just that advice. "Copper plumbing is great because copper kills ick" or something like that. :lol: I've got a strange sense of humor... ;)

Any porous item in the tank will hold onto the copper. This includes the live rock and in between the sand grains. It will slowly leach out. The problem is that there is no way to tell for sure until it's too late. Any creature that burrows into the rock or sand will suddenly release this stored up copper. In the mean time all tests might indicate that you have zero copper in the tank. A year or so later and you can't keep an invert alive... :eek:

Prism skimmers are good. I did not see one in the pics, so I thought you did not have one. :o Sorry... They are not the best skimmers, but should work. You'll definitely want to upgrade in the future. Then again, you may never have trouble with it. Some people cannot get it to pull anything out and then others shower it with praise. Only time will tell.

llebcire
11/23/2003, 04:27 PM
I found that setting up the Prism was the key, if not done correctly, it will either fill up with saltwater (clean) or not do anything. Mine fills up in about a week or so, but if I clean it I need to baby it for a few days.

I'm planning on changing my crushed coral to a DSB over the next few weeks, that should help alleviate some of the copper. My marine only lfs told me to run extra carbon for a month or two to help get rid of it.

lllosingit
11/23/2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by llebcire

I'm planning on changing my crushed coral to a DSB over the next few weeks, that should help alleviate some of the copper. My marine only lfs told me to run extra carbon for a month or two to help get rid of it.
Carbon won't do a lot for the copper you should look into something like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4185&Ne=40000&R=7824&Nao=9&N=2004+113066

llebcire
11/23/2003, 08:11 PM
Thanks!!

Looks like a great product, and if they carry it, it should at least do somthing. I'm ordering some tonight along with a media bag.

Thanks again for the info!